PDA

View Full Version : ==== > Need advice from a car expert... Pleaseeee

syrus
07-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Hey folks!

I currently have 2006 BMW 530xi with 90k miles (got it at 60k).. I have changed the following stuff already : spark plugs, ignition coils (3 out of 6), thermostat, water pump, radiator, battery, air filters, brakes, front lights... And recently I noticed how much does my bimmer use engine oil (~650 miles for a quart of oil)..

Do you think its about good time to get rid of it or since a lot of stuff has been replaced I should keep it for another year or so?

crowz
07-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Heavy oil consumption can be a sign its time to rebuild the motor or get a new car but it can also be something simple like the CVV/oil separator. Check the CVV/oil separator first before doing anything else and I bet you will solve your oil consumption problem. Youve invested a good bit and your probably almost to the point of being able to drive it for a long time with no issues so hang in there :)

boramkiv
07-28-2012, 07:05 PM
I say keep it. But if your oil filter housing gasket wasn't changed I would do so. You should also look at the valve cover gasket. I was loosing oil until I changed the oil filter housing gasket. It runs down the front of the engine and can mess up the idler pulley. See item 4 and 5 in the link below. Change those along with the valve cover gasket and the oil consumption should decrease. You've changed quite a bit of parts to just let a great car go so soon.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=NF73&mospid=48505&btnr=11_3753&hg=11&fg=30