PDA

View Full Version : Vibration problem

cseghir
07-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I recently purchased a 2010 535 xDrive + M trim package with 38,500 km from a BMW dealer. I noticed an abnormal vibration that I feel in the steering wheel and also in my seat between 100 and 120 km/hr. Not a major vibration but unacceptable for an 'ultimate driving machine'.

They tried using a Road Force balancing system to adjust tire to mag, didn't work, so they changed the 4 tires. I just got the car, the vibration is still there plus I'm getting errors like 4x4 ,abs, dsc, ebv systems aren't working ...

This is my 3rd BMW (530, 335, 535) and I haven't had this kind of a problem before. Is there something they're not telling me ? Should they, BMW, have changed the mags instead of the tires ?

Thanks for your help

tmcd535ixt
07-21-2012, 02:12 PM
The vibration could be caused by a bent rim, you can try to have those looked at by a specialty tire place. The other system errors should be much more concerning, I would have that investigeted by a bmw dealer asap.

Gold323Ci
07-21-2012, 02:26 PM
I bought an 07 530i in 2010 that ended up having 4 bent rims. When the rims/tires were on the balancer, you could tell they were bent because they spun with the rim bowing in and out.

You too could have one or more bent rims. I would be shocked if the dealer didn't see this when they balanced the tires. But, if they balanced the tires on the car, the inside bends would be hard to see.

You might could also have bad bushings but I would be surprised to see that on a 2010 E60. It's too new.

merlintiaga
07-24-2012, 05:17 AM
All those codes sound like a battery going dead. It's common for these cars to start freaking out with malfunction codes when the battery is dying.

Gold323Ci
07-24-2012, 05:26 AM
All those codes sound like a battery going dead. It's common for these cars to start freaking out with malfunction codes when the battery is dying.

This is probably the right answer to somebody else's question. Nobody is talking codes on this one.

cseghir
08-19-2012, 03:15 AM
Finally, after weeks of trying to rebalance tires, the dealer accepted to change the 4 tires for brand new ones, at their cost.

As for the 4x4 error messages, they changed an actuator cable (which didn't work) and on the second visit, they changed the transfer case, which seems to have done the job. No more 4x4 error messages and no more abnormal vibrations in steering wheel and seat.

The car is much better than when I bought it beginning june and the dealer (BMW) did take responsibility for these issues.

monacobmw
08-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Sometimes a defective tire appears and it cannot be balanced. Good job getting them to change the tires.
The hunter 9700 machine often finds this problem, but you have to go to a non-dealer place in order to have access to the readouts.

volfrus
08-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Exactly the same problem after purchase BMW 528xi 2008 from Parkview BMW Toronto. They played 2 moth with it and change everything including all tires, brake pads and rotors. Unfortunately it is really hard to find adequate mechanic in BMW (I am aerospace engineer) most of them know how to change the oil and that is it. They refused to fix the f...g vibration and I escalate it to BMW Canada. After a few week more BMW Canada forced dealership to change driveshaft (I mentioned this reason as soon as I bought the car). AFTER REPLACING BOTH DRIVESHAFT vibration GONE