PDA

View Full Version : Replacing CAS

Gee_115
07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Hello all, I am about to undertake a mission to replace my CAS with a new one. I currently have an OPS unit with DIS 57 and SSS 41. I also have a brand new key from dealer. I am not sure how to go about this mission since the CAS and key are virgin. I also have to change VIN in DME.

Do i hook up the CAS then initialize the key before encode/programming?

If I have to encode/program CAS before key how do you go about this because from what I understand the ignition needs to be on to program?

How do I resync CAS and DME? Which tool is easiest, DIS, progman, or INPA?

I apologize for so many questions.
Any help on how to go about this DIY would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andy760
08-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Hello all, I am about to undertake a mission to replace my CAS with a new one. I currently have an OPS unit with DIS 57 and SSS 41. I also have a brand new key from dealer. I am not sure how to go about this mission since the CAS and key are virgin. I also have to change VIN in DME.

Do i hook up the CAS then initialize the key before encode/programming?

If I have to encode/program CAS before key how do you go about this because from what I understand the ignition needs to be on to program?

How do I resync CAS and DME? Which tool is easiest, DIS, progman, or INPA?

I apologize for so many questions.
Any help on how to go about this DIY would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry but you cannot change the vin in a DME using the BMW. Tools unless it has never been used and is "blank"

Gee_115
08-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Sorry but you cannot change the vin in a DME using the BMW. Tools unless it has never been used and is "blank"

Actually you can use WinKfp to change VIN in a used DME.

resistro
11-25-2013, 05:35 AM
You ever get this to work. I need to repace CAS and program with used CAS-OR-replace CAS and DME amd KEY and do not have to program?

Gee_115
11-25-2013, 09:02 AM
You ever get this to work. I need to repace CAS and program with used CAS-OR-replace CAS and DME amd KEY and do not have to program?

You cannot use a used CAS unless you use one with the DME and key all from the same car. problem with that, there will be issues because nothing will match-up with the rest of the car.

I bought a new CAS and key (you will need your title to purchase these parts). I also got the DME 'virginize.' If you have the original DME with the correct Vin then you don't need to do anything to DME. What is your situation? If you explain in more detail I could better advise.

banglenot
11-25-2013, 09:03 AM
RGEE 115, is it truly bricked? Just because you screwed up the programming does not necessaily mean it can't be reprogrammed. Have you talked to a good Indy about it?

Second, here and outfit that says it can reprogram your ECU and CAS, including new keys and vin.

http://www.rpmmotorsport.net/

Call them and discuss it.

One more thing. If it's a crank-no-start condition (that is, it cranks, but there's no start and no SES light) it may be that you screwed the ECU-CAS connection. Don't know what engine you have, but if it's and N52 or N54 theres a setting in INPA that will reset your start value comparison.

Good luck.

Gee_115
11-25-2013, 09:53 AM
You misunderstand. My situation was different. It was not bricked, it was not a programming issue. I had a CAS, DME, and key from a totaled car installed into my car. Therefore the Vin did not match my car even though the car was starting and driving properly. You can reprogram a CAS but you cannot encode it once it has already been encoded with a Vin number. CAS are specific to your car.

Do not believe RPMmotorsport. They told me with confidence that they could change the VIN number in the DME, CAS and key to match my car's VIN. I sent everything to them and they could not. Their customer service was horrible, Chris would tell you he will call but he never does and he is not knowledgeable about the process at all. He seems to be more of a sales person trying to get you through the door, so to speak. They ended up just virginize the DME ( something you could possibly do with Winkfp by yourself) still charged me the quoted price of $600. I would stay away from those guys. If you have to, buy the CAS and Key from the dealer(no way around that), then try to change the DME with Winkfp.

banglenot
11-25-2013, 02:00 PM
You misunderstand. My situation was different. It was not bricked, it was not a programming issue. I had a CAS, DME, and key from a totaled car installed into my car. Therefore the Vin did not match my car even though the car was starting and driving properly. You can reprogram a CAS but you cannot encode it once it has already been encoded with a Vin number. CAS are specific to your car.

Do not believe RPMmotorsport. They told me with confidence that they could change the VIN number in the DME, CAS and key to match my car's VIN. I sent everything to them and they could not. Their customer service was horrible, Chris would tell you he will call but he never does and he is not knowledgeable about the process at all. He seems to be more of a sales person trying to get you through the door, so to speak. They ended up just virginize the DME ( something you could possibly do with Winkfp by yourself) still charged me the quoted price of $600. I would stay away from those guys. If you have to, buy the CAS and Key from the dealer(no way around that), then try to change the DME with Winkfp.

Good info and review on RPMotorsport. That's how we all learn who'd goo or bad. Thanks.

If anyone has input on a different source for GEE, please let him know.

Gee_115
11-25-2013, 03:23 PM
If anyone has input on a different source for GEE, please let him know.

I am good I don't need anything. This post was from last year my car is good to go someone asked a question and I was responding.

resistro
11-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Im the dude with the 'bricked' CAS...

I bought a used KEY (w/tumbler), DME, CAS and pluged it all in and the car fired right up. That was all I need to do is get my car running again for time being. But, I will need to fix my things the right way. I am going to try to re-flash with WinKFP (hopfully I can download the daten files with getting a virus on my PC) my oringonal CAS hoping I can get it to work so I can have my origonal DME in my car.

I think you guys answerd what I was going to ask next. ...which was how to flash my used DME and CAS with my correct VIN.....I guess I cant just flash the used CAS I bought to my originol VIN either.

Lets say I HAVE to leave the used CAS and DME in my car, what is all the other stuff I got to do to the other modules??
:dunno:

Gee_115
11-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Im the dude with the 'bricked' CAS...

Lets say I HAVE to leave the used CAS and DME in my car, what is all the other stuff I got to do to the other modules??
:dunno:

The easiest route for you would be to buy a new CAS since you have your original DME and key, that is if the flash of your CAS does not work. Make sure to try the flash first because someone said their CAS was dead flashed it and it started working again.

If you leave the used CAS and DME, there are a bunch of stuff that will never work properly. Your KOMBI and CAS will never align(you can't change Vin in the KOMBI), the DSC, and Steering angle will never work properly unless you change all those to the Vin number of the CAS. You will also have to update the VO of this CAS to match that of your CAR. The best way to do that is to copy the VO from your existing original LM. If the VOs are not correct certain options on your car will not work properly. e'g. adaptive lights, blue tooth, etc. All options on your CAR has to match the options in the VO of the CAS.

The biggest consequence however, is that dealers will refuse to work on your car. So if there is an issue that you can't resolve by your self, you are stuck trying to find a professional that will work on it.

wesley7
09-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Question. Do you have to replace the key with a new CAS? Reason I ask is that I replaced the CAS. Programmed and encoded, aligned with the DME. But my comfort start and comfort opening do not work. Did I miss a step in intitialization or do I have to code the comfort features in?

Gee_115
09-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Question. Do you have to replace the key with a new CAS? Reason I ask is that I replaced the CAS. Programmed and encoded, aligned with the DME. But my comfort start and comfort opening do not work. Did I miss a step in intitialization or do I have to code the comfort features in?

I will assume the car starts ok since you got a new CAS from the dealer so your issue is purely one of comfort access not working properly. Yes you did miss a step, the key has to be coded in the CAS as either profile 1 or 2 the only two positions which alows comfort access to work.

Here is the procedure using DIS, this is the only way I know how. I am also sure it works because I did it.

When you scan your car with DIS, go into "Function Selection", then "Service Functions", then "Body", then "Locking and Security Functions", then "Remote Control/Key". After insert key drive for a mile or two.