PDA

View Full Version : Sport mode driving

qness335
07-26-2012, 07:46 PM
hello all,

I was wondering if this is normal to our e60. Whenever I drive under Sport mode, I feel that the brakes are being applied gently when I release my foot from the gas pedal before I even put my foot on brake pedal. This happens when I come to a stop or red light. However, I don't feel it when I'm not under Sport mode.
Even with Cobb installed, I experience the same.
my car is 09 535 with Sport pkg

thank you for your input.

Oceans10
07-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Cobb has nothing to do with the brakes.
Any other strange symptoms?
It might be that the difference between driving a tuned car and stock makes you perceive the car to be braking slightly when you come off the gas. It's simply lack of forward thrust.

One afternoon I was racing a pesky little 135 on the highway, and at 120 mph the low engine oil warning light came on, causing my JB4 tune to shut itself off. It literally felt like the car fell off a cliff, the deceleration was that extreme. I felt suspended in mid air as if I was levitating. But of course the car was just rapidly slowing down since the engine lost several hundred hp in an instant. (From full tune with meth to limp mode.)

etnav382
07-26-2012, 08:05 PM
This happens in my 06 550. I believe its more of the car holding onto a given gear longer and causing engine braking to be more pronounced.

burnie35
07-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Happens in my 09 535 also ... agree with qness335 that's it's the transmission holding back rather than the brakes. It does it a bit in regular Drive also, but not so noticeably.

lbcdude
07-26-2012, 09:16 PM
This happens in my 06 550. I believe its more of the car holding onto a given gear longer and causing engine braking to be more pronounced.

+1 Noticed the same thing on an E350 I test drove prior to purchasing my 535.

UltimateDriving
07-27-2012, 01:29 AM
As many others have said, it's the transmission holding you. :)

550i4TW
07-27-2012, 06:55 AM
You probably felt this due to the fact that the overdrive is disabled when you turn on the sport mode, allowing the transmission to slow you much more abruptly than it would in the higher overdrive gear.

booyaazaa
07-27-2012, 07:03 AM
you probably felt this due to the fact that the overdrive is disabled when you turn on the sport mode, allowing the transmission to slow you much more abruptly than it would in the higher overdrive gear.

+1

burnie35
07-27-2012, 09:57 AM
You probably felt this due to the fact that the overdrive is disabled when you turn on the sport mode, allowing the transmission to slow you much more abruptly than it would in the higher overdrive gear.

An even more precise explanation! :thumbup:

Gilgorm
07-27-2012, 11:35 AM
+1 One of the reasons I DON'T use Sport mode because the car feels like it is going to trip over something; and uncomfortable for passengers.

550i4TW
07-27-2012, 11:39 AM
i won't lie, its fun as hell when you are really trying to get after it, but for normal driving its not even worth depressing the sport button, the transmission shifts so nicely and quick as well as coasting nice and smooth without being in sport mode. spirited driving is a different ball game all together.

qness335
07-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Cobb has nothing to do with the brakes.
Any other strange symptoms?
It might be that the difference between driving a tuned car and stock makes you perceive the car to be braking slightly when you come off the gas. It's simply lack of forward thrust.

One afternoon I was racing a pesky little 135 on the highway, and at 120 mph the low engine oil warning light came on, causing my JB4 tune to shut itself off. It literally felt like the car fell off a cliff, the deceleration was that extreme. I felt suspended in mid air as if I was levitating. But of course the car was just rapidly slowing down since the engine lost several hundred hp in an instant. (From full tune with meth to limp mode.)

I was fortunate enough to buy a CPO without any major issue beside the fuel pump got replaced 2 weeks ago. I was freaked out since the engine almost shut off on the freeway. No other strange symptoms.

I'm sure that 135 was thinking he beat you :rofl:

qness335
07-27-2012, 06:10 PM

So I guess this is all normal, I just wanted to make sure and address the issue before my warranty runs out at the end of the year.

+1 One of the reasons I DON'T use Sport mode because the car feels like it is going to trip over something; and uncomfortable for passengers.

I agree. Its kinda hesitate to start smoothly. I drive in regular mode for most of the time and Sport mode when I try to get onto the freeway to be with the flow :D

Thank you all for the info, as always this forum is fantastic.

qness335
07-27-2012, 06:14 PM
i won't lie, its fun as hell when you are really trying to get after it, but for normal driving its not even worth depressing the sport button, the transmission shifts so nicely and quick as well as coasting nice and smooth without being in sport mode. spirited driving is a different ball game all together.

Sport mode is fun, you can feel the speed right away, no doubt about that. One of the thing I like is when making a turn, it's so smooth compare my previous 335. 335 was a good car, but 535 is much better in my opinion.

BMWFAN275
07-27-2012, 06:26 PM
I get the same effect. My guess is that sport mode locks up the torque converter at lower speeds, which enhances engine response and provides engine braking. You will likely notice that at around 5mph, it seems to release suddenly prior to stopping. You don"t get that effect in normal mode.

BTW, I adore sport mode, gives me all the power I need and it just feels like a jet engine moving the car.

Oceans10
07-27-2012, 07:47 PM
I get the same effect. My guess is that sport mode locks up the torque converter at lower speeds, which enhances engine response and provides engine braking. You will likely notice that at around 5mph, it seems to release suddenly prior to stopping. You don"t get that effect in normal mode.

BTW, I adore sport mode, gives me all the power I need and it just feels like a jet engine moving the car.

Exactly. I bet that is what the OP is experiencing. In Sport mode the tranny downshifts more aggressively and keeps the lower gear engaged. When you let off the gas this causes the car to slow down because the gear is engaged. In regular D the gear is higher and there is less resistance.

I just drove home from JFK and experimented with this a bit. Of course I spent most of the time on the gas pedal, pulling through traffic slalom style. But I did notice the pronounced deceleration in Sport mode when you come off the gas, all due to the transmission selecting lower gears (so it is ready to pounce.)

burnie35
07-28-2012, 11:54 AM
... (so it is ready to pounce.)

I love that phrase ... and having a car that will do it! :)