PDA

View Full Version : 5-Series Advice

Shorte
07-25-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm new here and I'm looking into buying my first BMW. I'm primarily looking at getting a preowned 2008-2010 model of the 528i or 535i, whichever I find for a good deal.

Price wise I've found several CPO under $30K with low mileage in the colors I like, my questions are really about the different packages and options available for the cars.

Is it worth forking over extra money for a 2010 over a 2008? I've even found a few 2008's with 15k miles on it so to me thats essentially a "Like New" car. Is there a big difference between 2008-2010 models?

Are there key features you enjoy about your cars that you might concider "Must have"? I like the idea of navigation but with smart phones now adays it doesn't seem to be a necessity. Do these cars have the reverse camera or parking sensors?

Is the keyless start or push to start (red button) a standard feature on all of these cars or an additional option? Finally, what's the difference between the "Sports Package" and the "Premium Package" and is it possible to have both on the car?

Thank you in advance!

dwlink
07-25-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm new here and I'm looking into buying my first BMW. I'm primarily looking at getting a preowned 2008-2010 model of the 528i or 535i, whichever I find for a good deal.

Price wise I've found several CPO under $30K with low mileage in the colors I like, my questions are really about the different packages and options available for the cars.

Is it worth forking over extra money for a 2010 over a 2008? I've even found a few 2008's with 15k miles on it so to me thats essentially a "Like New" car. Is there a big difference between 2008-2010 models?

Are there key features you enjoy about your cars that you might concider "Must have"? I like the idea of navigation but with smart phones now adays it doesn't seem to be a necessity. Do these cars have the reverse camera or parking sensors?

Is the keyless start or push to start (red button) a standard feature on all of these cars or an additional option? Finally, what's the difference between the "Sports Package" and the "Premium Package" and is it possible to have both on the car?

Thank you in advance!

Biggest difference between an '08 and a '10 is the new iDrive. BMW did a very nice overhaul on the computer interface that you use for all your entertainment, climate, and vehicle settings.

Must haves for me would be premium, sport, and cold weather packages for starters. Aside of that, the premium sound is the only must have stand alone option for me. Navigation and active steering are nice, but not necessary for me.

Parking sensors (known as PDC) are another stand alone option - I believe they are now included in the convenience package on the newer model cars.

Push to start is standard on all 5 series MY '06 and later - at least for US vehicles. Sports package gives you very nice seats, an upgraded suspension, nicer wheels, higher top speed limiter (160 I think), and shadow line trim. Can be further upgraded with the sport transmission and paddle shifters if you go the automatic route. Premium package bundles leather seats, auto dimming mirrors, interior accent lighting, and a built in garage door opener in the rear view mirror.

Careful - the auto dimming mirrors are like a plague. Say what you want, but having to flip the little tab at night on the rear view mirror in a rental car drives me absolutely nuts.

txag_530i
07-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Stick with the 528i. The N54 twin-turbo 3.0L engine in the 535i had a lot of problems with the high-pressure fuel pimp.

Shorte
07-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up! Good info guys, thanks!

Do you know if Certified pre-owned is the way to go or are BMW's reliable enough to pick up off any other used dealer lots, ie Ford, Acura, Toyota?

uwhusky
07-25-2012, 08:44 AM
I have to disagree with txag_530i about going with a 528 over a 535. The N54 engine is more reliable now than when it was first introduced and the warranty on the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) has been extended to 12 years. If you get a CPO, extended warranty or 3rd party warranty, you're going to be fine. The 535 is so much faster and has so much more power than the 528 it's no comparison. Additionally, you'll have a number of options available to you to tune the 535 to get even more HP out of it and you'll have much more fun with the car.

I had a 330xi and went to a 535xi and am thankful I did. I loved the 330xi for it's handling and luxuriness but the 535xi has both of those and will smoke just about anyone on the road (I have the Cobb AP tuner but even un-tuned, the N54 engine will smoke most other cars).

In regards to options, definately get Sports, Premium packages. Cold weather in Houston may not be necessary. Nav is nice to have, PDC is nice to have, Comfort Access is nice to have bordering on a must have. I can't think of what else. I think having USB is very nice to have (I dont' have it). Other than that, I can't think of much.

churchill
07-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Find one with the Logic 7 stereo its much better than the base stereo.

NoQuarter
07-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Stick with the 528i. The N54 twin-turbo 3.0L engine in the 535i had a lot of problems with the high-pressure fuel pimp.

This is bad advice. :thumbdwn:

luxcar
07-25-2012, 10:09 AM

I think the problem with HPFP are resolved with the latest revision.

boramkiv
07-25-2012, 12:19 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Mainly the recommendation of the 528i vs the 535i would be the power difference. Since the recall and warranty extensions have been fixed, those N54 motors are now better than the N52's in terms of longevity.

ntocamping
07-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Comfort Access, Logic 7 and even HUD are must haves. Some may argue the HUD but if you have it you will want it and mine is never turned off. I never look at my speedometer anymore.

Oceans10
07-25-2012, 01:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Mainly the recommendation of the 528i vs the 535i would be the power difference. Since the recall and warranty extensions have been fixed, those N54 motors are now better than the N52's in terms of longevity.

+1 unless you don't care about power. Comfort seats, L7, Nav, heated seats.
Don't worry about miles so much, check maintenance and service records, ownership history. Those are more important. CPO is nice, but if you budget $500-1,000 for annual maintenance and repairs you will be fine without.

My 08 535 sedan now has close to 80,000 miles and I replaced the mechatronic valve sleeve, cleaned the intake valves with walnut blasting, replaced lower control arms and bushings, replaced water pump and thermostat, new spark plugs, new HPFP and injectors done by BMW as extended warranty. This is since taking possession in early April 2011.
Total cost has been around $3,000 but now I should be good for several more years of just chainging oil and filters.
There's no way to get around maintenance with any car, but there are ways to be smart about it and prepared in advance.

jamie75
07-25-2012, 08:15 PM
for what it is worth I came across a 528 garage kept with 33k miles. got it for $25k. I drive a lot for work and love it. only thing that was a must have for me was the Sat radio since I drive a lot for work and got to have my Stern :)

Ggramirez
07-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Houston, if you are in the market for a cpo BMW, I just bought a 2009 535 less than a month ago. Premium pkg, leather, auto dim lights, heated seats, etc. 45,000 miles. Also opted to go with the maintenance pkg where I receive free maintenance until 100,000 miles.

However, I am looking to part with it early for the right price. It's a win win - you get a cpo BMW with the works as you would directly from the dealer but without the hassle and mountain of fees and taxes and I get a smooth transaction.

Why wouldn't anyone be interested. It is flawless. Let me know...

borderchris
07-25-2012, 09:42 PM

Worst e60 advice I've heard in a while, although I like the pimp reference. The 528i is a slug light-to-light. The 535i is an outstanding car with basically zero common problems other than HPFP issues. And that's coming from a die-hard 550i guy.

BMW has made the HPFP problems right, and will continue to warrant it for many years to come, even on out of warranty cars.

Get a 535i or 550i- They both get decent mileage on the highway, and are one hell of a lot more fun to drive than a 528i. The e60 is just too heavy for a 225 hp engine; 300 or 360 is a better choice. Trust me, you won't get that stellar of milage on a 528i, either- It's still a heavy car.

BTW, I would hate a high pressure fuel pimp. "Oh, you gonna buy this gas, muthaf***a!"

booyaazaa
07-25-2012, 10:46 PM

BTW, I would hate a high pressure fuel pimp. "Oh, you gonna buy this gas, muthaf***a!"[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

etsok1
07-26-2012, 05:09 AM
Get something with the 20 way multi contour seats. They were part of the sport package on my 2010, but are also available as a stand alone option. I like the Nav even though it is sometimes a little flakey, easy to glance over at the screen to check traffic and to send destinations to the car from a pc or smartphone. I also have the cold weather package (Heated seats wheel and headlight washers but don't know if you need that in Houston)

TangoRed
07-26-2012, 05:26 AM

Better in terms of longevity? That is a stretch.

Having said that, OP test drive both. If that extra power matters to you, get a 535i and never look back. The 528i is hardly a slug but the 535i is substantially quicker. I would pay more attention to 2010 versus an older model. The new idrive is so much better.

NoQuarter
07-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Better in terms of longevity? That is a stretch.

The N54 stock internal motors are handling about 600 whp when tuned and upgraded with a larger turbo. That says a lot about the potential longevity of the motor I think. Now it says nothing about the N52 being any worse or not of course but this is strong evidence about the strength of the N54.

Not too many engines out there more than doubling the bhp without piston ugrades and so on.

heffdiddy
07-26-2012, 09:50 AM
i think you should drive both of them and decide. if you go for the 528 getting the sport package isnt really necesary. the premium package is what you want on that one. if you go with the 535 the sport package is a must along with the premium package. between the 2008 and 2010, i would base that decision on the price difference versus what you are willing to spend. the newer idrive is great but if it costs another $5,000 for essentially the same car i would pass and go with the 08. logic 7 is something you want as is PDC. everything else is just add on and you would probably be able to live without. i use the heated seats about 3 times a year and the nav maybe twice a year.

the CPO is a nice piece of mind but a third party warranty is going to give you better coverage. also save a little money every month for maintenance ($50) and do not get the extended maintenance plan.

TangoRed
07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
The N54 stock internal motors are handling about 600 whp when tuned and upgraded with a larger turbo. That says a lot about the potential longevity of the motor I think. Now it says nothing about the N52 being any worse or not of course but this is strong evidence about the strength of the N54.

Not too many engines out there more than doubling the bhp without piston ugrades and so on.

Oh I'm well aware of what's going on in the N54 tuning scene and I agree the engine is definitely very strong. That does not, however, satisfy the rest of the variables that go along with the motor in stock form. I seriously doubt the N52 is going to be having issues with the engine internals in its stock form either. They're both good engines, just giving the N52 credit where its due. :)

NoQuarter
07-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Oh I'm well aware of what's going on in the N54 tuning scene and I agree the engine is definitely very strong. That does not, however, satisfy the rest of the variables that go along with the motor in stock form. I seriously doubt the N52 is going to be having issues with the engine internals in its stock form either. They're both good engines, just giving the N52 credit where its due. :)

Well said :thumbup: I have one of each and love them both!

I like the sound of my N52 better- no turbos to spoil it.

boramkiv
07-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Well, to clarify what I said was the fact that the N52 has the fragile build with it's magnesium construction and all. Add to that Valvetronic and it's more moving fragile parts. I concur the N52 is quite the motor, I love the technology and it even sounds great. I would just feel more secure with the N54 if given the choice, especially since the recall. This is just comparing these two by the way.

borderchris
07-26-2012, 01:09 PM
The 528i is hardly a slug but the 535i is substantially quicker...

Substantially is putting it a bit mildly. Sorry, Tango, but a low seven-second 0-60 and a quarter mile deep in the 15's are pretty sluggish in anybody's book. Just sayin' ;)

boramkiv
07-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Substantially is putting it a bit mildly. Sorry, Tango, but a low seven-second 0-60 and a quarter mile deep in the 15's are pretty sluggish in anybody's book. Just sayin' ;)

Haaaaaaaay, Watchit buddy. Easy on the N52 there.
It's sure does smoke anything Scion has to offer...
Wait. :eeps: Nah, but at least they are E60's and thats a good crowd to be part of!!:D

Bremen Ben
07-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Totally agree, very bad advice.

TangoRed
07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
New s/n, see response below

Serpens
07-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Just moved, decided I'd get a new screen name to go with the house. :)

Well, to clarify what I said was the fact that the N52 has the fragile build with it's magnesium construction and all. Add to that Valvetronic and it's more moving fragile parts. I concur the N52 is quite the motor, I love the technology and it even sounds great. I would just feel more secure with the N54 if given the choice, especially since the recall. This is just comparing these two by the way.

And one could also fear turbo failure. Regardless, I would not realistically expect either of them to suffer from catastrophic failure. For the OP's purposes, I just don't think he/she needs to worry on that front with either choice.

It's been tested at 6.5sec, but that's splitting hairs. In day to day driving I'm honestly never wanting for more power. But yes, when I feel like some fast driving I do not walk past my car's 500hp garage mate. :)

Haaaaaaaay, Watchit buddy. Easy on the N52 there.
It's sure does smoke anything Scion has to offer...
Wait. :eeps: Nah, but at least they are E60's and thats a good crowd to be part of!!:D

Let's face it, a V6 Camry will dust a 528i from a stoplight. They've gotten quite quick. I understand this is an enthusiast forum, but it truly amuses me how people describe different trims of the E60. Especially people (not referencing anyone in this thread) who think the 550i with the boat anchor V8 is a the better choice for a sports car than the 535i. But that's been going on since 2008, I suppose. ;)

borderchris
07-26-2012, 08:55 PM
... who think the 550i with the boat anchor V8 is a the better choice for a sports car than the 535i.

Boat anchor? It's an all aluminum, quite lightweight and rather small 4.8 liter V8, that makes a ton of power for its size. And it's descendent is in the new M3.

Really?

So explain my near perfect 51/49 weight ratio. And the same on the 535i... And the fact that my 550i slaloms for speed and handling right alongside my I6 e39.

Whatever, man. You don't know your e60s.

528i running 6.5 seconds to 60? Dream on, buddy. I can't do that in my 5 speed e39 530i, which has some mods, BTW- closer to the claimed 6.9 actually. :rolleyes:

Serpens
07-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Easy there. If you like your 550i then be proud of it, no need to be on the defensive. There's definitely something to be said for the sound and torque of a V8. That's why we have choices. :)

Boat anchor? It's an all aluminum, quite lightweight and rather small 4.8 liter V8, that makes a ton of power for its size.

Really?

So explain my near perfect 51/49 weight ratio. And the same on the 535i... And the fact that my 550i slaloms for speed and handling right alongside my I6 e39.

It's still heavy compared to its brethren. If you really wanted the best formula for a sports car, you probably wouldn't choose the slightly nose heavy one if a better alternative was available. Have you driven a 535i and a 550i back to back on a track or a very twisty mountain road? The extra weight sitting on the nose of the 550i is apparent. It's not something you'll notice on a day to day basis, but if you're looking for a true sports sedan it's something to consider. So yes, it may be splitting hairs but it is what it is. Sounds like you're enjoying your car for it's intended purpose.

Oh, yeah. 528i? 6.5 seconds? Dream on, buddy. I can't do that in my 5 speed e39 530i, which has some mods, BTW. :rolleyes:

That would make sense, as you probably didn't launch your car in optimal conditions and use a foot rollout like car magazines do for all of their tests. As I said, it's been tested hitting 0-60mph at that speed. No dreaming required. However, I have no interest in scouring the internet to find where I read that so if you don't believe that's fine. I have another German vehicle for speed, I don't need to lie about the 528i. :dunno:

I just realized I derailed this thread a large amount. :rofl: Sorry Shorte.

Shorte
07-27-2012, 06:12 AM
Wow this is a lot of great feedback! After test driving both the 528 and 535 and getting feed back from you guys I think I'm definitely favoring the 535, I like being able to accelerate when needed especially here in Houston traffic.

That being said, I think i've stumbled onto a great deal:

http://www.dfwluxurycars.com/inventory/view/5608433/2009-BMW-535i%20xDrive%20Navigation%20Sport%20Premium

Let me know what you think of this car but I think it tops my list from what i've found so far

My only question left is that it appears this car is AWD and the ones i've test driven is RWD, in the long run is one better than the other or less maintenance? I imagine you would have more control in an AWD car and I personally don't see anything negative except maybe it adds to the weight of the car but as stated I've never driven one so I don't know if it takes away from the feel of the car.

Any additional input is great!

churchill
07-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Pull a Car-Fax on this unit as I believe it has been in a accident. I'm also in the market for 535i xDrive and have been looking around the country.. Good luck with your search!

Shorte
07-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Pull a Car-Fax on this unit as I believe it has been in a accident. I'm also in the market for 535i xDrive and have been looking around the country.. Good luck with your search!

Haven't pulled a car fax on it yet, but i felt more confident because they have a picture of a BMW Inspection Report stating they found no signs of damage or previous repair. I think pulling a car fax is a great idea before making the drive to Dallas

Either way I'm in no hurry so if this is too good to be true I'm sure i'll find a similarly priced car if I wait long enough.

borderchris
07-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Have you driven a 535i and a 550i back to back on a track or a very twisty mountain road? The extra weight sitting on the nose of the 550i is apparent...

I have indeed; I've owned both I6 and V8 e60s. And neither one was "nose-heavy". You read too many internet postings, from people who haven't even driven the cars. According to my multiple e60 brochures in front of me, the weight ratio of the 535i and 550i are basically identical. Try actually driving one- Something you haven't done on any account (BTW, it helps if you actually own a BMW before you make comments).

Defensive? I don't need to be defensive with a 2 post wonder (with no pics of their garage) who claims to have changed his or her name beacuse they moved.

Have a good time. :)

Serpens
07-27-2012, 08:14 AM
I have indeed; I've owned both I6 and V8 e60s. And neither one was "nose-heavy". You read too many internet postings, from people who haven't even driven the cars. According to my multiple e60 brochures in front of me, the weight ratio of the 535i and 550i are basically identical. Try actually driving one- Something you haven't done on any account (BTW, it helps if you actually own a BMW before you make comments).

Defensive? I don't need to be defensive with a 2 post wonder (with no pics of their garage) who claims to have changed his or her name beacuse they moved.

Have a good time. :)

You are certainly being defensive. I'll let this be my last post in response to you. I still have my old user account (TangoRed), I had no reason for changing it other than I wanted to get rid of my old name. I'm not sure what you're hinting at.

You're honestly making yourself look ridiculous at this point. According to your post, you know me very well. Apparently I don't have a BMW nor have I driven any iteration of the E60. :tsk:

I own a 2010 528i, so thanks I have a BMW. It's not my only car nor is it my first BMW. I needed a low key DD and this car fit the bill. I also have another German vehicle with a 2 doors, a couple of snails buried in the engine compartment, and over 500hp. And then I have a large SUV. I used to spend a good amount of time on the track which came to an abrupt end with my move. My experience with the E60 comes from a day flogging a 535i and a 550i 2 years ago on road atlanta, so yes I have driven those too.

You're obviously being defensive if you see the need to assume things as if you know me and insult me. Sorry, there's no denying the 550i has about an extra 200 pounds sitting on the nose of the car in comparison to the 535i. You can't deny physics, no matter how many insults you sling. This makes the 535i more of the ideal set up for a true sports sedan. I'm not calling any iteration of the E60 nose heavy in general, but the 550i is more nose heavy than the 535i. I hope that makes sense, I didn't mean to make that a complicated concept.

And yes, I do not have pictures of my garage nor will I ever. I try to limit my internet footprint as much as possible. Just a personal rule. If you find solace in refuting everything I say due to this policy of mine, then that's fine by me. Internet life doesn't mean much to me.

heffdiddy
07-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Wow this is a lot of great feedback! After test driving both the 528 and 535 and getting feed back from you guys I think I'm definitely favoring the 535, I like being able to accelerate when needed especially here in Houston traffic.

That being said, I think i've stumbled onto a great deal:

http://www.dfwluxurycars.com/inventory/view/5608433/2009-BMW-535i%20xDrive%20Navigation%20Sport%20Premium

Let me know what you think of this car but I think it tops my list from what i've found so far

My only question left is that it appears this car is AWD and the ones i've test driven is RWD, in the long run is one better than the other or less maintenance? I imagine you would have more control in an AWD car and I personally don't see anything negative except maybe it adds to the weight of the car but as stated I've never driven one so I don't know if it takes away from the feel of the car.

Any additional input is great!

buying the xi would be a waste for houston. the joy of the rwd is worth looking for one since you wouldnt benefit from having awd.

Shorte
07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah I've only test driven the RWD and I loved the feel. Much different than my current FWD Acura RSX... I found out that the vehicle I posted earlier had been in an accident and while it's probably ok it's not worth me driving to dallas for lol....

I'll be looking but I think I'm leaning towards a 535 with RWD unless i find a killer deal on a 528. Thanks again for all your input!

dolfan13
07-27-2012, 02:21 PM
V8 weight might sit further back because its a little shorter than a I6?Maybe compensate for extra 200 pounds.Never been one for hanging tools,my tools all in box and cabinet.Pictures wouldnt look as glamorous.Would stick a smile here but not my style.