PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Battery Power

eddywollongong
07-27-2012, 03:38 AM
We have a 2009 525i. It constantly loses the time & date and on start-up displays a loss of active Power Steering message error. As soon as we drive out of the garage and travel only 200 metres down the street, the power steering becomes active again. The local BMW chap says we do not drive it enough but we explained even when we drive to Sydney (an hour away) and park the car for an hour or so, the same problem occurs (active steering error). The BMW chap says even that is not enough travelling!!!! He has suggested using a trickle battery charger everyday over night before start-up?? Is this the solution? Surely having to charge our BMW everyday over night is not the practical solution? Any suggestions out in BMW world? Thanks Regards Eddy

MachtSchnell
07-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Use these words in search function, lots of info on this topic. "trickle charger e60" but an hour should be more than enough. Is it the original battery, was it replaced and not programmed?

Gilgorm
07-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Also agree with "Is it the original battery?" Your problems are early indicators of impending battery failure. Trickle charger will help but your battery is probably due to be changed. I used a charger for a few months but the battery still failed. Your car shuts off non-essential items to conserve power for start-up. Time/date are first to go. Low mileage cars suffer the most if something in the car fails to 'go to sleep' after approximately 15-20 minutes.

dfresco
07-27-2012, 01:01 PM
I changed my battery and everything powered up nice..I had the same time/date reset problem
Change the battery
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App

eddywollongong
07-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks all for your replies. Firstly, yes it's still the original battery. I have now been told that it's because the car is not used enough and is programmed for long distance and I need a heavy duty battery and a software update to Programme short distance. Cost is around $1300. Is this the right way to go since its only driven daily for about 30 minutes and once a week for an hour or do? Thanks again for your advice guys. Eddy

HPIA4v2
07-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks all for your replies. Firstly, yes it's still the original battery. I have now been told that it's because the car is not used enough and is programmed for long distance and I need a heavy duty battery and a software update to Programme short distance. Cost is around $1300. Is this the right way to go since its only driven daily for about 30 minutes and once a week for an hour or do? Thanks again for your advice guys. Eddy
Holly mackerel, we thought US dealer is bad.
$1300 AUS, for S/W update and battery replacement, wow.

Mac Hadley
07-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Last month I paid just a little more than $500 for the new battery, and the reprogramming...price seems awfully high.

MachtSchnell
07-27-2012, 06:33 PM

Common issue, if you drive short distances at low speeds you need to manage you battery with a tender. By the age of your car and it being the original battery with those issues you will probably need to replace it. Find a good Indy shop if out of warranty.

eddywollongong
07-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks Guys. Great to have you all giving me some cold hard facts. I'll check out pricing on the battery & query the pricing on S/W update work. Again thanks. I'll go & get this battery changed during the week. Have a good weekend & week too. Regards Eddy

Gilgorm
07-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I've never heard of programming for short distance. Seems like BS to get more money out of you. Price seems double the normal high price to change battery and register it. Is the car still under warranty? My battery was replaced in the last week of my 4 yr. OEM warranty for free.
Your call.

Mac Hadley
07-28-2012, 11:29 AM
The purpose of programming (registering) the battery is to let the alternator know that it is interacting with a new battery. Not sure as to the specifics, but I think the alternator would not work as hard with a newer battery.
If I don't take any trips of 30 minutes or more weekly, I use the battery tender once a week or every 10 days.

tiger16
07-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Not sure if there any differences in your warranty between Australia and the U.S. but the battery is covered under the four year warranty here.:thumbup:

eddywollongong
07-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Hey that's great advice guys. I'll check but i know the car is still under warranty so maybe the advice you guys are giving is spot on. I now have information to go back and challenge at the very least. I may also check with another BMW centre to check the credibility of this fellows quote and technical assessment. Thanks again. Ed

Phoenix1
07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Hey that's great advice guys. I'll check but i know the car is still under warranty so maybe the advice you guys are giving is spot on. I now have information to go back and challenge at the very least. I may also check with another BMW centre to check the credibility of this fellows quote and technical assessment. Thanks again. Ed

I had a very good relationship with my dealer and they replaced mine under warranty