PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating negative camber on 04 530i

jeff grewell
07-16-2012, 09:15 AM
DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO REMOVE NEGATIVE CAMBER ON A 04 530I ?????
It seems this is a major concern for many individuals that use their bmw for an every day driver.(not track use) From the research that i have done it sounds like there might be a couple of kits to help with this problem. I Have heard of, 1)-custom made excentric screws, 2)-weld in adjustment taps.
If any body has done this, or has any ideas on how to get the negative camber out I would love to hear about it!!!!!!!!!.
The last alignment was done by a bmw dealer and believe they set it at -2.0.

thank-you in advance for reply or help in this matter.

Gold323Ci
07-16-2012, 12:37 PM
I think you will spend more in money trying to correct this than you will lose in tire wear. Tire wear is the only reason I can think to try and make this alteration.

I had my car aligned so that the negative camber is reduced as much as the car wll allow with it's stock suspension.

borderchris
07-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Gold- You're spot-on- There's nothing wrong with going to max-camber on your settings. But... OP?

:confused: It has nothing to do with track use.

Most e60s are spec'd from -2.3 to -1.7 (sport, 18") in the rear, but that's part of the design set-up; negative camber is inherantly part of the BMW design.

You can ask a good alignment shop to put your rears on the less negative side of things for tire wear (around -1.7), but you're driving the wrong car if your asking to remove negative camber completely. Going to less than spec will throw off everything in the rear, including designed-in suspension rebound, angles and total-toe.

BickUW89
07-16-2012, 02:28 PM
you're driving the wrong car if your asking to remove negative camber completely. Going to less than spec will throw off everything in the rear, including designed-in suspension rebound, angles and total-toe.

Borderchris is 100% right. WTF are you thinking, Jeff? You can't be serious. :dunno:

If you seriously want to eliminate negative camber, trade your E60 for a Honday Accord. It's a BM-freaking-W! It's a performance sedan - with many design features engineered into it to make it the Ultimate Driving Machine. Negative camber is an essential part of the overall performance design of the car, particularly one that is a bit on the heavy side.

If you're going to try to take out the negative camber, while you're at it you might as well put 15" rims with skinny tires on it, too. And maybe lose the stability control system (who needs the extra weight?), and some of the frame stiffeners in the engine compartment, too. Just unnecessary extra parts and metal.

Silliness. :rofl:

jeff grewell
07-17-2012, 01:09 PM
I want to thank all you guys for your replies. But I don't recall stating the fact that I wanted to remove all of the negative camber!!!!!!!. If you go down to your local bmw dealer and take a look at the rear-end of the 2012's you will notice much less negative camber, bmw must of re-evaluated the need to have -2.3 to -1.75.

BickUW89
07-17-2012, 04:04 PM
I want to thank all you guys for your replies. But I don't recall stating the fact that I wanted to remove all of the negative camber!!!!!!!.

Uh, not trying to pounce, but you're the one that said you wanted to "eliminate" the camber. Look at the thread title: "Eliminating negative camber on 04 530i" :dunno:

"Eliminate" is a word with a pretty clear meaning. Perhaps you really meant "reduce," or "minimize?"

If you go down to your local bmw dealer and take a look at the rear-end of the 2012's you will notice much less negative camber, bmw must of re-evaluated the need to have -2.3 to -1.75.

I need only look in my garage to see how much less camber the F10 has compared to the E60. The reason is obvious - the F10 has a wider footprint than the E60, which obviates the need for the same amount of camber.

Two ways to solve the same problem. Just simple physics. If you take out all the camber on an E60, you'll lose cornering ability and overall stability. Not recommended.

mfrasca
07-17-2012, 05:27 PM
I set mine at -1.5 and it's perfect. No tire wear and handles beautiful. Of course I'm running Bilstein coil overs.

bimmerfan52
07-17-2012, 10:49 PM
I need only look in my garage to see how much less camber the F10 has compared to the E60. The reason is obvious - the F10 has a wider footprint than the E60, which obviates the need for the same amount of camber.

Two ways to solve the same problem. Just simple physics.

The difference between the static camber of the F10 and the E60 has nothing to do a "wider footprint" (assume you mean wider wheel base).

BMW535xia
07-18-2012, 04:34 AM
the "no-brainer" here is the fact that with stock suspension, negative camber cannot be eliminated as there is limited adjustment to "correct". rotate your tires more often than you change oil...