PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase this used E61

nDrew
07-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Hello all!
i'm looking to purchase this E61 sometime soon. Hopefully sometime this week. Any advice or tips I should look out for when inspecting the car?

Also please share your thoughts or concerns.

The carfax looks clean and has never had any major repairs. I've seen other E61, which had a pretty extensive carfax report that shows all sorts of mechanical and electrical wiring repairs.

I'm thinking it's best to purchase a used car that has never had any major repairs. This tells me that the car was built right from the factory.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=u&address=90620&resultCar=312485594&dealership_view_name=aluxauto&car_id=312485594&dealer_id=57843490

toga94m
07-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Check above the battery, at the first aid kit compartment in passenger side of the trunk, to see if there's a bathtub ring in the tray... evidence of water from the sunroof. Also interesting that you've got real keys, my '06 has the magic fob with pushbutton start on the dash.

scriss
07-17-2012, 02:35 PM
My '06 also has the real keys, not the "manic fob". They changed over to the start/stop button half way through the model year.

Another way you can tell an early '06 is if it has the premium package but the kidneys have black slats. They didn't switch to chrome slats until later in '06. I had to buy chrome slats from someone on here who had changed theirs two a full blackout.

nDrew
07-17-2012, 11:53 PM
I had called a dealer who inspected the car. They faxed over the inspection report and it looks good. It states that the car was manufactured in June of 05 and delivered to the dealership in Dec of 05.

tmcd535ixt
07-18-2012, 06:18 AM
I love that color combo and the tinted rear windows are slick. Regarding the potential sunroof leak. Have the dealer pull out the spare tire and look below for any evidence of water or corrosion. Also see if you can have them perform the sunroof drain clearing service for you, they use compressed air to clear the lines. It's the one PITA thing about this car, you don't want your electronics to fry in your beautiful new car. Another thing to consider is that it is probably getting close for a full break job if it hasn't had it yet which is pricey. Do you have its regular service records? Although BMW says 15k between oil changes and 100k on trans fluid, I (and many others on this forum agree) believe that 7k / 50k is more prudent.

scriss
07-18-2012, 12:07 PM
I had called a dealer who inspected the car. They faxed over the inspection report and it looks good. It states that the car was manufactured in June of 05 and delivered to the dealership in Dec of 05.

Also, if you ask the dealer really nicely, and they are in a charitable mood that day, they might show you the service history while it was under warranty.

nDrew
07-20-2012, 12:11 AM
I have called my local BMW dealer and spoke to one of the service advisor. He gave me the scoop on the car. If i recall correctly he said either the water pump or the thermostat when out when it was around 30k miles Also some something that related with air in the cars suspension. The advisor was sorta puzzled as to why there was such a repair when the car isn't equipped with adjustable air suspension.
Those two would be the two major things that has been repaired on the car.
I haven't had a chance to look at the car in person. Trying to make some time tomorrow if not this coming Tuesday.

nDrew
07-20-2012, 12:14 AM
I love that color combo and the tinted rear windows are slick. Regarding the potential sunroof leak. Have the dealer pull out the spare tire and look below for any evidence of water or corrosion. Also see if you can have them perform the sunroof drain clearing service for you, they use compressed air to clear the lines. It's the one PITA thing about this car, you don't want your electronics to fry in your beautiful new car. Another thing to consider is that it is probably getting close for a full break job if it hasn't had it yet which is pricey. Do you have its regular service records? Although BMW says 15k between oil changes and 100k on trans fluid, I (and many others on this forum agree) believe that 7k / 50k is more prudent.

I'll definitely check for that sunroof leak.
re: the break job. the pads have 60% left in them according to the inspection report.

Oceans10
07-20-2012, 07:15 AM
I have called my local BMW dealer and spoke to one of the service advisor. He gave me the scoop on the car. If i recall correctly he said either the water pump or the thermostat when out when it was around 30k miles Also some something that related with air in the cars suspension. The advisor was sorta puzzled as to why there was such a repair when the car isn't equipped with adjustable air suspension.
Those two would be the two major things that has been repaired on the car.
I haven't had a chance to look at the car in person. Trying to make some time tomorrow if not this coming Tuesday.

The wagon has a self leveling rear suspension. This is to adjust for heavy loads so the car stays level. Similar to self leveling headlights. This must be what the repair addressed.
We have a 2008 535XI wagon, my wife primarily drives it. Best wagon on the market by far. It is chipped and produces 360 hp and 385 lbs torque. 15 mm spacers in rear. Effortless cruiser/hauler, phenomenal traction in bad weather, even with all season tires.
I have a Thule skibox for the roof but have yet to use it. Also did 35% tint and upgraded the speakers for vastly improved L7 sound. :thumbup:

nDrew
08-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks for all your input everyone! Looks like I wont be owning an E61 after all. I purchased an 2010 E60 yesterday! Over all i'm really happy with the purchase. The car is CPO, it had some ripples on the passenger side door and dealer is fixing this and I should have the car by end of this week.