PDA

View Full Version : Found a used 550. No SAT, is that a deal breaker?

mikeriley
07-29-2012, 08:53 AM
I have done a bit of searching and see that the SAT is a much sought after option. Unfortunatly a 550 if found does not have this option. I would love some opinions on this. Just to let others know, I have no intentions of using the paddles, ever. I know that sounds crazy to some but I dont enjoy it that much. And correct me if im wrong but some previous threads said the throttle would blip on downshifts like the DCT but when i test drove some it did not. was that false info?

What really is the difference in the 2 trans besides physical appearance and paddles? I do love the look of the shifter in the SAT. Is there a software update I could do? Thanks all.

txag_530i
07-29-2012, 11:21 AM
You can retrofit the SAT.

http://forums.5series.net/topic/55056-sportautomatic-sat-retrofit/

mikeriley
07-29-2012, 02:26 PM
You can retrofit the SAT.

http://forums.5series.net/topic/55056-sportautomatic-sat-retrofit/

thank you, I just found that. Any one have any experience with that? Any experience in getting the dealer to agree to update the software?

legend700
07-29-2012, 03:51 PM
SAT by itself does not include paddles. They are optional.

TRS550
07-29-2012, 05:02 PM
All depends on what you want.

For me, no 3rd pedal is a deal breaker.

NoQuarter
07-29-2012, 08:32 PM
thank you, I just found that. Any one have any experience with that? Any experience in getting the dealer to agree to update the software?

retrofitting the SAT without the paddles is pretty easy - it is what I have done. No idea if your dealer will do the software - just ask them.

Smokey550i
07-30-2012, 04:15 AM
Never even considered putting SAT on my 550 when I ordered her. I did however opt for the iPod/USB port ... I like choosing my own music.

But I wouldn't have bought her without the sport pkg and paddles - makes me happy everytime I'm driving the car.

mikeriley
07-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Never even considered putting SAT on my 550 when I ordered her. I did however opt for the iPod/USB port ... I like choosing my own music.

But I wouldn't have bought her without the sport pkg and paddles - makes me happy everytime I'm driving the car.

What u said makes no sense.

Quarter, care to expand on ur process?

legend700
07-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Forgot to mention, that paddles give you quick, sequential downshifts even in full automatic mode and resume original gear when sensing end of maneuver like passing on highway, downhill deceleration, etc. Works in normal and sport mode.

boramkiv
07-30-2012, 08:36 AM

Sport auto tranny vice Satellite radio.

NoQuarter
07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Quarter, care to expand on ur process?

Check out the linky in my signature!

jim165
07-30-2012, 03:37 PM
SAT by itself does not include paddles. They are optional.

Wait, wait, wait...I always thought that SAT+Paddles was a package deal? i didn't think you could get one without the other!?! I've yet to see one like that...

Something tells me you have SAT and you don't even realize it, LOL...
I could be mistaken, though:eeps:

legend700
07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Wait, wait, wait...I always thought that SAT+Paddles was a package deal? i didn't think you could get one without the other!?! I've yet to see one like that...
I'll take it back. Option 2TB on my invoice reads "SportAutomatic Transmission w/Shift Paddles -$500".:thumbup:

WJGreer
07-30-2012, 04:23 PM
If a 550 had everything I wanted except the SAT, I'd probably still buy it, even setting aside the prospect of upgrading. The car will be fast as stink either way.

mikeriley
07-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks Quarter, i know i can handle the hardware part but you lose me at the programing stuff. How do you talk to a dealer and get them to understand this stuff and agree to it?

NoQuarter
07-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks Quarter, i know i can handle the hardware part but you lose me at the programing stuff. How do you talk to a dealer and get them to understand this stuff and agree to it?

This what the dealer will have to do:
1) Update the Vehicle Order (VO). The VO will be updated to remove the existing transmission controller and add the 2TB option code.

2) Reflash the software on the module as I mentioned in the post to change it to SAT specific firmware

3) Code the entire car. This means their coding software looks at the VO which itemizes what hardware/software features are available then it goes through the computer modules one at a time updating the software on each of them. Some option codes require changes in multiple modules.