PDA

View Full Version : Headlight going on and off?

Gooseling
07-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Hi guys,

I seem to be experiencing some sort of issue with my left headlight. Basically, when I start the car sometimes, my left headlight (low beam) does not come on. However, I found that after i fiddle around with the light control, the light comes on! Sometimes, this isn't even an issue because the light comes on as soon as the engine starts (I park in a parking garage).
I know it's not the bulb, because i replaced it about a year ago and they are supposed to last way longer than that. Could there be a loose wire or something? If so what do you think is the best way to fix this situation? It's not really an urgent fix since the light seems to be working fine, just kinda frustrating at times that's all...

Thanks

NoQuarter
07-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Hi guys,

I seem to be experiencing some sort of issue with my left headlight. Basically, when I start the car sometimes, my left headlight (low beam) does not come on. However, I found that after i fiddle around with the light control, the light comes on! Sometimes, this isn't even an issue because the light comes on as soon as the engine starts (I park in a parking garage).
I know it's not the bulb, because i replaced it about a year ago and they are supposed to last way longer than that. Could there be a loose wire or something? If so what do you think is the best way to fix this situation? It's not really an urgent fix since the light seems to be working fine, just kinda frustrating at times that's all...

Thanks

Do you get the headlamp warning that shows the bulb is not working?

Just because you replace it a year ago is not confirmation that it is working now. The answer to your question about what is easiest fix? Replace the bulb! If that doesn't fix it then you have a spare :thumbup:

Gooseling
07-23-2012, 10:41 AM
I only get the headlamp warning after i switch the car on and the headlight stays off for a while, then the message comes up on the idrive. If I fiddle with it to make it come back on, the warning goes away. when the lamp comes on normally, there is no warning at all...Any ideas?

NoQuarter
07-23-2012, 01:01 PM
...Any ideas?

Same answer as before

2chill
07-23-2012, 10:51 PM
I would start by checking the bulb also. If you are worried about wasting your money in the event it is not the bulb, try swapping around the two headlight bulbs and see if the problem moves to the other side of the car for confirmation of the type of problem.

Brian Cox
07-23-2012, 11:10 PM
I had a similar problem with a rear left taillight. My genius of a mechanic new instantly what the problem was and cleaned a connection with a piece of wet and dry paper. Problem solved. No charge.

daniel4x3
07-24-2012, 12:39 PM
I had a similar problem with a rear left taillight. My genius of a mechanic new instantly what the problem was and cleaned a connection with a piece of wet and dry paper. Problem solved. No charge.

Do you know if your mechanic cleaned the bulb connection or was it another connection that was cleaned..?

I have had similar issues with my reverse lights (which now seems stable after a lot of fidgeting...) But for future reference.. it'd be good to know!

Thanks

Brian Cox
07-24-2012, 05:02 PM
No it wasn't the bulb contact but it was where the electricity feeds into the the unit quite close to the bulb.