PDA

View Full Version : No tools in toolkit. No spare key in glove box!

7amadabmw
07-15-2012, 02:52 AM
Hey guys,

I just bought a cpo 2010 535xi from a dealer in Canada and noticed its missing the tools and the spare key. The tool "box" is there and the adapter for the spare key is in the glove box but no key.

Dealer said BMW does not do that anymore! He also said that about the missing flashlight!

Why would BMW leave the adapter in the glove box and not have a key, same for the tools?

Thanks

johnniek
07-15-2012, 06:21 AM
I conatacted my dealer about this as well...I bought a CPO 2009 528ix....he said you get 2 keys and that's it...what gives? It's in the owners manual about the spare key and the adapter....

bigmacslim
07-15-2012, 08:59 AM
I purchased my 2008 CPO almost a year ago and I was missing the same thing. The little plastic key I really never bothered with but I did get an emergency road kit and tools on ebay for about $30 total.

NoQuarter
07-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Anything is negotiable when you buy the car. Afterwards tough luck.

I don't think CPO means replace everything that someone took out of the car when they traded it in. That is up the sales guy and the buyer.

On BMWs I always check that both keys work including comfort access and I check the tool box. I have tried to get the glove box key but that can be hard because it does cost a couple hundred $$. Tools they can take out of another used car on the lot :).

Another time, I wanted different wheels and they had me go out on the lot of used cars and pick out whatever I wanted.

Gilgorm
07-15-2012, 12:39 PM
I purchased a CPO 08 535i back in 2009 and the plastic key was NOT included although the holder was securely mounted in the glove box. I specifically asked for the valet key but was told they don't provide them anymore. The so-called tool kit was one double-ended screwdriver, the Z shaped Allen key for the sunroof and the tow hook.
My 2012 535i X-drive doesn't even include the sunroof key and there is no place for the flashlight. There are no valet keys since the centre console is key-lockable and there is a switch inside it to prevent the trunk from being opened.

NoQuarter
07-15-2012, 12:47 PM
I purchased a CPO 08 535i back in 2009 and the plastic key was NOT included although the holder was securely mounted in the glove box. I specifically asked for the valet key but was told they don't provide them anymore. The so-called tool kit was one double-ended screwdriver, the Z shaped Allen key for the sunroof and the tow hook.
My 2012 535i X-drive doesn't even include the sunroof key and there is no place for the flashlight. There are no valet keys since the centre console is key-lockable and there is a switch inside it to prevent the trunk from being opened.

The glove box key is not a valet key if that is what you were referring to. Does your key FOB still have the removable metal key?

7amadabmw
07-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Anything is negotiable when you buy the car. Afterwards tough luck.

I don't think CPO means replace everything that someone took out of the car when they traded it in. That is up the sales guy and the buyer.

On BMWs I always check that both keys work including comfort access and I check the tool box. I have tried to get the glove box key but that can be hard because it does cost a couple hundred $$. Tools they can take out of another used car on the lot :).

Another time, I wanted different wheels and they had me go out on the lot of used cars and pick out whatever I wanted.

Unfortunately because it was in a different city, I bought it over the phone and just flew there to pick it up.

7amadabmw
07-15-2012, 01:45 PM
I purchased my 2008 CPO almost a year ago and I was missing the same thing. The little plastic key I really never bothered with but I did get an emergency road kit and tools on ebay for about $30 total.

Good call! I will check out ebay. But it would've been nice to have the spare key. I am known for losing things.

Gilgorm
07-16-2012, 10:42 AM
The glove box key is not a valet key if that is what you were referring to. Does your key FOB still have the removable metal key?

Didn't mean to mislead. The new F10s have a lockable 'centre console' that is locked with the removable metal key from the remote key fob. Inside the centre console is a switch that 'locks' the trunk lid. So, for valet purposes, you hand over the key fob, minus the metal key, after you have slide the trunk locking switch and locked the centre console.
Clear as mud? but it works.

Mulchman
08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
The plastic spare key is $50 from the dealer. I just bought one but it won't start the car. Works on the locks but is not recognized in the ignition as a good key. Dealer is not sure why.

NoQuarter
08-09-2012, 02:05 PM
The plastic spare key is $50 from the dealer. I just bought one but it won't start the car. Works on the locks but is not recognized in the ignition as a good key. Dealer is not sure why.

Doesn't sound right to me. That plastic key has the same functionality as the regular key meaning it contains the coded elctronic chip that starts you car. $50 for that from BMW is in the category of way too good to be true - no wonder it doesn't work :)

Mulchman
08-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Found a thread about keys (fobs and spare) being disabled on the car (BMW OBDII thing). Makes sense that when I bought it they would disable the spare key that was not going to the new owner. So I need to get an indy BMW or dealership to re-enable the spare.

But true story. I had the little piece from the glove box and the Dealer (Devon, PA) charged me $50 for the new key.

Took one day to get it...now if only it worked :)

NoQuarter
08-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Found a thread about keys (fobs and spare) being disabled on the car (BMW OBDII thing). Makes sense that when I bought it they would disable the spare key that was not going to the new owner. So I need to get an indy BMW or dealership to re-enable the spare.

But true story. I had the little piece from the glove box and the Dealer (Devon, PA) charged me $50 for the new key.

Took one day to get it...now if only it worked :)

So you are saying the dealer sold you a key and didn't even try to code the car to make it work?

Mulchman
08-10-2012, 05:04 AM
So you are saying the dealer sold you a key and didn't even try to code the car to make it work?

Selling the key is a parts function. You give them the VIN and they order it. They have nothing to do with and no way of knowing if the car has had the key disabled. That would be a service function and require a tech to connect an OBDII and enable the key.

When I bought the car (non-BMW dealer) it came with one fob. They ordered and gave me a second fob, but I had to go to a dealer to get it activated. I believe this is the same issue.

Mulchman
08-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Update: I just ordered this from Ebay. $50 SSS / Progman are the programs I need to enable the key. If it works I will have paid for the cable and software by skipping this one trip back to the dealer. I'll let you know how it goes.

Once again Special Thanks to Yorgi (from the 6 series forum) for providing someone else with information that lead to another solution for me :thumbup:

BMW USB Diagnostics OBD Cable Interface lead Ediabas Inpa DIS SSS Progman GT1

This cable allows full Coding , Programming and Diagnostics for your BMW. Everything you need to get up and running is included with the cable (drivers, instructions, software etc). This uses the latest quality chipset and also comes with the latest drivers. It plugs in directly into your USB port for simplicity and ease of use.

Comes with INPA , EDIABAS , DIS / GT1 (v57) , SSS / PROGMAN (v32) , NCS EXPERT , NAVCODER + Much more

Maini
08-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Hey guys,

I just bought a cpo 2010 535xi from a dealer in Canada and noticed its missing the tools and the spare key. The tool "box" is there and the adapter for the spare key is in the glove box but no key.

Dealer said BMW does not do that anymore! He also said that about the missing flashlight!

Why would BMW leave the adapter in the glove box and not have a key, same for the tools?

Thanks

I have a used 2010 535xi and it came with 2 Fobs with metal keys in them.. both work
It came with an adapter in the Glove box and a plastic spare key. Yes BMW gives the plastic spare key which when used with the adapter in the Glove box works and drives the car... it is in the book!!

7amadabmw
08-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I have a used 2010 535xi and it came with 2 Fobs with metal keys in them.. both work
It came with an adapter in the Glove box and a plastic spare key. Yes BMW gives the plastic spare key which when used with the adapter in the Glove box works and drives the car... it is in the book!!

Yeah that's what I thought. I guess the dealer didn't have it and made up this whole story how Canadian bmws don't come with the key/tools in toolkit anymore

Theduke
08-10-2012, 08:24 PM
I also have a 2010 535 I xDrive and it came with 2 fobs/metal keys and 2 plastic keys. I just pulled the generic fob from the glovebox and checked the plastic keys. One would start the car, one would not. I was thinking the one that started the car would limit the power, but it would not. It also worked to open the driver door, trunk and glovebox. The only thing it would not do is the things the regular key fob does (because there are no buttons on it).

NoQuarter
08-10-2012, 09:38 PM
I also have a 2010 535 I xDrive and it came with 2 fobs/metal keys and 2 plastic keys. I just pulled the generic fob from the glovebox and checked the plastic keys. One would start the car, one would not. I was thinking the one that started the car would limit the power, but it would not. It also worked to open the driver door, trunk and glovebox. The only thing it would not do is the things the regular key fob does (because there are no buttons on it).

Limit the power?

Theduke
08-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Limit the power?

I guess at i was thinking is that the plastic key in the generic fob would have put the car in a "valet" mode and limited the power of the car and limited the access to the glovebox and trunk. Not sure were i got the idea from.

What is the point of the two plastic keys? Why not make them all metal orall plastic? Why 4 keys? BMW makes money on everything else, why not just charge for extra keys? And if the cheap plastic ones do everything that the normal key does, we pay $500+ for a button to open the locks, trunk and panic?

I suppose I have a lot of reading in the manual to do, but it seems bit odd

NoQuarter
08-11-2012, 09:25 AM
The plastic key is a considered a "wallet" key to have as an emergency spare.

For valet you remove and keep the metal key. Use the metal key to manually lock whatever you want to lock. The valet uses the fob to start the car.

cliftonbishop
03-10-2014, 02:02 PM
where in the glove box is the spare key adapter located ? any picture ?