PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a used 06 530i, and having some issues help wanted

bmwman12
07-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi guys I just bought a used 06 530i with 63k miles on it and I'm having some issues with it. I love the way the car drives however its my first BMW, I had a Ford explorer before. I also bought the extended third party warranty so I don't have to worry, plus the dealer I bought it from I have 60 days with him.

So my first problem was the car and steering wheel shaking at high speeds, shaking while turning at high speeds, and braking at high speeds. I could feel the vibration in the steering wheel and the gear knob

So the dealer changed all four rotors and all four brakes, but it didn't solve the issue it made the shaking at high speed even worse. Most of the shaking I feel is through the steering wheel when I am going 60 mph and when I turn the steering wheel a little left or right to follow the road.

I can feel the whole front end shaking while driving at highway speeds and feels like the wheels is wobbling.

I've been doing reading and after the rotors and brakes it seems like the next obvious solution is: the two trust arms and two control arms and balancing the tires

------------------

Second I noticed this car had poor throttle response from a red light, I push the pedal down and I get nothing for the first few degrees and then it shoots forward and its very hard to get a smooth start going.

One possible solution was having a BMW dealership update the software module as this was a software issue.

When the car is in DS mode the throttle issue goes away

----------------

Third when I had the car parked and I turn the steering wheel fully from left to right I hear like a metal grinding and twisting kind of sound coming from near the front right wheel like something is creaking and being fatigued like a boat in rough waters.

Don't really know if this is issue and the first one are connected

TRS550
07-20-2012, 07:44 PM
I am betting that having the front suspension bushings replaced (probably more cost effective to just replace the control arms themselves) will make you steering issues go away.

I only drive sticks but I know the tranny can be reprogrammed through some sort of procedure in which you hold down the gas pedal for some period of time. Do a search and you'll find that.

I'm guessing your "dealer" is not a BMW dealer or he would have made the correct diagnosis on this problem. Right?????

bmwman12
07-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah he is not a bmw dealer, I am hoping to get him to get his BMW mechanic that he uses at a shop he goes to, to replace the thrust arms and control arms entirely rather than just the bearings.

I did the reset and did notice a slight difference but i am curious to the upgrade i called a real bmw dealership and it was qouted at 202.00

bmwman12
07-20-2012, 08:02 PM
I am wondering if changing these parts is something I should learn to do because its a PITA to take it to the dealer and leave my car there.

Also should I change the fuel filter or is there a sensor that will tell me it needs to be replaced?

Gold323Ci
07-21-2012, 08:00 AM
As far as your shaking issue, you probably have a combination of the following problems:

1. Bent rims. These can be repaired or replaced
2. Unbalanced wheels
3. Bad bushings in the front suspension

None of these issues are all that expensive to fix. All of these 3 will cause shaking in the car and steering wheel at speed.

bmwman12
07-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I just had the dealer take my car to the BMW Indy shop and they have changed all four rotors and four brakes, they put four new rims and balanced my tires a few times. They said they checked the bushings and the tie rods and control arms and everything seems to be okay and not have any play but the car still shakes at high speeds.

They said they will take the car to the suspension expert and have them look at it and I'd have to leave it for a day and a half.

What could be wrong?

karlallen90
07-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Get the wheels rebalanced using road force balance. Difference is night and day. I did the regular balance and still had the same problem as before, did the other and it went really well.

skuzlm3
07-25-2012, 08:30 PM
is your car equipped with factory wheels and tires? bmw's are hub centric so the hub and wheel must match or balancing will never fix without proper wheel hub adapter shims. For surely due for bushings at your mileage also.

bmwman12
07-25-2012, 09:31 PM
I was planning to have my tires road force balanced but I want the dealer to pick up the tab since its still under a 60 day dealer warranty.

Hopefully that means they will change the control arms and anything else that I would have to replace.

But lets see what they say.

NY has a used car lemon law and its been two weeks and I'm getting frustrated that it hasn't been fixed by now and just wondering if I should just turn it in and get a refund which I am legally allowed to.

Otherwise the engine runs great and its perfect in every other way, maybe i should just have patience and have this worked out.

Is this a common BMW problem that I'll have to deal with any used BMW over 60k miles or a rather rare thing.

I had a ford explorer before this and it never gave me any trouble, I really don't have the patience to be babying the car all the time to make sure this sensor and that thing works, I just need it to work and be 100% all the time, not hit one pot hole and throw everything off, needing new rotors and alignment and control arms etc.

Are BMW's delicate that they can't handle normal use without constant upkeep.

BLaCk aBi
07-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Any noise , banging clunking at normal speed ehile going over bumps?

the_rider
07-26-2012, 07:31 PM
It happened to me once when I got my hub done at a non specialized BMW garage.

When they install your rotor, it need to be aligned perfectly before they screw it back on. I think you need to use the wheel nut to align the rotor but not sure. Anyways he didn't aligned the rotor properly and I had the same problem as you. When I came back, the senior mech who knew BMW told him to aligned the rotor and it was perfect after.

Hope it helps

bmwman12
07-26-2012, 08:09 PM
I had my tires road force balanced, one of the rims was bent and I was told they would fix it. After the road force the shimmy at 60 mph is gone but now when I brake the vibrating comes back into the steering wheel

skuzlm3
07-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Are your wheels factory or aftermarket? There may be nothing wrong with your car.

bmwman12
07-27-2012, 11:22 AM
They are continental brand not sure which model. Are those factory ones?

skuzlm3
07-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Those are the tires and continental do come on factory wheels but if your wheels are not factory they may not be centering correctly

Kalil147
07-28-2012, 06:43 AM
It has to be the bushings and alignment. If they dont fix it you should return it as soon as possible and get yourself another one.

aungmaw
07-29-2012, 04:40 AM
They are continental brand not sure which model. Are those factory ones?

Hi, I used to have same experience with my old 330i and it was a combination of tires and control arm. I replaced the control arm but that doesn't go away the shaking. Then I replaced the new set of tires and went well. Is your tire treads evenly distributed? In my case tires were pretty bad I believe as a result of bad control arm.