PDA

View Full Version : Engine light and very rough low RPM (2008 535)? Help?

jfb2002
07-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi,

I have a 2008 535xi (wagon); yesterday I noticed that the engine wasn't delivering nearly as much power as I expected, and this morning the engine light was on and the engine was running very, very rough, particularly at low RPMs, although the problem is noticeable regardless of gear and RPM.

A cursory read of the internet seems to indicate that the N54 engine has repeated and acknowledged problems with the high-pressure fuel pump that might lead to symptoms like this; any truth to the matter? I don't know how to get at the engine fault codes myself, and the iDrive is uselessly happy and shows no problems. Another strange symptom is the smell of burning clutch or brakes after even a tame and uneventful drive through the city. I'm hard on the transmission, but can drive like a normal when necessary, and I have been taking it easy lately because of the smell -- but it seems to happen after drives of a certain distance, regardless.

Of course, the car is THREE WEEKS out of warranty, but I'm going to take it to the dealer on Monday morning to have the codes read and try to talk them into fixing it under warranty -- they did for my clutch and flywheel as a discretionary repair last month, so I'm holding out hope, if this doesn't fall under the extended powertrain warranty.

I love this car and would hate to sell it, but I'm also not made of gold, so if this problem is going to be endemic or the car will be plagued with trouble, I'd sooner sell it to someone who would appreciate it than limp along with it myself.

MachtSchnell
07-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Laundry list of what it could be is long. Is it just a rough idle? Or rough at any rpm. Could be PVC, bad injectors, bad coil, spark plugs, etc, etc. I think you get the point. Some more info and the codes would help, lots of smart folks out here.

Do a forum search on hpfp and you will have weeks of reading.

jfb2002
07-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Is it possible for me to get the codes myself?

(Thanks for the pointers, btw.)

MachtSchnell
07-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Most major auto parts store chains should be able to read them for you. If you want to DIY I would recommend getting a code reader.

06530IDAN
07-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Get one of these if you own a BMW. Call the representative and see if you can get a used one for a cheaper price.
http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx

On second thought, if you are interested, I can let you have this one for $150 shipped. I bought it recently when I had an SES on my car.
http://www.euautohaus.com/product.php?id_product=23

Best of luck to you!

NoQuarter
07-22-2012, 10:58 AM
If you have been taking it to a dealer at all they would have already done the HPFP recall. Should check with them anyway for all recalls.

Oceans10
07-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi,

I have a 2008 535xi (wagon); yesterday I noticed that the engine wasn't delivering nearly as much power as I expected, and this morning the engine light was on and the engine was running very, very rough, particularly at low RPMs, although the problem is noticeable regardless of gear and RPM.

A cursory read of the internet seems to indicate that the N54 engine has repeated and acknowledged problems with the high-pressure fuel pump that might lead to symptoms like this; any truth to the matter? I don't know how to get at the engine fault codes myself, and the iDrive is uselessly happy and shows no problems. Another strange symptom is the smell of burning clutch or brakes after even a tame and uneventful drive through the city. I'm hard on the transmission, but can drive like a normal when necessary, and I have been taking it easy lately because of the smell -- but it seems to happen after drives of a certain distance, regardless.

Of course, the car is THREE WEEKS out of warranty, but I'm going to take it to the dealer on Monday morning to have the codes read and try to talk them into fixing it under warranty -- they did for my clutch and flywheel as a discretionary repair last month, so I'm holding out hope, if this doesn't fall under the extended powertrain warranty.

I love this car and would hate to sell it, but I'm also not made of gold, so if this problem is going to be endemic or the car will be plagued with trouble, I'd sooner sell it to someone who would appreciate it than limp along with it myself.

Have BMW diagnose the problem, then you can decide how to address it. They cover the fuel pump and injectors for 10 years and 120k miles, so if that is your issue the problem will be taken care of for free.
Normally the internal computer will generate fault codes that reveal the source of your problems. It is worth having BMW pull those codes and tell you what is wrong. Go from there.

jfb2002
07-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks to everybody; I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow morning to get this started. I've only had the car about six months, and it spent four of those in the adjectival body shop after I was rear-ended, so I'm a little gun-shy. Cheers!

Mudnyrey
07-24-2012, 02:53 PM
I'd suggest having the codes pulled. you can run to your local Auto Zone or similar that can read codes and have yours pulled and printed.

Mud~

bighead2267
08-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Any update about the problem?