PDA

View Full Version : RhinoRamps 12,000 lb for self service!

aungmaw
07-28-2012, 04:51 AM
I got this Rhino ramps for DIY oil change on 2008 550i sports and I realized that bottom of the bumper was colliding with ramp. If I force pushing, it might damage the bumper. Anyone had similar experience?

seemyad
07-28-2012, 05:18 AM
I got this Rhino ramps for DIY oil change on 2008 550i sports and I realized that bottom of the bumper was colliding with ramp. If I force pushing, it might damage the bumper. Anyone had similar experience?

I have the same ramps. No problems. I have an 02 530i with Sport package. I only get an inch clearance but that is enough.

You may consider placing 2X4 boards in front of the ramps. Drive on top of the boards to clear the ramps.

EDIT: I meat to say "2X14 or whatever your tire width is plus a couple of inches". Better yet, measure the full width of the Rhino Ramps and go with that.

aungmaw
07-28-2012, 05:39 AM
@seemyad, Thank you! In my case it needs about an inch of clearance. 2x4 board sounds good..

Dishoom
07-28-2012, 06:33 AM

I've experienced the same thing on my 2008 550i sport...I need to buy some boards too.

seemyad
07-28-2012, 12:24 PM
@seemyad, Thank you! In my case it needs about an inch of clearance. 2x4 board sounds good..

Glad to help.

Also, I meant to say 2X14 or whatever the width of your tire is plus two inches. At a minimum, get boards that are as wide as the Rhino Ramps.

Also, have the edge cut at an angle (45 degrees or so) so that the edge of the board that your tires first hit are angled somewhat like the Rhino Ramps.

The boards do not have to be long. Four or five inches long with the first inch angled up should due.

You might also consider cutting an angle on the edge that is against the Rhino Ramps. My only concern with that is that edge may crack under the weight of the car. So that is up to you.

If you have issues with the boards or ramps sliding away as you try to drive up I think I have a two board solution.

Board 1.
Width = width of the Rhino Ramps (RR).
Length = length of RR plus eight inches.
Leading edge cut at 45 degree angle.

Board 2.
Width = width of the RR.
Length = five inches.
Leading edge cut at 45 degree angle.

Mount the RR on top of B1 with the the back of the RR flush (even) with the back of B1.

Mount B2 on top of B1 in front of the RR.

The 45 degree angle edge of B1 and B2 should face your vehicle. You should have three or so inches or so between the top front edge of B1 and the bottom front edge of B2 to allow your tires a stepped transition up the boards.

NOTE:

If you cut the 45 degree angle on both boards you may wish to make B1 9" longer than the RR as you will lose an inch on top of B1 due to the angle.

SAFETY:

Also suggest getting a long mirror at Target or Walmart (doesn't matter where). Lean the mirror against the wall (long way not tall) in such a way you can see the side of your tire and ramps as you drive up. Place another mirror (tall direction) on the wall in front of you too if you like to ensure your tire is not hanging over the side of the ramp.

If alone, let someone know you are working on the car that you can check in with if with. Always best to have someone with you whenever you are getting under a vehicle.

Have the proper rated fire extinguisher nearby.

aungmaw
07-31-2012, 06:14 AM
@seemyad, Wow so detailed and very nice approach.

aungmaw
07-31-2012, 06:29 AM
Mount B1 on top of B2 in front of the RR.

How many inches should it overlap between B1 and B2?

legend700
07-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Anybody tried these? The extensions are $30 per set plus $10 shipping.

seemyad
08-01-2012, 01:06 AM
How many inches should it overlap between B1 and B2?

I meant to say mount B2 on top of B1.

B1 = RR + 8" will leave 8" in front of RR

B2 = 5" should leave approx 3" of B1 exposed.

You drive up B1. 3" later you will drive up B2. 5" later you will be driving up the RR.

NOTE:

If you cut the 45 degree angle on both boards you may wish to make B1 9" longer than the RR as you will lose an inch on top of B1 due to the angle.

seemyad
08-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Anybody tried these? The extensions are $30 per set plus $10 shipping.

I've never seen them but I do like them.

I wonder how sturdy they are. Also wonder if they come in the width that fits the Rhino Ramps. Finally I wonder if the Rhino Ramps will slide forward as you drive up.

They look like they may do the trick.