PDA

View Full Version : no dip stick

dudeyes
07-23-2012, 12:29 AM
I would like to put a dip stick on a525i is this posible I just can't trust the electric gauge one said ok the other said low add a qt

etnav382
07-23-2012, 01:03 AM
No can do, and how would you even do that anyhow?

boramkiv
07-23-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm sure it's in some way possible, but the time, cost and effort would not be worth it.
What I mean is these engines are built to be maintained. For the 5's it is primarily oil filter housing gaskets. Those gaskets get hard overtime and cause leaks around the housing that can go unnoticed. We can't trust idrive, so there's nothing else to really trust. So we can only trust that we have done all the preventative maintenance at the prescribed intervals. Most other manufactures are starting to go "dipstickless" as well.

txag_530i
07-23-2012, 08:44 AM
The reason that there is no dipstick is because the engine block is a magnesium alloy. BMW wants to minimize moisture in the block because when water and magnesium mix they burst into flames.

If you are getting quirky oil-level readings then I suggest that you change the oil. Clean-up any leaks- around the pan gasket, oil cooler and level instrument- and then refill the engine with oil. Reset the oil-level in iDrive and then keep an eye on things for the next several weeks. If the oil level drops then check for leaks. If there aren't any leaks then have an independent shop check the operation of the oil-level system and repair it as necessary. The sensor costs about $210.