PDA

View Full Version : Coolant vent pipe replacement

tommyv
07-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Hey all - my coolant vent pipe that runs on top of the radiator broke and I bought the replacement part. The problem is that the replacement part does not come with a hose clamp (on the radiator side of the part) and I'm not sure how to remove the existing hose clamp. To clarify, the end of the pipe that connects to the radiator is the one that has this type of hose clamp. below are pics of the clamp and the new part. Does anyone know how to remove this clamp. Also is it re-usable on the new hose?
I've also included a picture of where the pipe broke for reference.
thanks!

borderchris
07-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Just buy a small hose clamp. It's a factory crimp-type; the easiest way to replace it is to cut it off along with about 1/4" of hose. Attach it to the new pipe with the small hose-clamp. AZ sell 'em for about $1.

tommyv
07-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for he response Borderchris. The problem is that the existing clamp is attached to the radiator so i need to remove the clamp from the car before installing a new one. Do i need to use wire cutters or similar? Thanks again

borderchris
07-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Ahhh... OK. I'm assuming it's attached to a metal fitting? If so, still be careful, but use a set of needle-nose to gently open up the clamp with a twist. You can also cut it off, but again, be super careful of the fitting itself. It may help to cut the hose first, and then work on the clamp.

tommyv
07-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Exactly- it is attached to a metal fitting. I'll take your advice and see if i can get it off. Thanks for your help and I'll report back

bimmerfan52
07-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Ahhh... OK. I'm assuming it's attached to a metal fitting? If so, still be careful, but use a set of needle-nose to gently open up the clamp with a twist. You can also cut it off, but again, be super careful of the fitting itself. It may help to cut the hose first, and then work on the clamp.

Good word of caution. Use a gentle touch.
Lots of cooling system fittings 6-7 years or older like to crumble in your fingers if you push or twist too hard ........ don't ask.

tommyv
07-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Good advice. I "practiced" on the clamp on the accessable side of the old part and couldn't get it to budge with pliers. I guess i need to get some bolt cutters and try and cut it off.

Hogie
07-15-2012, 05:36 PM
The piece you bought should look like number 10, with number 11 being a hose clamp. Your piece if a BMW or OEM should have a quick connect at the reservoir and a flexible end that attaches right at the radiator. The clamp you are showing is part of the new assembly. If you are just replacing the rigid plastic piece and using the per-exisitng rubber hose end then yes you need another clamp to put back on.

tommyv
07-15-2012, 06:07 PM
yes, hogie you're correct. I have the OEM part from a BMW dealer with a quick connect on the coolant resevoir side and I now have a hose clamp to attach the other side to the radiator. I couldn't get a decent photo of the connection that I need to remove (the connection on the radiator side) but the existing flexible tubing connected to the radiator is connected with a permanent crimp style hose clamp, identical to the one shown in the picture and I can't get it to budge.

I thought about leaving the existing rubber hose and only replacing the plastic tube but I would still have the same problem of having to remove the crimp clamps which hold it in place. I've found a few posts where other people have replaced this tube but there aren't any details as to how they did it. they did say it was easy though, so I'm obviously doing something wrong!

pcy
07-16-2012, 06:14 AM
insert a thin flat-blade screwdriver in to the slot of the crimped hose clamp, and turn the screw driver. It will turn enough to loosen the crimp hose clamp.

mfumbesi
07-17-2012, 06:13 AM
The piece you bought should look like number 10, with number 11 being a hose clamp. Your piece if a BMW or OEM should have a quick connect at the reservoir and a flexible end that attaches right at the radiator. The clamp you are showing is part of the new assembly. If you are just replacing the rigid plastic piece and using the per-exisitng rubber hose end then yes you need another clamp to put back on.
When it went on my car, I replaced it with an 8mm (too lazy to do imperial conversions) copper tubing. No problems since.

tommyv
07-17-2012, 07:35 AM
insert a thin flat-blade screwdriver in to the slot of the crimped hose clamp, and turn the screw driver. It will turn enough to loosen the crimp hose clamp.

Well dont i feel stupid. Sounds pretty basic! I'm Travelling this week but I'll give it a shot when i return.

tommyv
07-17-2012, 07:37 AM
When it went on my car, I replaced it with an 8mm (too lazy to do imperial conversions) copper tubing. No problems since.

Funny that it will probably last forever and cost much less to fix. Were u able to easily remove the existing plastic tubing from the hoses? It seems so brittle and it appears to be glued in place.

tommyv
07-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Just following up for future searchers - I tried a small screw driver and the only one small enough to fit bent when I tried to work the clamp loose. So I ended up using a pair of pliers and just loosened it as much as I could and shimmied it off by pulling straight back so as to avoid damaging the aluminum connector on the radiator. The job entailed the following:

1. Removed the center panel (which holds the trunk lid release cables and latches) as per bentley manual page 170-12. This requires a T-30 size torx
2. Pulled the rubber vent hose off of the radiator connection as described above.
3. Removed the vent pipe from the coolant resevoir side by pulling locking pin up and sliding the connector straight back away from the coolant resevoir.
4. connected the new vent hose by doing the reverse of steps 2 and 3. The hose includes a new hose clamp for the radiator side. The part cost me $35 from Devon Hill BMW.
5. filled and bled the cooling system as per Bentley manual page 170-9.

borderchris
07-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Nice stickin' with it, Tommy- Thanks for posting your observations. :thumbup:

tommyv
07-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks Borderchris. Like all jobs I've tackled on this car, I was only able to do it with the help of you fellow festers. btw, I have garage envy from looking at your photo!