PDA

View Full Version : Still on the fence about extended warranty

Dishoom
07-20-2012, 06:14 AM
My car's at 47,500 miles, and the factory warranty will expire next week based on the original in-service date. I will be commuting for work a lot less soon and expect to put only about 20k miles on the car over the next 3 years. As result, I'm still on the fence about whether to buy an extended warranty or not. I've read too many negative posts about people's experience about purchasing a 3rd party warranty, so the only one I'm considering is the BMW Extended Vehicle Protection - Gold. The quote I received for a 3yr/100k miles is $3500. It's a lot of change to put up front, but I guess nothing compared to what a new transmission or coolant pipe repair would cost. I took my car to a BMW indy yesterday, who inspected my car and told me it's the "cleanest 550" he's ever seen -- no codes, no leaks, etc. I haven't had any major issues while under warranty, just several nit-pick items which have all been resolved. Only thing that worries me is the rough idling I get when the weather is cooler, and every now and then the transmission seems to get hesitant/jerky. I may just need to clean out my throttle body/MAF for the rough idling, and the transmission could be just a quirk of SAT.

So guys, what do you say -- buy the warranty or save my money?

tiger16
07-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Shoot a message to danieldutton@pacificbmw.com and tell him you are a member of bimmerfest. I think you will like his quote.

Dishoom
07-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Thanks, I had already contacted him...his quote is much lower than other dealerships.

luxcar
07-20-2012, 09:47 AM
My car's at 47,500 miles, and the factory warranty will expire next week based on the original in-service date. I will be commuting for work a lot less soon and expect to put only about 20k miles on the car over the next 3 years. As result, I'm still on the fence about whether to buy an extended warranty or not. I've read too many negative posts about people's experience about purchasing a 3rd party warranty, so the only one I'm considering is the BMW Extended Vehicle Protection - Gold. The quote I received for a 3yr/100k miles is $3500. It's a lot of change to put up front, but I guess nothing compared to what a new transmission or coolant pipe repair would cost. I took my car to a BMW indy yesterday, who inspected my car and told me it's the "cleanest 550" he's ever seen -- no codes, no leaks, etc. I haven't had any major issues while under warranty, just several nit-pick items which have all been resolved. Only thing that worries me is the rough idling I get when the weather is cooler, and every now and then the transmission seems to get hesitant/jerky. I may just need to clean out my throttle body/MAF for the rough idling, and the transmission could be just a quirk of SAT.

So guys, what do you say -- buy the warranty or save my money?

If you are planning to keep the car for another 3 years then definitely buy the warranty. Even single repair can cost you upward of 3K.

06530IDAN
07-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Sh#Ts happen! Buy it before it reaches 50,000 because the premium will be much higher. I bought my car with 5 miles and wished I had not listened to my friend. Even if you sell the car, new buyers will be more enticed looking at yours.

If you are planning to keep the car for another 3 years then definitely buy the warranty. Even single repair can cost you upward of 3K.

bimmerstien
07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Get warranty coverage. Preferably from BMW. Crap happens and it could be EXPENSIVE.

Don't procrastinate you're driving a BMW for crying out loud!

merlintiaga
07-24-2012, 05:15 AM
I would not buy an extended warranty when you're only going to put 20k miles for the next 3 years. I just don't see this paying off. I'd risk it. I put about 8k miles on my 545i a year. Didn't buy the extended, don't regret it either.

Dishoom
07-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Too late! I bit the bullet and bought the BMW EVP "Gold" warranty. Only time will tell if it will be worth the peace of mind over the next 3 years...

tiger16
07-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Who did you buy it from?

Master Pierre
08-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Ep, whats the difference between the sliver and gold warranty?

CleanE60
08-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Gold cover everything and it cost I think a 1k more.

The option doesn't cover the interior electrical components. You want gold if your going to do. I know ift sucks but its part of playing this game properly. iwatched some sad guy crying at the Dealer the other day. Its nice when **** happens and you just drop your **** off and its always free. or a minor copay