PDA

View Full Version : Are our 5 serious really buggy?

Gregzou
07-29-2012, 06:05 PM
I know bmws are not as reliable as Lexus or other Japanese cars but static wise, how much is the difference? Anyone knows?

tiger16
07-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Four years on my 528i. No problems so far.

Kamdog
07-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Four and three quarters on mine, little down time. Nothing unexpected in 55K miles.

churchill
07-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Bought a used 07 525i in 2009 with 56k and now have 75k on it, no issues, best car I've owned!

Jashley73
07-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Bought our 08' 528i last year with 50k on the clock. We've put just a notch under 25k miles on it in a year. Just an aging battery and oil changes and it keeps on running. I'd say it hasn't been "buggy" at all. We love it, and would buy another in a heart-beat...

ChrisTO
07-29-2012, 10:34 PM
MY 07...but built in 06...no issues thus far. like yourself i've always been fearful of issues such as with the idrive. there have been a few scares where idrive doesn't boot properly but eventually it did. nothing outside of regular service thus far. 99,000km+ on it so far.

luxcar
07-30-2012, 09:24 AM
I had few problems with my car but after they were fixed it is holding up pretty well. The service manager at dealer told me that e60 is a reliable car.

boramkiv
07-30-2012, 09:31 AM
I would say overall the E60 is a reliable car. I have no evidence to back that up, but based on the way mine has treated me a little over 3 years I feel I can speak for all!:D

johnnykuz@zoomi
07-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Bought my '09 535i X Drive w/ 24,000 miles on it and am now at 48,000 miles. No issues at all. I think that the reliability of these cars is excellent. Like any other car, if you follow the maintenance schedule, you'll have no issues.

At one point, my dealer called me and asked me to bring it in for some recall work. Turns out they replaced the HPFP & 4 out of 6 injectors. That was absolutely outstanding.

Been driving BMW's on & off since 1975 and would never hesitate to get another. I've had Acuras and Lexus' in the past and never found them to be any more reliable. In some cases, they've been worse.

Gregzou
07-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Wow! Amazing! Thanks to all replies! Cuz I have heard all these German cars are buggy rumors, and really worried about it. But I am now feel much more confident! Would love to share my story after driving my 535i longer time.
For now, this car had 28k on it( I bought it with 25k) according to the record, only a bulb got replaced. And the leather seat need some stitches, that's it:)

johnnykuz@zoomi
07-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Wow! Amazing! Thanks to all replies! Cuz I have heard all these German cars are buggy rumors, and really worried about it. But I am now feel much more confident! Would love to share my story after driving my 535i longer time.
For now, this car had 28k on it( I bought it with 25k) according to the record, only a bulb got replaced. And the leather seat need some stitches, that's it:)

Bought mine as a CPO back in Jan '11. It had 24,057 miles on it and was a 24 month lease turn in. Since it was my work vehicle I then put an additional 24,000 miles on it by Oct' 11. I'm currently within 5 months and <1500 miles to go until factory warranty expiration so I had it in today for a thorough check. They managed to push through a low mileage oil service at no charge (I was 4500 miles short of the needed oil service under the maint program), replaced the micro filter, standard scope, verified the good condition of my pads and rotors (which I was concerned about), and checked and initialized various electrical systems on the car, Checked & adjusted tire pressures all around, and thoroughly washed and vacuumed the car. At the end, it was $0 and I was a happy customer.

Granted when they do break, they're expensive to repair but in general they're good solid cars that provide miles & miles of smiles. People who rag on BMWs and tell us how they love their Japanese cars, good for them, been there, done that, nice cars and I was happy with them in general. But they are not the same as a real BMW which they all seem to shoot for in terms of the cars they build. There is a fun factor with a BMW that most Japanese owners don't get. You need to really drive one to understand

I had an '08 335Xi before this 5 and got hooked on that N54 twin turbo engine. These cars are rockets. My friends with Maximas love to brag about their 300hp sedans but these guys don't even understand torque. HP is a measure of work over time, but torque is the seat of your pants power that you can really feel and translate to the road, here....& now. They don't understand the inherent smoothness of an inline 6 vs the inherent "imbalance" of a V6, that their engines need balancers on the crankshaft, etc to even out vibrations caused by the pistons pushing down at different angles on the crank. There is nothing more satisfying than cranking out a BMW engine to redline (4 or 6, I've had both).

No marque is without warts in some way but these cars offer so much fun for the money, they're impossible to resist once you've driven one.

toxic_bimmer
07-31-2012, 03:10 AM
On average, basing solely on my personal experience, yes, you will definitely visit service center much more often with BMW than, say, with Lexus. BUT, they are so much more fun to drive, and most of the problems they tend to develop are different electronic ones but not so many mechanical.