PDA

View Full Version : @@@@ Need help! Massive oil usage.. 5-series.. HEEELP!!

syrus
07-28-2012, 06:13 PM
I have 2006 BMW 530xi with 90k miles on it.. I change the oil (Mobil 1 5W-30) every 7k miles... After driving it for 3,000 it starts using a LOT of oil... Last time I checked it was every 650 miles for 1 quart....

What can it be ? How bad is that? How much for repair approximately? What happens if I just keep putting oil and do nothing??

Thank you!!

UltimateDriving
07-28-2012, 07:15 PM
My previous E60 had the same issue, it was a MY07 525i, and i had to top it off every 1000-1500 KM's or so.
Never found out why it used so much oil, dealer ran some tests and said it was normal, i ended up selling it at the end but it was not due to the oil consumption. :)

TRS550
07-28-2012, 09:05 PM
I have 2006 BMW 530xi with 90k miles on it.. I change the oil (Mobil 1 5W-30) every 7k miles... After driving it for 3,000 it starts using a LOT of oil... Last time I checked it was every 650 miles for 1 quart....

What can it be ? How bad is that? How much for repair approximately? What happens if I just keep putting oil and do nothing??

Thank you!!

Well, it can really only be 1 of 3 things.

1. Either a massive leak, which I would think you would have found via large amounts of oil on the undercarriage of the car. If you haven't already, get under the car and look for signs of an oil leak. Tough to do with the plastic under panels but if you are losing that much oil, some is bound to be visible somehwere under the car if it is a leak.

2. It's going past the rings, or:

3. It's going past the valve guide seals.

Unfortunately, none of those fixes are going to be cheap.

syrus
07-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Well, it can really only be 1 of 3 things.

1. Either a massive leak, which I would think you would have found via large amounts of oil on the undercarriage of the car. If you haven't already, get under the car and look for signs of an oil leak. Tough to do with the plastic under panels but if you are losing that much oil, some is bound to be visible somehwere under the car if it is a leak.

2. It's going past the rings, or:

3. It's going past the valve guide seals.

Unfortunately, none of those fixes are going to be cheap.

Thanks for a reply.. Really dont know what to do now.. The previous guy said that the same thing was checked by a mechanic and no problem was found.... Will check out the oil leaks first... What do u think it might cost me at a local mechanic (not bmw dealer)

aungmaw
07-29-2012, 04:17 AM
Thanks for a reply.. Really dont know what to do now.. The previous guy said that the same thing was checked by a mechanic and no problem was found.... Will check out the oil leaks first... What do u think it might cost me at a local mechanic (not bmw dealer)

If the leak is coming from oil pan, there is a possibility that engine needs to be lifted to seal the leak. Local mechanic should do it for less and $1000, but I remember BMW dealer quoted for $3000.