PDA

View Full Version : USB Flash Drive Plugin

GirlLuvMyBMW640
08-04-2012, 09:06 PM
So I bought new Sandisk flash drive so I could plug it into the USB slot in the glove compare. I downloaded some music from CD from my iMac on to the flash drive. When I put into the slot and select external Devices front or if I put it the center console where I normally put in my iPhone it tells me no data found. Do I have to format the disk? I am sure I have either done something wrong or have not done something. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Leslierc
08-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Did you check to see if the music was successfully downloaded onto the flash drive? If it did, then there shouldn't be a formatting issue. In my 7 I had a USB slot in the armrest and that's where I connected my iPod. Have you tried connecting your flash drive there? Also, it might be better to use an iPod if you have one...album artwork appears on your information screen when you connect using the white Apple cable.

mjrbimmer335i
08-05-2012, 08:58 AM
I have had this problem as well. When I plug in my iPhone it says that it's unsupported. So I transferred music from iTunes to a flash drive and plug it to the USB in my console. The music is there just not really in the right place it seems and it doesn't play. I'm thinking the music files transferred as the wrong type?..

Speaking of music, my car is an 09 335i and has iDrive. Would it be Sirius/XM capable?

GirlLuvMyBMW640
08-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I spoke to a friend that works at Apple (Tech Guy) He told me that when you copy a CD you need to first copy to iTunes. Once you do that you need to go into iTune preference > General> 3rd section down > "When you insert a CD" you will a drop down menu. Select in menu select "Ask to Import CD". Then open "Import Setting…". Select "MP3 Encoder. Go into Finder select Music find the CD then drag in USB drive. This is all being done on an iMAC. I have no clue whats needed on a PC based computer. I hope this helps. :rolleyes:

mjrbimmer335i
08-05-2012, 11:54 AM
What if it's all purchased from iTunes instead of from a cd?

GirlLuvMyBMW640
08-05-2012, 01:13 PM
I am assuming as long as it's converted into an MP3 format within iTunes it's good to get put on a USB drive and put into the AUX front input. Don't hold me to that. Just attempting to use the logic side of my brain. On a Sunday that can be pretty demanding. So try it at your own risk. Tomorrow logic has to be in play or I better not show up for work!!! :wahwah:

mjrbimmer335i
08-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your help! :)

f01driver
08-10-2012, 05:25 AM
I think the USB stick needs to be formatted in fat32 so a USB stick from a Apple won't work. And some USB sticks for whatever don't work, I've had issues with some of my USB sticks.

GirlLuvMyBMW640
08-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Update: My USB works now that I simply converted the songs to any mp3 format. I could have easily put them on my iPhone but I just wanted to segregate this particular music collection to the USB device. It only has 25 songs and I know exactly where they are without having to search for a playlist in the iPhone. Plus I like to know everything in the car actually works as advertised. :thumbup: