PDA

View Full Version : LEAKS!!! 04 525i / 77k miles

vincespiri2
07-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey guys so I just got my oil change done today at the dealership and i am told that i have 3 leaks! oil filter is leaking ($750) / transmission sleeve is leaking ($850) / oil pan gasket is starting to leak ($1400). estimated cost is $3000. I asked what was the most important thing to fix first and its the transmission. I'm going to get it fixed but any recommendations? i live in the Bay Area. Thanks!

txag_530i
08-01-2012, 08:30 AM
If you have the skill set then you can repair these things yourself.

Here's a DIY on the transmission fluid change procedure. It includes instructions on changing out the Mechtronics sleeve.

http://forums.5series.net/topic/88129-diy-zf-6hp19z-transmission-drain-refill/

The transmission supplies can be ordered from here: http://www.thectsc.com/

The oil filter housing gaskets are leaking. The parts are about $30. The DIY procedure is here: Oil filter housing gaskets (http://forums.5series.net/topic/113877-oil-filter-housing-gaskets-replacement/page__p__1348584__fromsearch__1#entry1348584)

Take a look at the oil pan gasket and see how bad it is leaking. If it isn't much, and you aren't adding a ton of oil to the car then I'd leave it be. I have a small leak as well, but I haven't taken the time to fix it. I am fairly certain that the subframe has to be lowered and/or the engine raised in order to drop the oil pan.

CarGuyHere
11-22-2012, 11:40 AM
I just got the same $800 quote for the tranny leak!! :mad:

Ddi you end up doing it?

How much does it leak?

I have no drops in my driveway.

What happens when the fluid gets low, does an idiot light go on? or does the trannsmission blow up!

schpenxel
11-22-2012, 12:22 PM
You need to get transmission sealed up first. There's no easy way to check how much fluid you have, it was designed to be a sealed system.

I don't think there's an idiot light. If there is I bet it doesn't kick in until you're really low.. Not worth the risk. The engine leaks are probably not a big deal. It's easy enough to keep an eye on engine oil level and add as needed

karlallen90
11-22-2012, 07:41 PM
What trans is in the 525i? I'm currently about to do a flush and was looking for a kit like the one in the link posted but I don't know which one to buy.

schpenxel
11-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Should be 6HP19

Email the help at thectsc.com and they can confirm though if you want to be 100% sure

dolfan13
11-23-2012, 08:19 AM
The transmission for 800$ would include a filter-pan and fluid change service.Proper fluid change on these takes a few hours.So 800$ is about right,not too high.

CarGuyHere
11-23-2012, 12:52 PM
What does it cost to do a transmission oil change in a chevy or ford??

I thought it was around $200.00

BMW gasket a few bucks more, but why is 4 times the price??

Or am I missiing something??

schpenxel
11-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Can't change the oil pan gasket by itself as far as I know, and I'm sure you can't change just the filter, as the filter is built into the oil pan.

Also, it's the mechatronic seal leaking.. I don't think you've replaced one of those on a GM or ford recently ;)

$800 isn't too crazy--you'll be in about $250 just for the new pan & oil, then some more for new pan bolts (recommended anyways) and the mechatronics sleeve, and it will take about 2-3 hours to change if you have all the tools. The mechatronics sleeve, at least on the 6HP26's is a ROYAL pain to get to. You have to remove part of the mount at the rear of the transmission to get enough room to squeeze it out

So, I guess $800 isn't a great deal, but it's not a bad price either for the work involved. Plenty of shops have charged a LOT more for the same job. Actually a dealership quoted the previous owner of my car $1500 just to change the mechatronics sleeve a few months back.

CarGuyHere
11-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Can't change the oil pan gasket by itself as far as I know, and I'm sure you can't change just the filter, as the filter is built into the oil pan.

Also, it's the mechatronic seal leaking.. I don't think you've replaced one of those on a GM or ford recently ;)

$800 isn't too crazy--you'll be in about $250 just for the new pan & oil, then some more for new pan bolts (recommended anyways) and the mechatronics sleeve, and it will take about 2-3 hours to change if you have all the tools. The mechatronics sleeve, at least on the 6HP26's is a ROYAL pain to get to. You have to remove part of the mount at the rear of the transmission to get enough room to squeeze it out

So, I guess $800 isn't a great deal, but it's not a bad price either for the work involved. Plenty of shops have charged a LOT more for the same job. Actually a dealership quoted the previous owner of my car $1500 just to change the mechatronics sleeve a few months back.

WOW!! THanks for the detailed description, I don't feel as ripped off right now. Why does the mechatronic seal leak? I see many people have the same issue, car is only 4 years old with 45,000 miles. How bad does it leak? (usually) how long can I delay fixing it? How long does the new one last? Is there a better one that last longer?

P.S. I also had to do my thurst rod bushings, they were "torn", and that was another $600 (had to that, was in for an alignment, the rear tires were trashed, inside edge of both rears was worn done of a 45 deg angle to the wires! and the rest of the tread was nice a flat, really strange!) And never felt anything loose, or any clunks or anything to indicate there was an issue.