PDA

View Full Version : e60 Brakes...can I do them anywhere?

Gooseling
07-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi guys,

Im living in the Miami area with my '05 545i. I just moved here so I don't know much about the service shops here. When I took my car in to get fixed last (there was a seal problem with the coolant system so coolant was leaking) the shop told me that I had less than 3% left (about 1000 miles) on my brakes, and quoted me something stupid like $750 for the front set and $850 for the rear set...obviously i didnt want to pay something that ridiculous for brakes, so I told him i'd take care of it some other time...

which leads to my question...can I get my e60 brakes serviced anywhere? Ive seen some shops here that say they specialize in replacement brakes etc, but would it be fine to do the brakes at those shops? 1600 bucks for 2 sets of brakes doesnt sound anywhere near realistic to me. I'm trying to get OEM brakes for the car, not neccessarily the ones that the shop were trying to get for me, or the ones from the dealer (cuz i know those are overpriced). If so do you think id be able to buy the parts and bring them to a shop to get the brakes done?

Much thanks!

txag_530i
07-18-2012, 12:02 PM
The rate quoted to you is not out of line with some other members' reported estimates.

Technically speaking there is nothing special about BMW brakes. They are made by ATE, the same company that makes braking systems for just about all of the major manufacturers. There are no special tools involved with replacing the components.

If you do a google search I am certain that you will find several good auto repair shops in the Miami area. You can always try and save some money by purchasing the parts and having them installed by a reputable repair shop.

Gooseling
07-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply. Are the prices included with new rotors as well as pads? It seems like a little much for just pads by themselves...

Thanks again!

lonewolf525
07-18-2012, 12:22 PM
If you know how to replace brake pads then this car is no different than many others cars. if you want to save a little money order brake pads and caliper sensors online and have your rotor resurfaced and you should be good to go.

If you do not feel safe buying online then go to bmw store and buy items there and do the work at home.

This type of job is pretty easy.

bimmerfan52
07-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Hi guys,

Im living in the Miami area with my '05 545i. I just moved here so I don't know much about the service shops here. When I took my car in to get fixed last (there was a seal problem with the coolant system so coolant was leaking) the shop told me that I had less than 3% left (about 1000 miles) on my brakes, and quoted me something stupid like $750 for the front set and $850 for the rear set...obviously i didnt want to pay something that ridiculous for brakes, so I told him i'd take care of it some other time...

which leads to my question...can I get my e60 brakes serviced anywhere? Ive seen some shops here that say they specialize in replacement brakes etc, but would it be fine to do the brakes at those shops? 1600 bucks for 2 sets of brakes doesnt sound anywhere near realistic to me. I'm trying to get OEM brakes for the car, not neccessarily the ones that the shop were trying to get for me, or the ones from the dealer (cuz i know those are overpriced). If so do you think id be able to buy the parts and bring them to a shop to get the brakes done?

Much thanks!

The short answer: Yes, anyone that is experienced doing brakes, or does the research and is careful can do the brakes on a BMW (many on this site do their own, including me).

You may want to take advantage of Yelp or Angie's list if you don't have trusted (and knowledgeable) friends or relatives who can give you names of fair mechanics. Also take advantage of this site and ask fellow bimmer owners in your area for recommendations of independent mechanics who specialize in BMWs.

BMW Indies are many times only a few bucks more and have specialized knowledge and tools to do it quickly. You may want to ask them up front for a quote with rotors replaced and without rotors replaced.

A big factor in the cost will be whether the rotors are replaced. BMW recommends new rotors for every pad change, although many dealers don't always replace them. A rotor has two minimum measurements. The minimum dimension that the rotor can be resurfaced down to before it must be replaced, and the minimum dimension that a rotor is at before it must be replaced immediately. The minimum resurface thickness generally allows for estimated wear until the pads are again replaced.

Dealers will tend to say the rotors must be replaced, and some Indies will say the same thing.

When getting estimates tell them up front that you will want the rotor thickness measurements (for stock rotors for 545i Bentley says 28.4mm for front rotors and 22.4 for rear rotors). By asking this you let them know that they can't snow you and automatically convince you that the rotors must be replaced.

$1600 is high. Materials (with rotors) would be estimated at $650 for good quality aftermarket OE equivalent parts (Textar pads, Zimmerman rotors).

Ramsey Barnette
07-18-2012, 02:12 PM
The best pads are the OEM pads for most people. Great feel, consistent stopping and unless you're very aggressive, they should last around 35-45K. If you want to save some cash and want OEM parts, get the Textar/Jurid pads on Amazon along with the BMW OEM rotors and a good INDY shop will install for you. You might ask if they can price-match Amazon.com and just get the parts from them. Sometimes I***8217;ve shopped and the Indy is only a few bucks higher, I just give them the business if that is the case.

BMW OEM Textar @ Amazon:
Rear: http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Textar-Brake-Series--Sedan/dp/B002N8PT9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332296716&sr=8-3
Front: http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Front-Brake-Pads/dp/B004LPVZBS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2

If you want to go SUPER CHEAP you can just get the parts @ Tirerack, Akebono pads and generic rotors are fine for most people.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=BMW&autoModel=550i+Sedan+Sport+Package&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=

For most people, unless you***8217;re really picky, the cheap tirerack.com option would work fine. I would caution against being penny-wise and pound foolish regarding your rotors. It***8217;s best to get them replaced when you***8217;re getting pads done. That way you don***8217;t run the chance of a separate labor charge when the rotors are warped halfway through the life of the pads.

txag_530i
07-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply. Are the prices included with new rotors as well as pads? It seems like a little much for just pads by themselves...

Thanks again!

If you were quoted $750 to do the front pads only then the quote is WAY out of line!

borderchris
07-18-2012, 09:56 PM
If you were quoted $750 to do the front pads only then the quote is WAY out of line!

+1

The dealer's rate is about 7 bones for one set, including new rotors.

Gooseling
07-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the responses. I think I am going to change both the pads and rotors, since my car just went over 100k and I only got it at 75k and i'm not sure whether or not rotors have been changed before...better to be safe than sorry I guess, especially with brakes. I managed to find a highly touted repair shop on south beach which does 24 hour drop off/pickup (fits in better with my work schedule) so I am planning on giving them a call tomorrow and getting a quote from them.
So the price of the parts +labor should be about 800 dollars?

karlallen90
07-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Someone said resurface rotors, IMO don't do it. I've done it twice and both times the resurfaced rotors only lasted a few months before I started getting really bad steering wheel vibes. Just do it yourself, its fairly simply. Also allows you to save some money.

dolfan13
07-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Same as any,with sensor.

Kalil147
09-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Hi
I am also new in Miami and I also have an 05 545i. I know the service business in miami is not so great! Well, it is horrible. Did you finally replace your brake pads? If so how much did it run you?