PDA

View Full Version : new car question

Stonehauler
07-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I will be picking up my new carbon black F10 in about a week. For my current car, I use a 5 step process about 2x a year...
Dawn wash
Clay
Mother's step 1 cleaner
Mother's step 2 sealer
Mother's carnuba wax....this is done about once every 2-3 months. Car is garage kept and I only drive once every 3-4 days or less.

Regular washes about once every 2w eeks depending on how much I drive and if it's dirty or not.

Will this be sufficient for my new car?

Also, my brother screwed up his finish....his son "waxed" the car for fathers day with turtle wax and now it's all hazy. He has a dark blue color...maybe something similar to imperial blue...He's tried microfiber cloths, buffers, etc and nothing can get it off. I loaned him my kit and told him to do the above (minus the clay portion). Is there something else he might need to do? He's not all that big into keeping the car showroom new (the inside is trashed everytime he hauls the kids), but he's a little bit embarrassed about it. This was his dream car and I want to help him make it right.

dpritchett
07-27-2012, 01:19 PM
With a new car, I'd skip the Dawn wash, since you are claying. Dawn springs from Zaino, which recomends a one-time only wash with Dawn to remove other products before using Zaino. Dawn is not a product you would want or need to use on your car two or more times a year.

I think your suggestion for the haze is good though .. but he might as well go ahead an clay too. Just remember if you drop the clay bar, its toast! Don't pick it up and keep using it if its hit the ground.

dboy11
07-27-2012, 04:13 PM
I will be picking up my new carbon black F10 in about a week. For my current car, I use a 5 step process about 2x a year...
Dawn wash
Clay
Mother's step 1 cleaner
Mother's step 2 sealer
Mother's carnuba wax....this is done about once every 2-3 months. Car is garage kept and I only drive once every 3-4 days or less.

Regular washes about once every 2w eeks depending on how much I drive and if it's dirty or not.

Will this be sufficient for my new car?

Also, my brother screwed up his finish....his son "waxed" the car for fathers day with turtle wax and now it's all hazy. He has a dark blue color...maybe something similar to imperial blue...He's tried microfiber cloths, buffers, etc and nothing can get it off. I loaned him my kit and told him to do the above (minus the clay portion). Is there something else he might need to do? He's not all that big into keeping the car showroom new (the inside is trashed everytime he hauls the kids), but he's a little bit embarrassed about it. This was his dream car and I want to help him make it right.

On your car you're mile ahead of most people when it comes to keeping the car protected. Only thing I would suggest is drop the Dawn soap and use only a good car was soap, dish soap removes oils and grease by design and over time is not good on the cars rubber and seals.

On your brother car, two things, after washing the car again with car soap. Clay the car then use a paint cleaner this should lift any hazing and product on the car. Then seal with the mothers product

All this said there are a lot better products on the market than Mothers if your interested would be happy to make some suggestions.

Stonehauler
07-27-2012, 04:46 PM
All this said there are a lot better products on the market than Mothers if your interested would be happy to make some suggestions.

I would appreciate it. I don't mind any suggestions. I don't need to keep my car showroom new, just looking good.

dboy11
07-27-2012, 05:14 PM
I would appreciate it. I don't mind any suggestions. I don't need to keep my car showroom new, just looking good.

My go to for the part time detailing biz I have is Poorboys World, all of his polishes, sealants and waxes are very easy to use and won't break the bank

I use his polish with sealant added to it. It's a great one step product that can be used by hand or machine.

Blackfire, Wolfgang, P21s are also very good brands that are leaps above the mother product.

chris328
08-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Just remember if you drop the clay bar, its toast! Don't pick it up and keep using it if its hit the ground.

I've dropped the clay bar before, all you have to do is wipe off any crap that got onto it the best you can and fold/knead it, keep an eye so that nothing comes through. Never had a problem. :dunno:

TOGWT
08-04-2012, 02:15 AM
On your car you're mile ahead of most people when it comes to keeping the car protected. Only thing I would suggest is drop the Dawn soap and use only a good car was soap, dish soap removes oils and grease by design and over time is not good on the cars rubber and seals.

On your brother car, two things, after washing the car again with car soap. Clay the car then use a paint cleaner this should lift any hazing and product on the car. Then seal with the mothers product

Some sound advice here...

phil@detailersdomain.com
08-05-2012, 08:19 AM
I would also suggest not using dawn. I would also suggest that you throw out the clay bar if you drop it. Trying to save $20 or scratching your car?