PDA

View Full Version : White smooke from my 545i

shifty22123
07-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Hey guys! Yesterday I was driving my car not pushing it or anything and all of a sudden when I pulled away at a stop sign I left a huge cloud of white smoke behind. On a cold startup there is no smoke but as soon as the engine warms up there will be a buildup of smoke coming from the exhaust.

I looked into it and it seem like it may be coolant getting into the exhaust. The problem is I can't really find any info on similar problems on e60 models.

Could it be the oil separator valve? There is a lot of suction coming from the dipstick tube and when I pulled out the dipstick the car died on me.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

dolfan13
07-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Keif over on the 7 side(e65-66) did a giant DIY.VALVE SEALS!Engine needs to come out in 5 series.Good Indy shop here did that and almost every seal on the engine for 3500$.DID NOT remove heads or intake,save a lot of time.7 series guys went round and round with this,long thread.I have a really cool Indy ,he even took a look at keifs DIY.

Hectorml07
07-26-2012, 03:28 PM
I had an e39 528i before and had the same issue as you. However, mine would throw the white smoke upon start up and when I took off from a stop on some occasions. I took my car to a shop and they told me it was the valve seals and he told me once they get deep inside the engine they could find more issues so I got quoted for a lot of $$$. I did some research and someone mentioned it might be the oil separator valve. Went to dealer bought part and put it in myself, and just like that problem solved :).

I would try that first if I were you, the part was around $100ishh dollars if I remember correctly. It might just be the same issue as mine.

How many miles on your car?

shifty22123
07-26-2012, 03:40 PM
The car has around 130k miles so im sure it can be a valve. I called a local indy bmw shop and got quoted $130 to get the oil separator valve replaced but the mechanic said he isn't sure that it may be what is causing it. I think I'm going to take it in for diagnostics which is free to check it out. Only thing is I can't get it checked out until next tuesday

Hectorml07
07-27-2012, 04:43 PM
The car has around 130k miles so im sure it can be a valve. I called a local indy bmw shop and got quoted $130 to get the oil separator valve replaced but the mechanic said he isn't sure that it may be what is causing it. I think I'm going to take it in for diagnostics which is free to check it out. Only thing is I can't get it checked out until next tuesday

Sounds good post updates.