PDA

View Full Version : 2013 BMW M6 Review - Plenty of Power and Weight - But Does it Matter?

tim330i
07-27-2012, 04:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyzCeB8jaUY

Ignition's Carlos Lago provide us with a well put together video review of the 2013 BMW M6 convertible. Having driven the M6 Convertible (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622798) I agree with much of his assessment of the all new M6 convertible, up to a point. Yes the M6 convertible weights in at 4500lbs but it is a big car and more importantly it does not drive like it.

Mr. Lago misses this point entirely, instead acting as if BMW intentionally made the M6 heavier just to see if they could master the "engineering exercise" of also making it handle well. Weight is considered the enemy of performance but the M6 rockets from 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and has a near perfect 50.9/49.1% weight distribution. If you can make a grand touring car that has all the comfort and technology you could ever want while providing more performance then you can use on the street does the weight really matter?

I for one argue that it does not. The M6 is not a race car, it is a grand touring machine that is as much about style as it is performance and gives the driver generous helping of both. What do you think, does the weight of the M6 matter if it goes like hell?

Kozmo10
07-27-2012, 04:55 PM
I couldn't agree more. Well said.

jettie1767
07-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Well said!

ProRail
07-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Have read the comments. Not sure what these folks are agreeing with, but 6ers are cars you either love or think they are a silly waste of resources. Personally. I would love to have one if there were no smarter choices. They are lovely cars.

pablo645
07-30-2012, 09:20 AM
"Lately all the Germans want to do is make their own interpritation of the chevy corvette" Huh? Apparently Mr Largo don't know the heritage of the 6 series. The 6 have always had a long body style and the hood was so much more longer than any other BMW line up. One of the reasons' the 6 back in the day was known as "the shark". This is not a Chevy copy based on the new 6 design but more like BMW maintaining then 6 series heritage. Recently drove a new Corvette C6 and even though it was fun to drive, the craftmanship that goes into the interior is lacking. The 6 has more attention to detail inside and out. Just my opinion.

Dave 330i
07-30-2012, 10:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyzCeB8jaUY

Ignition's Carlos Lago provide us with a well put together video review of the 2013 BMW M6 convertible. Having driven the M6 Convertible (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622798) I agree with much of his assessment of the all new M6 convertible, up to a point. Yes the M6 convertible weights in at 4500lbs but it is a big car and more importantly it does not drive like it.

Mr. Lago misses this point entirely, instead acting as if BMW intentionally made the M6 heavier just to see if they could master the "engineering exercise" of also making it handle well. Weight is considered the enemy of performance but the M6 rockets from 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and has a near perfect 50.9/49.1% weight distribution. If you can make a grand touring car that has all the comfort and technology you could ever want while providing more performance then you can use on the street does the weight really matter?

I for one argue that it does not. The M6 is not a race car, it is a grand touring machine that is as much about style as it is performance and gives the driver generous helping of both. What do you think, does the weight of the M6 matter if it goes like hell?

Wait, did I miss out? He only mentioned weight once, at the beginning, and I had the feeling he meant BMW did nothing about it. Otherwise, he would have said something about weight reduction items, which he did not. Yes, this M6 is a powerful with no character cruiser. MZB make similar powerful cruisers as well. BMW series of cars have lost their identity and "heritage". It used to be if you want to be sporty car you get a 3, a 5 for the family, a 6 for an older gentleman, a 7 for the CEO, and now the 1 is replacing where the was because 3 has gotten grossly larger and more expensive. The series of cars are overlapping. A 6 with 4 doors and a 3 liter twin turbo to which BMW calls it the 640i gran coupe for up to $102K, how awful. I rather drive a bruiser that has character. Anything less than a Porsche Turbo is not for me. It too is getting softer and it is for the ones who drive around to show it off. The only Porsche that has character now is the GT3 RS. :D

ProRail
07-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Just by reading the headline I knew this was a Tim Jones commentary.