PDA

View Full Version : will the X1 have Sport Mode?

bimmerized
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Will the X1 have the Sport Mode like the F30? Seeing that the 28i has EcoPro, I thought it might have Sport as well.

I believe the mode in the F30 influences transmission as well as steering boost. Not sure about throttle response. Anyone know?

If unlike the F30, will the transmission at least have a Sport mode like in the past? 6spd or 8 spd?

the_fox
07-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I believe the 35i will have the E9x 6AT which does have sport mode. The 28i has the new 8AT which can also be manually shifted, but not sure if it's got a sport mode...

investor27
07-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Yes it does. Sports Mode will also increase the pedal response.

xbeemer
07-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Will the Sport mode be controlled a button on the gear stick to change between modes, or a button on the dash?
I've seen on some new X1 brochures that the ECO Pro mode button will be below the centre dash.

iamthewalrus
07-28-2012, 08:34 AM
I always find these "sport mode" options kind of funny. It's really just transmission and throttle reprogramming. With a manual transmission, you can have "sport mode" any time you want. Just choose when you want to shift! So many of these (expensive) options are just compensating for the fact that computers aren't as precise at knowing what you want than your own brain is.
OK, back to the topic. Will the X1 come with "Sport Mode"?

bimmerized
07-28-2012, 09:46 AM
after some thought, I think the X1 will have the traditional Sport mode on the transmission, regardless of 6 or 8 spd. However it wont have the Sport Mode as in the F30. In the F30, there is a button which changes steering boost and throttle mapping as well as the transmission. In the F30, the tranmission can be put in Sport independent of the steering and throttle with the gear lever, but I don't think you can put it into Sport steering and throttle without the transmission being put into Sport as well.

Now back to the X1, since the Sdrive has EPS, technically it can be equipped with the Sport Mode as in the F30, but I highly doubt it will be implemented. Even if the cost is mimimal, I don't think BMW would want to differentiate (give an edge to) the Sdrive from the Xdrive. I believe the Eco Pro Mode in the 28i will be a button on the lower center counsel as mentioned. I highly doubt that it will default into this mode, and I surely do hope not.

stary
07-28-2012, 05:34 PM
From the Standard Features page: "8-speed steptronic automatic transmission with Sport and Manual shift modes and Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC)"

so it has some kind of "Sport Mode"

investor27
07-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Sports mode are actual map programming of the throttle responses and can include other components like the suspension setup and steering column. Shifting down to a lower gear on a stick shift does not increase the throttle sensitivity, tightening the steering column or lowers the suspension.

I always find these "sport mode" options kind of funny. It's really just transmission and throttle reprogramming. With a manual transmission, you can have "sport mode" any time you want. Just choose when you want to shift! So many of these (expensive) options are just compensating for the fact that computers aren't as precise at knowing what you want than your own brain is.
OK, back to the topic. Will the X1 come with "Sport Mode"?

iamthewalrus
07-30-2012, 06:38 PM
True, Investor27, but the X1 is unlikely to have one of those adjustable suspensions or steering systems. So the option translates to a more sensitive gas pedal and the ability to hold gears longer. My point is that a manual is a much cheaper way of achieving most of the benefits in the X1. Now, on the S4 with the magnetic suspension option, it's a different story.