PDA

View Full Version : X1 sdrive and xdrive differences

X1blue
08-07-2012, 12:39 AM
a question for all the mechanics out there: what is the difference between the sdrive and xdrive X1 cars apart from the obvious rear wheel only or four wheel drive. specifically, does the suspension system change in anyway or is it just simply a change in drive power distribution when needed?

X1blue
08-07-2012, 04:09 AM
I have just read that the X1 Sdrive has a MacPherson strut on the front wheels and a Multi-link system on the rear drive wheels.

Can anyone confirm what type of suspension the Xdrive has on the front wheels?

X1blue
08-09-2012, 09:01 AM
The xDrive does indeed have a different front suspension system. Possibly why is vibrates less no motorways at 80km/h+

prosgal73
12-17-2012, 10:42 PM
sdrive or xdrive? can't decide....which would be more reliable down the road and require less maintenance as far as potential problems?

mrbelk
12-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Pretty sure the "sDrive" has electric power steering while the "xDrive" has traditional hydraulic power steering.

-MrB

Ex-One
12-18-2012, 12:02 PM
The above is true. Has to do with available space in engine compartment between the two gear trains.

whitby
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM
sdrive or xdrive? can't decide....which would be more reliable down the road and require less maintenance as far as potential problems?

xDrive is more complex and is thus more likely to break down later in life. Generally, if you do not need 4 wheel drive you should avoid it (increases weight - with increased consumption as a result - is more complex and costs more).

The four wheel drive xDrive uses the same suspension setup as the sDrive (differences in spring rates etc. due to weight and weight distributions) and has hydraulic assisted steering (HAS) as opposed to the electrically assisted steering (EAS) of the sDrive. Which brings us to the purists point that the HAS is better than the EAS and is another reason to choose the xDrive. The HAS is heavier but has more road feel. So it is up to you. If you do not need four wheel drive and do not care about HAS v EAS then go sDrive, if you need 4 wheel drive and/or HAS then xDrive is the way to go.

We chose the xDrive because we will be traveling to places with snow and mud and we like HAS in place of EAS.

prosgal73
12-18-2012, 08:43 PM
thanks for the feedback everyone, happy holidays!

bjbolduc
12-19-2012, 03:34 PM
the hydraulic steering feel on AWD is noticeably better than electric system on rwd but you won't be able to find a RWD in the northeast

SilverX3
12-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Sdrive is a better car

being lighter

arsous
12-21-2012, 08:49 PM
I have the XDrive28i,, I really need the 4 wheel Dr. "IDAHO"

arsous
12-21-2012, 08:58 PM
the hydraulic steering feel on AWD is noticeably better than electric system on rwd but you won't be able to find a RWD in the northeast

Yep,, your right, it just wouldn't sell!!!