PDA

View Full Version : E60 Brake Fade

Papa Lar
07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
I searched for a thread that addressed this issue but I couldn't find any. So I am hoping to get a little advise. I have had my '05 545i for less than a year. Recently the brakes started to act a little odd. Braking from normal speed to a stop works as expected. But as soon as I come to a complete stop the pressure needed to hold the car increases by about 3X. The pedal doesn't change position, ie it does not slowly go to the floor. It just takes a lot of pressure to hold the car motionless. If I am not careful I would start moving again. Any thoughts as to why this is happening? There are no warning lights pertaining to the brakes. I do have a light on that has to do with the steering position sensor. I am planning on cleaning it soon but have not got around to it. But I don't think that is the problem.

Campfamily
07-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Bad brake booster?

Papa Lar
07-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Any way to check that out without going to the dealer?

bimmerfan52
07-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Stop by an auto store and have them read your computer to see if it is throwing a code.

Have you had brake service recently? You may have air in your brake lines.

Test the brakes in a large parking lot with nothing around. Come to a stop and see if it wants to creep forward. If it does, pump the brakes twice and see if it now holds. If so, it could be the brake booster pump.

Also check your records to see if you had service on the recall below.

Papa Lar
07-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the info. The recall was done about 10,000 miles ago just before I purchased it. And pumping the pedal does nothing.