PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered H&R Springs

fred7821
07-17-2012, 08:32 PM
I just ordered me a set of H&R sport springs today,

I have a 2008 550i with the sport package, so hopefully these springs give me the look i am looking for.

Does anyone have any experience with these springs on there car..?

Thanks

Oceans10
07-18-2012, 06:34 AM
One of my favorite mods. The ride is more stable and controlled without sacrificing ride comfort. Lane change maneuvers are crisp and the car feels unflappable. Also much more connected to steering, you feel a big difference at high speed. No floatiness.
Lowers the car 3/4 inch, so it is noticable but not too aggressive. Still a small gap showing between fender and tire. It's lower but not ricer slammed.

I also changed shocks and picked the Koni FSDs. Very pleased with them. If you retain stock shocks they will wear out faster due to the shorter H&R springs. Just be aware.

Kalil147
07-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Can you post some pictures of your E60? I am thinking about doing the same mod to my 545I but don't want to drop it by too much.

Oceans10
07-18-2012, 08:15 AM
I already posted about it and uploaded pics.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618964&highlight=

borderchris
07-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Fred, you'll love those springs- I have Eibachs, but either are great. Listen to Oceans; you really need to get lowering-specific shocks (Bilstein Sports, Koni FSDs or KYB Yellows come to mind). Many a dissapointed e60 owner has put on H&Rs or Eibachs and had to take them off 6 months later when their stock struts and shocks failed. Even before failure, you'll bottom out on big speedbumps with the stock dampers.

Here's my beasty on Eibachs with Bilstein Sports, new strut mounts (cheap, and worth looking at!) all around:

Oceans10
07-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Yeah, I changed the upper strut mounts too. Figured at 75k miles it was well worth the peace of mind. They were $100 at Turner Motorsports.
My car rides more like a 3 series with this suspension, much more tied down to the road without being jarring or causing kidney failure. Cruising on the highway it feels pretty stock except changing lanes is creamy smooth, at any speed!
A friend of mine has an M5 and he feels my car is comparable to his in the softest setting, as a point of reference. His suspension is electronic, you set the firmness by pushing a button, Comfort, Sport etc.
I concur with the recommendation not to go cheap and just replace the whole shebang in one go. It runs about $1,000 in parts, but it's one of the best investments I have put into this car. Everything feels improved, steering, braking, cornering, passing.
I heard Eibachs are a little softer than H&Rs which is why I picked the latter. Can't go wrong with either. Same on the Bilsteins vs Konis.