PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start

Cactus52
07-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Went out to go to the store this morning and the car would not start. Everything else seems to be working but no starter. I checked fuses 7-15 and they were both good so I am assuming its a starter problem. How can I check this?

Thanks
Cactus52

bimmerfan52
07-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Went out to go to the store this morning and the car would not start. Everything else seems to be working but no starter. I checked fuses 7-15 and they were both good so I am assuming its a starter problem. How can I check this?

Thanks
Cactus52

Hey fellow Valley of the Sun resident!

Try a different key first. Then a jump. Next maybe disconnect IBS at the negative battery terminal (three conductor connector with two wires) and try to start again.

After that you are going to need to read codes to see what is going on, as it could be one of many things (computer, starter, starter solenoid, fuel pump, loose cable, etc.).

Cactus52
07-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the response.

Tried all of the above, different ky, disconnected IBS and jumped it and no codes. I ripped off the bottom of the car and looked for the starter and could not find it. I wanted to check the voltages at the starter and then wanted to bypass to see if I could get it started.

Any idea where the starter is? I have been working on cars and airplanes all my life and I cannot locate the starter on this thing. UGH

Thanks

bimmerfan52
07-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the response.

Tried all of the above, different ky, disconnected IBS and jumped it and no codes. I ripped off the bottom of the car and looked for the starter and could not find it. I wanted to check the voltages at the starter and then wanted to bypass to see if I could get it started.

Any idea where the starter is? I have been working on cars and airplanes all my life and I cannot locate the starter on this thing. UGH

Thanks

You probably thought it would be just hanging there under the engine like ripe fruit. Not with a BMW. Many a day I long for my 1976 Chevy 305 small block because everything was out in the open and easily accessible. No where near the smoothness or power of the N62 V8, but much easier to work on.

On your N52 engine the starter is under the intake manifold. Not a terrible job, but not for the faint of heart either. First though, you need to make absolutely sure it is the starter motor or solenoid before you tear in there for nothing.

The CAS controls the signal to the solenoid, which is why I suggested a key change, as if you are having a key battery problem or just not syncing to the CAS you won't get to the starter solenoid.

I am not that familiar with the N52, but I believe there is a method of accessing the starter motor via other more easily accessible connections without removal of the intake manifold to apply voltage to the starter motor directly, bypassing the solenoid.

Let me dig around a little.

bimmerfan52
07-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the response.

Thanks

Forgot to ask you. Are you hearing the solenoid clicking as you attempt to start?

Cactus52
07-22-2012, 01:30 PM
no I am not hearing the solenoid, but I think I am hearing the fuel pump. As far as CAS goes, mine is a early 2006 so it still has the key not the fob. the dealer says its a 2005 but the VIN says an 06.
I have found the starter and put a volt meter on it and am getting 25 volts static. I am guessing that this is normal and am not looking forward to pulling the intake.

thanks for checking on this

bimmerfan52
07-22-2012, 02:03 PM
no I am not hearing the solenoid, but I think I am hearing the fuel pump. As far as CAS goes, mine is a early 2006 so it still has the key not the fob. the dealer says its a 2005 but the VIN says an 06.
I have found the starter and put a volt meter on it and am getting 25 volts static. I am guessing that this is normal and am not looking forward to pulling the intake.

thanks for checking on this

Good you can get at the starter connections without removing the manifold. If you are seeing 12V across solenoid when key is turned at least you can try replacing solenoid first.

Cactus52
07-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Looks like I have good voltage at the solenoid so looks like I am going to have to pull it out. Any guidance on how to pull out the intake? Not one of these things I want to take on without it. Although truth be told I have already taken half of it off.

Thanks

bimmerfan52
07-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Looks like I have good voltage at the solenoid so looks like I am going to have to pull it out. Any guidance on how to pull out the intake? Not one of these things I want to take on without it. Although truth be told I have already taken half of it off.

Thanks

I'll PM you a procedure shortly.

bimmerfan52
07-22-2012, 05:18 PM
PM Sent