PDA

View Full Version : Best tire option?

Jred
07-19-2012, 08:19 AM
New to these fourms and to BMW, have a 550i that will need new tires soon and wanted to ask you all what you think would be the best choice? My sister company can buy tires for cost, so brand and price shouldn't be a problem. However, I would trust your opinions more than theirs, so what do you think?

Thanks,
Jason

Oceans10
07-19-2012, 09:00 AM
If money is no object it's easy. Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Non RFTs.

Look up your car on Tire Rack and do some research to see other options like Continental and Yokohama if you want to save a few bucks.
Otherwise just get the PSSs and thank me later! :-) Perfect for that car.

heffdiddy
07-19-2012, 01:13 PM
if you drive aggressive you are going to see a lot of wear on the michelins oceans mentioned. they are really soft and only rated for 36k miles i think, which means if you get 25k out of them you would be lucky. they are definitely the best tires but keep the wear in mind. since you can get them cheaply i would probably get them anyway.

Ramsey Barnette
07-19-2012, 04:13 PM
I second the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They blow away everything. Another excellent tire if inclement weather is an issue is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS and the Bridgestone 960AS. All are very good tires, it just depends on what you want it to do!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1101_testing_the_michelin_pilot_super_sport/viewall.html

Campfamily
07-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Times 3 on the Michelin PSS. I put those on my 550 about 5,000 miles ago, and love them! They are only slightly more expensive than the OEM Contis. Yes there are cheaper tires out there, but in our size, I don't think there is much. I'm thinking I'll get more miles out of these than the Contis, based on the tread wear rating.

Keith

Munich77
07-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Easy - PSS is you want high performance summer tires or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus if you want all season.

racooper3
07-19-2012, 07:11 PM
I have 20in Lexani wheels on my '05 545. I have nitto 555s on them now. I plan on a set of Nitto Motivo's next. Nitto isn't a bad tire and some folks have said the sidewalls are a bit stiffer than the Conti DWS. I don't want a spongy ride in the turns. want it to go in the direction i turn the wheel too.

MachtSchnell
07-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Easy - PSS is you want high performance summer tires or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus if you want all season.

I live in ATLANTA and these are my tires of choice for year around. They handle well when you want to be aggressive, stick to the road in the rain, do well in the snow. Front tires have over 25k miles on them and 75% tread life left. I am on my second set of rear tires. I only got 17k miles out of the first set. Staggered fitment you only get half the warranty as there I no tire rotation. Michelin did give me 25% off the new rears and I bought them through Kauffman tire who price matched the lowest price I found.

TRS550
07-19-2012, 07:49 PM
I run PSS's on my 550 in the summer. Love em.

Jred
07-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Well it sounds like I should go with the PSS's, only worried about the life of them, I can drive upwards of 20K a year, so that would be a new set every 16-18 months, ouch! If anyone is interested I will be more than happy to post my cost once I get the quote, not sure if I will save a ton, but if it is a good savings, I might be able to help out those in Atlanta. Thanks for the great feedback! Love my car!

Oceans10
07-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Your front tires will hold up a lot better. Rears depend how hard you flog the car. The way I look at it, it's like treating your car to high octane premium gas. You pay a bit extra, but the car thanks you for it and performs much better. This is not an area to go cheap.
I have driven an M5 with these tires and the combination is just incredible. You lay into a corner and rip it, and the response is phenomenal. That's when you realize what a big difference tires make.

Campfamily
07-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Well it sounds like I should go with the PSS's, only worried about the life of them, I can drive upwards of 20K a year, so that would be a new set every 16-18 months, ouch! If anyone is interested I will be more than happy to post my cost once I get the quote, not sure if I will save a ton, but if it is a good savings, I might be able to help out those in Atlanta. Thanks for the great feedback! Love my car!

As a point of reference, I paid about $1450 out the door (4 tires, installed, balanced, valve stems, etc) when I bought mine. I have the same wheel and tire size as you do.

Keith

Db750
07-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Pilot Super Sports without question!