PDA

View Full Version : bug barricade

BruinsBMW
07-25-2012, 06:45 AM
Anybody tried Griot's new Bug Barricade? Thinking about prepping my front bumper before a road trip and wondering if others have had success with this stuff.

TIA

Michael

dboy11
07-25-2012, 08:39 AM
I haven't but I read about it, and it sounds like a heavy sealant to me. That said any good sealant with multiple coats would do the same thing.

BruinsBMW
08-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Got my Bug Barricade today and tried it out on the front bumper. The liquid is very viscous and comes out of the sprayer in a jet-like stream of slime. (Don't want to pull too hard on the sprayer trigger... A little dab'll do.) Spread it out in small areas with a microfiber cloth.

The bottle says it may leave a slight film or haze; I did not experience that on my Le Mans blue, but I did notice a few streaks in spots--probably the result of poor application technique. It is not noticeable except upon very close scrutiny, so I'm not too worried about it. I would probably not recommend applying it just prior to an auto show. I'm thinking this stuff is best for slathering on before a big road trip or (as in my case) on your daily driver.

Now comes the test: will the bug jerky slide off next time I wash?

gmblack3
08-07-2012, 09:43 PM
I use Wolf's "the mask"

Goes on thick, but levels out and its hard to tell its on the surface. So no need to try and touch it. With a strong hose or 1400 psi pressure washer, the bugs will wash off.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Wolfs-Chemicals-WB-1N--The-Mask_p_663.html

dboy11
08-08-2012, 11:13 AM
It would be good to see a follow up report on how this product preforms..thanks in advance

BruinsBMW
08-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Well, here's your report:

Took her out for a spin tonight and collected a nice assortment of critters on the front bumper. A quick water-only hose-down and the bugs were history. No scrubbing, rubbing, or otherwise touching the vehicle.

So far, I'm pleased. I'll probably give the car a full wash and wax after a road trip this weekend, so we'll see if I run into any issues with removing the product, etc.

aray
08-08-2012, 09:11 PM
+1 for wolfs mask. I'd be interested to see how the griots performs.