PDA

View Full Version : Inner excessive wear run flat tire, X1 2012

Sylvain1691
08-01-2012, 12:44 PM
I have a BMW X1 2012 since November 2011 and at 21 000 km, I have to change the front tires because of inner excessive wear of the front tire.
The dealer say it is normal. In fact it is not normal. Now the noise of the front tires is so big, I do not listen to the radio any more.

One mechanic told me it is a alignment problem but apparently the camber is not adjustable.
I will have to install a camber kit or install non run flat tire and call a toe truck if I have a flat tire.
If I do not fix this problem, I will sell the car and never have a BMW in my life.

Is there someone with a suggestion ?

bimmerized
08-01-2012, 01:36 PM
have the alignment checked first. The Toe parameter affects wear more than camber. Have the Toe corrected and the fast wear should be solved. If the wear remains uneven, though slower, then have the camber corrected too. I'd be surprised if the front camber cannot be adjusted. If it's at the maximum of adjustment, you can find camber kits in the aftermarket, but there should be no reason why you can't align it to factory specifications. If you can't that problem should be covered under warranty.

speedracerf4i
08-01-2012, 01:39 PM
I have a BMW X1 2012 since November 2011 and at 21 000 km, I have to change the front tires because of inner excessive wear of the front tire.
The dealer say it is normal. In fact it is not normal. Now the noise of the front tires is so big, I do not listen to the radio any more.

One mechanic told me it is a alignment problem but apparently the camber is not adjustable.
I will have to install a camber kit or install non run flat tire and call a toe truck if I have a flat tire.
If I do not fix this problem, I will sell the car and never have a BMW in my life.

Is there someone with a suggestion ?

This happened to all my BMW's. It's the alignment spec that BMW specifies that's causing this inner tire wear. I did an alignment on my 545i at the dealer 3 months ago ($245) and the tech asked me if I wanted a setting that preserves the tire better or BMW's more aggressive setting. I opted for economy setting. The car will loose some of the high-speed stability and I can feel the rear-end skipping out a little on the turns. I then took it back to the dealer for original BMW alignment specs. The dealer gave me a break and charged me $150 to revert back to the original specs.

bimmerized
08-01-2012, 05:34 PM
this agrees with my observations as well. BMWs are very sensitive to small changes in toe and the factory specifications are slightly agressive in toe for stability at the expense of tire wear. I like less toe, especially in rear. Less toe in front can make the car twitchy on center and more less toe in rear can help oversteer the car.

BMW alignment specs are likely only applicable to the factory environment in which they are originally aligned because the specs require you to fully load the car with weight before an alignment. If you don't which most places including the dealer wont, the alignment will be too agressive for a partial load.

Sylvain1691
08-14-2012, 12:57 PM
If I install non run flat tires, does it solve the problem of inner wear ? I am asking that because I think the combination of run flat tires and aggressive BMW alignment settings makes it impossible to have a uniform wear of front tires. Is my thinking wrong or what ?

bimmerized
08-15-2012, 08:13 AM
no, RFT do not wear appreciably more than regular tires. your problem is with the alignment or the tire compound. Higher preformance tires have softer compounds that wear faster. Try a tire with a higher treadwear rating. I would at least have the Toe checked and adjust it to Toe Out as far as the factory spec allows.

How long did the tires last?

Sylvain1691
08-15-2012, 08:45 PM
One year (October to November 2011 and April 2012 to now) 22 000 Km. I have and appointment to check the alignment in 2 weeks. The tires are Goodyear Efficient Grip. If I change the 4 tires, do you have a brand in mind ?