PDA

View Full Version : Cupped tires :(

jsimon7777
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
The outside edges of my front tires are cupping. The inside edges and rears are all totally fine. The right front is cupping far more than the left front. Tires are Michelin Super Sports. Pressure is at the factory specs, 30 front and 35 rear. The tires were totally find before rolling over a tree trunk/branch not long ago that caused a few thousand in damage. The repair place and dealer checked the underside, finding nothing wrong with the suspension. The tires were all rebalanced and alignment was redone. Here I am, about three thousand miles later, with the issue. I did go under the car after the repair and noticed one bent suspension component in the back left. Not sure if I posted here or at 5series forum, but everybody poopooed it, saying it wasn't a big deal. I doubt it would affect the front, but now I'm thinking a lot more went wrong with the suspension than just that.

Any thoughts?

phlfly
07-16-2012, 02:15 PM
I think with those BMW's you never know about alignment. I had E46 25 and rear tires were wearing inside even after alignments, then E46 M3 was absolutely no problem with uneven tires wear. With E60 550, I had almost perfect rears, but fronts is wearing inside more then outside, even dealer did three times an alignment.

l1tech
07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Define cupping, most peoples definition of it is actually different than what it actually is.

jsimon7777
07-17-2012, 07:56 AM
They look like a saw tooth, sort of. Maybe they're scalloped?

Here's a drawing from the side. The front of the tire is to the right. The photos were hard to read. There's actually a bit of vertical rubber on each tip, a loose flap of it. :(

And as I said, the wheels and tires were inspected, balanced, and aligned about 3000 miles ago, after the accident. Before then, no problems at all, and no unusual wear. I inspected.

l1tech
07-17-2012, 06:06 PM
There is only a few things that cause wear like that...... tire balance and worn suspension components

jsimon7777
07-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Could the crash have damaged the front suspension or pushed it over the edge? I'm wondering if this is CPO warranty or an insurance claim.

jsimon7777
07-17-2012, 06:41 PM
And it's totally ruined my tires. I'm hoping it's an insurance claim because these tires are damned expensive. The tires were balanced recently, right before the wear, so I doubt its the tires.

lonewolf525
07-18-2012, 10:35 AM
i would talk to a tire professional and ask him what is causing that. i know that balancing is not the problem. i have talked to a lot of tire dealers and tire manufactures about that specific issue and it is not tire related. The two best solutions for that type of problem is shocks or strut replacement and your alingment. It could be that the shocks are not moving up and down like they should and cause the tires to wear out uneven. ABs also can affect the tires because the abs will pulse the brakes thus in the long run producing waves on the thread of the tire. Possibly some play on the suspension components could make it lean to one side and cause that uneven tire. Here is a link that explains the different types of how to read a tires wear.

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

One other thing to consider is that many times because we take our cars back to dealer for repair that they are going to fix car and return it like it came out from factory. Some times dealerships have new techs and they are not as experienced and can find nothing wrong with vehicle. If you went for alignment at dealer and they found nothing wrong but you still get uneven wear on your tires then take it to another alignment shop and see if they find some thing wrong.

Good luck.