PDA

View Full Version : Backup Antenna

Mike Swing
07-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Searched the forums but no answer. Can you add a backup antenna to a e60 that doesn't have it?

NoQuarter
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Searched the forums but no answer. Can you add a backup antenna to a e60 that doesn't have it?

Hi Mike, what is a backup antenna? Are you looking for Parking Distance Control to tell you how close you are to something when reversing?

Mike Swing
07-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Sorry, I meant park distance control. Can it be installed?

NoQuarter
07-21-2012, 08:45 PM
It can if you are up to that sort of DIY. Nearly everything that was available can be retrofited but in this case it is not just buy parts and plug it in. Will also require some programming so it is can be recognized.

2chill
07-21-2012, 10:12 PM
That's one hell of a retrofit. Running wires, changing the bumper, installing the switch on the lower dash, programming, harnesses, etc, etc, etc. Would be better off, cheaper and much simpler to just install a back up camera.

NoQuarter
07-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Don't need a new bumper. Just drill the correct size holes. Switch is super easy.

Just would not recommend it as a first timer.

heffdiddy
07-23-2012, 09:40 AM
i also think the backup camera would be easier and cheaper.

NoQuarter
07-23-2012, 10:04 AM
The camera may be easier and it may be cheaper but it is not equivalent to PDC. I wouldn't mind having the camera added to mine but I wouldn't trade a camera for PDC.

Just for fun I did some digging to see how it shakes out:

PDC retrofit kit : $167 This is a rear only, license plate type add-on from BMW

This would be for a retrofit of the original components:
PDC control unit: $292 new from dealer
cable set: $77 * 2 = $154 if you did front and rear
sensors: $207 set of 4 = $414 if you did front and rear

Total ~ $576 rear only or $860 front and rear with new parts

Rear camera only kit:
modmynav: ~$500 for interface and camera

2chill
07-23-2012, 10:24 AM
I can't see how you can compare a back up camera to PDC. I'll take the camera over PDC anytime. Nothing beats having an actual view of what's behind you. For the PDC retrofit, you also left off the switch, wiring for the switch, installation, and computer programming. This would all come out somewhat higher than the prices you quoted.

NoQuarter
07-23-2012, 02:05 PM
I can't see how you can compare a back up camera to PDC. I'll take the camera over PDC anytime. Nothing beats having an actual view of what's behind you. For the PDC retrofit, you also left off the switch, wiring for the switch, installation, and computer programming. This would all come out somewhat higher than the prices you quoted.

True - I did forget the switch. But there is no "wireing" required. Doesn't work that way.

I hope we arn't getting into a silly e-argument! The thing with the camera is you have to be looking at it while going in reverse. sometimes looking behine you and hearing the PDC sensors is helpful.

///Mariani
07-23-2012, 06:25 PM
I have to agree, having PDC is much more useful, essential and helpful, for me anyway. Especailly when trying to park in my garage. For some reason, the builder of my house decided to leave a tree in the way of my driveway, so instead of it being a two lane driveway, it bottlenecks at the beginning, then widens. Point is, I cant just simply back straight out, or drive staight in. I not only have to watch out for this tree, but several cars aswell, along with normal garage stuff(tools, lawn equip. ect.) and the side walls that frame the garage door(which the parking sensors pick up, even when that obstacle is to the side of my car. Even a camera with wide angle lense would have a blind spot that might not see it before it comes.) So instead of looking at several screens, I look at one big situation around the car along with audible warnings. In my opinion, no cam sys can replace or give as much info in such a simple manner than that. Just listen, and feel the car. But of course, if you dont have such an extreme situation as my garage, then a camera sys would be the best option as far as best price for what you need it for.

2chill
07-23-2012, 11:21 PM
True - I did forget the switch. But there is no "wireing" required. Doesn't work that way.

I hope we arn't getting into a silly e-argument! The thing with the camera is you have to be looking at it while going in reverse. sometimes looking behine you and hearing the PDC sensors is helpful.
Nah, no e-argument here...just a friendly debate. I've never owned a vehicle with PDC and have never experienced how well it works. I understand the faster the tones, the closer you are to the object, but one still looks at the screen, similar to looking at a back up camera IMO. As for detecting objects on the side of the car, isn't that the reason for the side view mirrors?
My last car, a Nissan Altima 3.5SE had a back up camera and I absolutely loved it. It also had comfort access, xenon headlights, a Bose sound system and not a single problem. Makes me wonder sometimes why I gave it up for a more expensive car with LESS features and reliability.

1naztyx5
07-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Nah, no e-argument here...just a friendly debate. I've never owned a vehicle with PDC and have never experienced how well it works. I understand the faster the tones, the closer you are to the object, but one still looks at the screen, similar to looking at a back up camera IMO. As for detecting objects on the side of the car, isn't that the reason for the side view mirrors?
My last car, a Nissan Altima 3.5SE had a back up camera and I absolutely loved it. It also had comfort access, xenon headlights, a Bose sound system and not a single problem. Makes me wonder sometimes why I gave it up for a more expensive car with LESS features and reliability.

lol you sound just like my wife, she had same car before also and every time she see's one she tells me" I miss my Altima and would love to have it back" and on the topic at hand I have to agree with the others about the PDC And only because BMW back up cameras suck! at least on my E70. is very disappointing for cars of this caliber, the back up camera on my old Infiniti QX was crystal clear day and night.