PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Tint

HotRodW
07-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Can anybody tell me if the US version of the X1 will have privacy glass on the rear windows? I know it was shown with dark tint at the New York Auto Show, but all the pictures I've seen of production models have uniform tint on all glass. Even the gallery on BMW's website pictures the Euro spec vehicles without privacy glass. I had assumed blackout tint from the B-pillar back was standard, but it occurs to me that I've seen no proof of that.

JIM2013X1
07-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Thought about the privacy tint also since no websites show it. Tinted windows are not legal in PA with the exception of B-pillar rearward on vehicles that have a flat loading floor. I woudl think the X1 falls into that category. Don't want to do the after-market tinting on such an expensive auto. I should know for sure in a few weeks when mine arrives.

HotRodW
07-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Salesman checked and confirmed BMW is not offering privacy glass on the X1. That's disappointing.

iamthewalrus
07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Salesman checked and confirmed BMW is not offering privacy glass on the X1. That's disappointing.

Sounds like a really strange product choice. Wonder what BMW USA was thinking. :dunno: Perhaps another way to distinguish the X3 from the X1?
I must be in that strange group of people who wants a small, premium SUV. Just because it's small doesn't mean it should be inferior to the larger SUVs. Small is good, particularly when you live in a city.

-James
San Francisco, CA

HotRodW
07-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Sounds like a really strange product choice. Wonder what BMW USA was thinking. :dunno: Perhaps another way to distinguish the X3 from the X1?
I must be in that strange group of people who wants a small, premium SUV. Just because it's small doesn't mean it should be inferior to the larger SUVs. Small is good, particularly when you live in a city.

-James
San Francisco, CA

I believe both the X5 and X3 were originally offered here in the US without privacy tint. I'm sure it was easier since they don't tint the windows for the European market. But BMW realized we Americans expected the tint and they adjusted accordingly. That's why I find this decision rather odd. Maybe I could understand the lack of tint for the base model, but all models?