PDA

View Full Version : Over heating

Mark5816
07-22-2012, 07:21 AM
I recently purchased a used 2004 545i it had a rattle coming from the fron of the motor which I now realise that it is the water pump. The car overheated and spued water all over my drivway. My question is with the I system etc. I was supprized no engine lights over overheating messages came on.
My question is Where are the Gauges for water temp oil pressure etc?

borderchris
07-22-2012, 07:44 AM
My first question would be regarding the lack of message. How do you know it overheated? Just because you had a hose or pump failure doesn't mean that it overheated. If you had the presence of mind to turn it off, you probably saved it before it hit the critical zone. On an overheat, you'll get a message in the driver center as well as iDrive. My next question would be... where did the the leak (primarily) came from?

The water pump can be purchased fairly inexpensively (for a good, OEM Graf) at several outlets (not the dealer!), but I caution you; it's a tough job. Do a search, and you'll find several DIYs. The key thing to remember is that'll you'll need to get a belt installation tool for the A/C belt- It doesn't have a tensioner. You'll need to remove the pulley to get to the lower of the bolts on the pump itself. There is a way around it, but I won't post it here since it's a bit non-procedural. Good luck!

Mark5816
07-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks good info. I think it is over heating because after a short run to the store it began leaking and steaming as soon as I got home and shut ti down.
but no lights came on.

borderchris
07-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Well, good job catching the leak, but I don't think you overheated. No big deal- Just find your leak, and get to bendin' some wrenches! :)