PDA

View Full Version : 535i smoke

skeenwang
07-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I have a 2010 535i that smokes a bit (35,000 miles). If I look at the exhaust at idle, it is there but very light. After driving leisurely for a bit and then taking the car to redline from a stop, I will see a big cloud of smoke.

I've read about some of this being normal; however, it doesn't sound intuitive to me. Any thoughts or suggestions? I will be bringing it back to the dealer in the next month or so for a service and will mention it to them as well.

Oceans10
07-19-2012, 02:47 PM
What color is the smoke?
I would not wait to have it checked out. See if the car is throwing any error codes, have someone check with an ODB scanning tool or go to BMW. Could be a leak or an issue with one of the turbos, lots of things. You don't want to wait to find out.
I have 2 535s and neither of them emit smoke.

2wheels>4
07-19-2012, 03:20 PM
My gut tells me turbos as well. As Oceans10 said, get that in ASAP! Small problem now could be an extremely large problem with a little more heat and ware.

skeenwang
07-19-2012, 04:23 PM
I will set something up with my dealer. I thought turbo as well as after the initial smoke release I can rev with no smoke.

skeenwang
07-19-2012, 04:24 PM
I did have an engine light about two months ago, but it promptly went off.

2wheels>4
07-19-2012, 06:07 PM
What's the ambient temp outside? I don't believe we've established what color the smoke is.

Oceans10
07-19-2012, 07:34 PM
I you see lots of white smoke, then have the car towed to BMW. Do not drive it.

MachtSchnell
07-19-2012, 07:36 PM
It could be injectors going bad. Was my issue. Does the smoke smell like fuel and have a bluish tint to it? Is ot white? Other things it could be could be O2 sensor.

SoLucky
07-19-2012, 07:38 PM
What color is the smoke?

x2. Color of smoke is the BIG question...

Blue-ish = oil (turbo seal or valve guides, with turbo much more likely at your mileage)

White-ish = coolant (could be head gasket)

Black-ish = too much fuel (injector stuck open; would expect code and CEL if this is the issue)

skeenwang
07-20-2012, 06:46 AM
When reving, the smoke appears black.

The car also starts a bit rough. After I start it once, subsequent starts are very smooth. I brought this to BMW's attention; however, they didn't seem to think there was an issue.

SoLucky
07-21-2012, 05:07 AM
When reving, the smoke appears black.

The car also starts a bit rough. After I start it once, subsequent starts are very smooth. I brought this to BMW's attention; however, they didn't seem to think there was an issue.

Probably a leaky injector. After the car is shut off, there is still pressure in the fuel rail that feeds the injectors. The injector continues to leak until gas pools in that cylinder. On start that fuel doesn't fully burn resulting in the smoke. Also a cold start results in the O2 sensors being ignored for the first minute or so, until they reach operating temperature, so the computer doesn't notice the short term rich running condition and doesn't throw a code.

You need to have this fixed as long term damage will occur due to increased wear from the gas washing the oil film off the cylinder wall and dripping into the crankcase and causing oil dilution.

Good luck.