PDA

View Full Version : Winter tires! Sure it's been mentioned before but couldn't find it!

7amadabmw
08-02-2012, 07:47 AM
So I figured I will get a head start in shopping for winter tires for my 2010 535i xdrive. The tires are a must in the northern part or Canada!

Any suggestions? Which ones do you gents use?

Thanks

Bremen Ben
08-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Xdrive? normal all season tires would suffice.

7amadabmw
08-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Xdrive? normal all season tires would suffice.

Yeah I know xdrive will be great but mainly in accelerating. I don't think it will make a difference in braking!

polski7
08-02-2012, 07:49 PM
check out the dunlop winter sport M3 or the new 3D. I have the M3 on my 535i and have survived the bavarian winters.

eagle sailor
08-02-2012, 07:51 PM
545i I have a set of Blizzak and they work great

7amadabmw
08-02-2012, 10:27 PM
545i I have a set of Blizzak and they work great

check out the dunlop winter sport M3 or the new 3D. I have the M3 on my 535i and have survived the bavarian winters.

Cool, I will check those out! Thanks.

HPIA4v2
08-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Cool, I will check those out! Thanks.
Don't want to open yet another xdrive+all_season vs RWD+snow_tires, but if you plan on driving in the snow you owe yourself a set of snow tires. I am using Dunlop D3 on my X5, never get stuck unless we are talking steep incline (30-grade private road leads to my house) on 1-foot fresh snow (more like I am not going to risk ending in the ditch so I park down the street and walk up).

I am going to order a set for my 535i RWD this fall, I'll suggest you look at tirerack web-site for tests and reviews. If still in doubt, Gary@tirerack will steer you to the right tires, he hangs around this forums as sponsor BTW.

Baymar
08-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Agreed on the advantage of snow tires - I have the Nokian Hakkapeliitta (however you would say that!) - no question the car is better off with them than without.

Could not recommend them higher.

kbthut
08-03-2012, 01:18 PM
I've got a set of Blizzaks on Borbet rims for sale. I'll throw pics up this weekend. Search for my thread.

7amadabmw
08-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Don't want to open yet another xdrive+all_season vs RWD+snow_tires, but if you plan on driving in the snow you owe yourself a set of snow tires. I am using Dunlop D3 on my X5, never get stuck unless we are talking steep incline (30-grade private road leads to my house) on 1-foot fresh snow (more like I am not going to risk ending in the ditch so I park down the street and walk up).

I am going to order a set for my 535i RWD this fall, I'll suggest you look at tirerack web-site for tests and reviews. If still in doubt, Gary@tirerack will steer you to the right tires, he hangs around this forums as sponsor BTW.

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked out tirerack and noticed that some tired are labelled as performance snow and others and stud less/snow!

What are performance snow?

7amadabmw
08-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I will go for some tires for sure.

I've got a set of Blizzaks on Borbet rims for sale. I'll throw pics up this weekend. Search for my thread.

How much are you selling them for?

7amadabmw
08-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Do I have to install the TPMS sensors? What will happen if I don't?

Space grau 550i
08-04-2012, 11:24 PM

You will have to deal with the infamous BMW gong, and I drive warning every time you start the car.

bajanjack
08-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I have used Michelin Alpin 3 snow tires on my 2010 535 xdrive and they are terrific. There is a noticeable improvement over all season tires.

kbthut
08-06-2012, 07:19 AM
I have the set listed for $600 on my thread. There's a picture out there as well. Thanks.

HPIA4v2
08-06-2012, 07:54 AM
What are performance snow?

Performance has higher speed rating and have a great selection on wider width and lower profile, if you are getting a new rims go get the 17" and just order non-performance they are as good in the snow.

yes you need TPMS, they are $45 each tire.

7amadabmw
08-07-2012, 04:10 AM
Performance has higher speed rating and have a great selection on wider width and lower profile, if you are getting a new rims go get the 17" and just order non-performance they are as good in the snow.

yes you need TPMS, they are $45 each tire.

Cool thanks for the tips.

Shokubry
08-07-2012, 07:24 PM
My wife has a front wheel drive car with all season tires. Without question, with Blizzaks on the BMW it is much more stable, even with rear wheel drive and turbo. Short of glare ice, I've never felt uncomfortable driving the car with these on it.

PimoX3
08-10-2012, 04:49 PM
check out the dunlop winter sport M3 or the new 3D. I have the M3 on my 535i and have survived the bavarian winters.+1 :thumbup:
With 17" rims and these tires on my 550, I've had no issues through 2 winters in Winnipeg and 1 in Calgary. We have Blizzaks on our X3 and it's virtually unstoppable with the lower power and xDrive.

7amadabmw
08-10-2012, 06:51 PM
+1 :thumbup:
With 17" rims and these tires on my 550, I've had no issues through 2 winters in Winnipeg and 1 in Calgary. We have Blizzaks on our X3 and it's virtually unstoppable with the lower power and xDrive.

Any suggestions for rims? I just want some 17" for the winters.

Phoenix1
08-11-2012, 07:50 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you use your existing rims and change tires every season you don't have to pay for new rims or new TPMS sensors, have mediocre cheap rims on during the winter, have to store heavy rim/wheel combos, then worry about selling them in a few years. Yes, over the long run (3-4 years?) having another set of rims is less money, but it's something to consider.

7amadabmw
08-11-2012, 11:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you use your existing rims and change tires every season you don't have to pay for new rims or new TPMS sensors, have mediocre cheap rims on during the winter, have to store heavy rim/wheel combos, then worry about selling them in a few years. Yes, over the long run (3-4 years?) having another set of rims is less money, but it's something to consider.

I haven't checked yet, but I was told that the 2010 models have the TPMS installed into the ABS. Is the actual valve different? Would I be able to check if my current rims have TPMS in the valve jut by looking at them?

PimoX3
08-13-2012, 10:35 AM
I puchased a used set of 17" Sport Edition A7 rims for winter use. They are inexpensive and not too painful to look at (although I'm always impatient to get my 172's back on in the Spring!). Yes, you will need to add TPMS sensors to avoid the error message all winter ($200 total for all 4 wheels), but to me that's much easier (and cheaper) than having a shop swap off/on tires each season - and it avoids the risk of install damage to your primary rims each time.

If I recall correctly, generally a shop will charge ~$100 to remove/remount tires in Canada (yes, you get this cheaper in the US - don't brag :) ) vs. $25 to swap mounted rims (or free if you do it yourself). So... the TPMS sensors have paid for themselves in 2-3 changeovers. I'd recommend this route, but to each their own.

Good luck!:thumbup:

7amadabmw
08-13-2012, 03:53 PM
I puchased a used set of 17" Sport Edition A7 rims for winter use. They are inexpensive and not too painful to look at (although I'm always impatient to get my 172's back on in the Spring!). Yes, you will need to add TPMS sensors to avoid the error message all winter ($200 total for all 4 wheels), but to me that's much easier (and cheaper) than having a shop swap off/on tires each season - and it avoids the risk of install damage to your primary rims each time.

If I recall correctly, generally a shop will charge ~$100 to remove/remount tires in Canada (yes, you get this cheaper in the US - don't brag :) ) vs. $25 to swap mounted rims (or free if you do it yourself). So... the TPMS sensors have paid for themselves in 2-3 changeovers. I'd recommend this route, but to each their own.

Good luck!:thumbup:

Which TPMS did you buy? Have you heard of Beru? I was told they make them for BMW and much cheaper to buy them

SoLucky
08-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Which TPMS did you buy? Have you heard of Beru? I was told they make them for BMW and much cheaper to buy them

Beru is an OEM supplier to BMW, Porsche, and others. They make good products and they are what I used in my winter wheels. No issues for me.

7amadabmw
08-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Beru is an OEM supplier to BMW, Porsche, and others. They make good products and they are what I used in my winter wheels. No issues for me.

How did you get them to work? Just install them put air in and that's it? Or was programming required?

SoLucky
08-14-2012, 03:05 AM
No programming, they are identical to the BMW part just a different brand name stamped on them.

7amadabmw
08-14-2012, 06:42 AM
No programming, they are identical to the BMW part just a different brand name stamped on them.

Cool so I could just install them myself and put the tire on the rim? Do you have a serial number for them?

SoLucky
08-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Cool so I could just install them myself and put the tire on the rim? Do you have a serial number for them?

Here they are: http://www.huftpms.com/HUF_TPMS_Sensor_RDE008_p/huf.rde008.htm

Note: Beru sold their electronics division to Huf this past January, so the parts may now say Huf on them.

7amadabmw
08-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Here they are: http://www.huftpms.com/HUF_TPMS_Sensor_RDE008_p/huf.rde008.htm

Note: Beru sold their electronics division to Huf this past January, so the parts may now say Huf on them.

Thanks a lot for your help.