PDA

View Full Version : JB4 vs Dinan stage 2....who wins?

D.I.L.I.S Indy
07-20-2012, 09:54 PM
So the time has come for the first power adder to go in and the tough process of choosing has begun. I see a lot of great talk about the JB4 on the threads, but never any mention of the Dinan option. I saw one statement on the dinan site that i did not see on the burger motorsports site that actually makes me lean toward the pricier Dinan mod...."top speed governor removed" is worth the extra money if the same does not hold true for the JB 4. It doesnt seem likely that this would be the case, but i thought someone could shed some insight on the subject.

D.I.L.I.S Indy
07-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Secondly, as an after thought....if the top speed governor is removed does the JB4 have some means to display the actual speed, or will a new speedometer be needed?

TLO03
07-20-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm not sure about the new jb4 g5 but previous generations there was a separate add on you could buy for top speed de limiter.. If top speed is your thing get the dinan. Ecu records top speed and stores it so if anything ever went wrong BMW could find out..

But if you want more power,more torque more flexibility in tuning and the ability to re coup some cash when you sell the car (used jb4 go for $300+) get a jb4. Dinan is the worst option in my opinion. But if you coining airstrip runs it might be right for you.

Munich77
07-21-2012, 04:36 AM
What about a Cobb tuner?

Oceans10
07-22-2012, 02:10 PM
So the time has come for the first power adder to go in and the tough process of choosing has begun. I see a lot of great talk about the JB4 on the threads, but never any mention of the Dinan option. I saw one statement on the dinan site that i did not see on the burger motorsports site that actually makes me lean toward the pricier Dinan mod...."top speed governor removed" is worth the extra money if the same does not hold true for the JB 4. It doesnt seem likely that this would be the case, but i thought someone could shed some insight on the subject.

I did a run last year where my 535 hit close to 150. It was much faster than i would ever consider going, just testing the power at high speed. A buddy of mine is stationed in Germany and has a fully tricked out 535 (JB4, meth, downpipe, DCI, FMIC.) He has hit close to 190 mph on the Autobahn. I don't know what the story is on delimiters, but not something I am going to be concerned with. It's probably something that can be turned off with Autologic or similar diagnostic software. Many cars are delimited at 155 mph. I don't plan to ever go that fast so I won't find out what the story is on my car, sort of moot point.

Dinan chips are not particularly cheap. $2,200, and Dinan also asks you to buy their oil cooler as part of this. You do earn 2 points towards a badge though. How cool is that. :bigpimp:

The most common tuner chips used on N54 engines are JB4, Cobb and Proceed.
One of the benefits of JB4 is that it has built in support of other enhancements like methanol, nitrous, downpipes, larger turbos. So if you add other power mods you don't need to worry about the software, it will optimize itself and accommodate new features nicely. That was the main reason I selected JB4, plus the large user community and constant introduction of new features and enhancements for free. I am actually a guinea pig for the latest Alphaware right now. Means I record some runs to redline and send the files to Burger Motorsport for analysis.

Oceans10
07-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Secondly, as an after thought....if the top speed governor is removed does the JB4 have some means to display the actual speed, or will a new speedometer be needed?

JB4 will show tons of diagnostics via software on your laptop. It connects via USB cable and you can see things like oil temp, water temp, rpms, air fuel ratio, boost, speed, what gear you are in, internal ambient temperature, etc.

MachtSchnell
07-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Jb4 has a cable i believe removes the governor. I reached a high speed of 144 and that was my comfort zone. no need for the governor to be removed for me. And I love the JB4 with gauge highjacks and auto tune map.

bajanjack
07-23-2012, 06:25 PM
I did a run last year where my 535 hit close to 150. It was much faster than i would ever consider going, just testing the power at high speed. A buddy of mine is stationed in Germany and has a fully tricked out 535 (JB4, meth, downpipe, DCI, FMIC.) He has hit close to 190 mph on the Autobahn. I don't know what the story is on delimiters, but not something I am going to be concerned with. It's probably something that can be turned off with Autologic or similar diagnostic software. Many cars are delimited at 155 mph. I don't plan to ever go that fast so I won't find out what the story is on my car, sort of moot point.

Dinan chips are not particularly cheap. $2,200, and Dinan also asks you to buy their oil cooler as part of this. You do earn 2 points towards a badge though. How cool is that. :bigpimp:

The most common tuner chips used on N54 engines are JB4, Cobb and Proceed.
One of the benefits of JB4 is that it has built in support of other enhancements like methanol, nitrous, downpipes, larger turbos. So if you add other power mods you don't need to worry about the software, it will optimize itself and accommodate new features nicely. That was the main reason I selected JB4, plus the large user community and constant introduction of new features and enhancements for free. I am actually a guinea pig for the latest Alphaware right now. Means I record some runs to redline and send the files to Burger Motorsport for analysis.

I have the Dinan Stage 2- no oil cooler purchase was solicited or needed. Cost was approx $1800. I kept a 50k mile warranty on my car- not the case with the JB4.

Oceans10
07-23-2012, 07:42 PM
I think BMW stopped working with Dinan and they no longer honor it with warranty.

borderchris
07-23-2012, 07:50 PM
I think BMW stopped working with Dinan and they no longer honor it with warranty.

Correct, Oceans. BMW stopped the relationship officially in January, in efforts to push M-parts and BMW Performance stuff at the dealers, according to my local Parts Counter Rapist.

bajanjack
07-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Correct, Oceans. BMW stopped the relationship officially in January, in efforts to push M-parts and BMW Performance stuff at the dealers, according to my local Parts Counter Rapist.

My understanding is that it has always been Dinan that provided the warranty, not BMW. MY BMW dealer still provides the Dinan flash.http://www.dinancars.com/dealers/

booyaazaa
07-23-2012, 10:05 PM

That was funny. I had to do a double take on that last part.

MachtSchnell
07-24-2012, 10:38 AM
I have the Dinan Stage 2- no oil cooler purchase was solicited or needed. Cost was approx $1800. I kept a 50k mile warranty on my car- not the case with the JB4.

You can maintain your warranty with JB4, simply remove cables before dropping off car. I never have had an issue with warranty work and running JB4.

ModBargains
09-20-2012, 07:10 PM
I know you have mentioned the JB4 and the Dinan Tuner, but have you considered the Cobb AP? Its been enormously popular with our customer base as it provides amazing power, free updates, easy install/de-install. This is an amazing piece of software!

http://www.modbargains.com/zoom_img/_1298634764.jpg

Features & Advantages

Up horsepower by 30% (approximately 100 horsepower)
Increase torque by 38% (approximately 120 Ft./lbs)
ECU flash, not a piggy-back tune
Installs in minutes using easy to use AcessPORT interface
Installs via OBDII connector, no tools required
Grows and changes as your modifications do
Uninstalls in minutes to return your ECU to stock configuration
Conveniently log data values for up to 10 hours without a bulky laptop
Integrated performance tools to record 0-60 times, 1/4 ET & trap speed
Intuitive DTC code reading to help diagnose issues
Easily clear ECU codes
30 day satisfaction guarantee
Downloadable free performance maps as released

Oceans10
09-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't remove anything, just set JB4 to Map 0 so BMW can get access via ODB port if they need. Otherwise JB4 is hogging it and they are blocked.
My DCI and meth kit is clearly visible in the engine compartment, so I am sort of rubbing it in their faces. The dealership I use for recall work don't care, most of their mechanics run tuned BMWs anyway and they are more interested to see what I did to the car. Note that I am off warranty, so they really have no reason to try to bust me.