PDA

View Full Version : Oil temperature

burnie35
07-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Checked my running oil temperature today. Outside air temp 85 degrees farenheit. Oil temperature after driving 15 to 20 minutes in minor traffic got up to 220 degrees faenheit.
Used the Cobb monitoring system to check.

Does anyone know if that's about normal, or if it's too high? This car runs great, but sure feels hot when opening the hood after driving, and takes a long time to cool down in my garage.

bimmerfan52
07-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Checked my running oil temperature today. Outside air temp 85 degrees farenheit. Oil temperature after driving 15 to 20 minutes in minor traffic got up to 220 degrees faenheit.
Used the Cobb monitoring system to check.

Does anyone know if that's about normal, or if it's too high? This car runs great, but sure feels hot when opening the hood after driving, and takes a long time to cool down in my garage.

220F is not out of the norm. 210F to 230F can be normal depending upon the engine.
Have you measured it in the past? Any change?

Have you measured your water temperature? The coolant system controls the overall engine operating temperature, with the thermostat as the key, assuming the rest of the coolant system is healthy.

What grade oil are you running? A higher viscosity oil will run a little hotter due to higher shear forces.

Start measuring water and oil temps regularly to set up a base line for your car.

tchavera
07-21-2012, 01:36 AM
that's a normal temperature. it's just about peak of summer, expect things to get somewhat hotter. just don't run the a/c every change you can if you really care enough. while you're thinking about it just go get the oil changed.

phlfly
07-21-2012, 06:10 AM
Normal it's about 105 C so oil viscosity is design for normal operation at about 100 and race track about 150 C which is 300 F

burnie35
07-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

It's the first time I checked the oil temperature, and I did it because of the long cool-down time. Had the car about 3 1/2 years (first and only owner). It was on lease the first 3 years, and I decided to buy it ... so now I seem to care about it more. :D

I'll be checking the temps more often now. The car has been under BMW maintenance since the beginning, so whatever oil they're using is what it has.

I read with great interest the other thread ("Oil changes!!! 08 635xi") where bimmerfan52 and phifly discussed oil characteristics ... I'm due for an oil change in a couple of weeks, so I'll check to see what they're using.

Although I went with the 15,000 mile schedule while I was leasing the car, just before I purchased it I had an extra oil change ... so it was about 6,300 miles between changes at that point, and it will be about 7,000 miles till my next change. I think though, that I'll be changing every 5,000 miles from now on (hopefully to make up for the longer intervals in the beginning). Car has about 44,000 miles on it now.

As I said earlier, the car runs great (with or without the Cobb tune) and I hope to keep it till 100k at least.

Oceans10
07-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Use Mobil 1, 0W40

Oil temp is nomal for those conditions. A tad high but in the safe zone.

You would undoubtedly benefit from upgrading to a larger FMIC if you are so inclined. Helix or Cp-e. They run $600-800 and are easy to install. That will lower IATs and make the turbos perform better.

burnie35
07-22-2012, 04:30 PM
I've been considering an FMIC ... when I was at Turner Motorsport I saw one installed in a 3 series. It wasn't very large, but not available for the E60. My warranty runs out in a few months, so I'll look into it then ... it's funny that something that can help the engine would probably be considered verboten and end my warranty.

Oceans10
07-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Yes, truly imbecilic.
The better FMICs I mentioned have 50% more cooling capacity and will lower IATs by 20-30 degrees.
If I lived down south it would have been one of the first things on my list. Up north we only need it during the summer months.
Turbos love cold air. In the winter our cars turn extra frisky. Nature's FMIC.