BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Alpine White GC

9K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  lhollis3 
#1 ·
Hey Fellas,
May have posted this in the wrong section. I recently joined the 6 club with a AW 640GC when the fiance turned in here 2007 650 Vert. I included a couple of pics, though not great by any means. Got her tinted on Saturday so I'll re-post with some new pictures sometime this week. Here are the options with the car:
- AW Exterior
- Dark Oak Trim
- Black Dakota Leather
- M Sport Package (20" style 373M)
- Luxury Seating Package
- Driver's Assistance Package
- Cold Weather Package
- Full LED headlights
- BMW Apps
- Ceramic Controls

So far it's been a great car. The Turbo 6 is pretty quick.

Lawrence

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Beauty! MSport too...yes?

#4 ·
The 6 is nice. I am definitely feeling the improved gas mileage. I have a 2001 540 and the fiance had the 2007 650 convertible, so I've been driving V8's for a while. The I6 is definitely peppy when you put it in the sport mode and at the same time gas efficient when you need it to be. I love my 8's but with the price of gas I think this was the best move possible. Only time will tell but pretty happy so far. Thanks for the replies guys. I will post some better pictures when I get a chance this week.

Lawrence

#5 ·
So you may have heard yesterday that in the lovely State of California someone at a Chevron Plant feel asleep at the controls. As a result gas prices jumped .35 over night. Their explanation of course is that the supply of "only made for California" blend has been impacted. I am so glad our lovely State Government is stepping in to reign in this problem so the hard working citizens of CA don't pay for someones else's mistake... NOT So even though this is way OT I am glad I bought a 6. I may wake up tomorrow and some other company will F up and I will be paying $8/gallon for gas. What am I gonna do walk 20 miles to my office?

Sorry of my soapbox. Congratulations on your new GC. I have had mine since 7/29/12. I am loving it more and more everyday. I am scheduled for tinting next Tuesday the 14th. My colors are just reversed to yours. GL and enjoy in good health.

#20 ·
I don't see a reason to pay 100k for a 6 cylinder.
Lets say gas is at 4.2 a gallon.
To drive 1000 miles in 640 you need 42 gallons.
To drive 1000 miles in 650 you need 52.3 gallons.
$42 a month for 445hp and 0 to 60 isn't bad at all. At any price per gallon 650 will use 10 extra gallons @ 1000 miles a month.

#7 ·
Tinted

Here is the car with the tint. It's been raining so it's not exactly as clean as I would like it, but I will try to get some pictures after I get the car washed. We almost had the carbon black. I like this car in most colors though..... :)

Thanks for all the nice replies. Been messing around with the ECO PRO mode to see what kind of mileage I can get out of the car. I'll be sure to provide updates of how good it can get....

Lawrence

Attachments

#12 ·
Here is the car with the tint. It's been raining so it's not exactly as clean as I would like it, but I will try to get some pictures after I get the car washed. We almost had the carbon black. I like this car in most colors though..... :)
Just curious what percent tint you opted for? I'm expecting delivery of a 2013 Alpine White 650i Coupe in a week or so; I'm leaning towards either 35% (legal) or 20% (illegal, but doable).

#8 ·
Tinting looks great. Especially on a white car. I see you live Chicago. Do you have a garage to keep you car in? Do you drive the BMW all year round? Us Californians are spoiled as well wusses when it comes to winter. :yikes:

#9 ·
Wow, that tinting against the white paint is really sharp. Congrats! Can't wait to pick ours up.

#11 ·
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately she is going to have to stay outside this winter. Fiance had a 2007 650 vert and starting having issues with it so we decided we would rather have a car under warranty and since she barely drives we will use it as the primary car. This pushed up the new car timeline and at our current place we don't have a garage. We'll be buying a place by next summer, so should only be 1 winter like this. I have a 2001 540IA that I will use much more in the winter. I've got the winter tires on that car so we won't have to use the GC much. With the snow tires on there it almost feels like a truck. If winter is anything like it was last year I may end up using the GC alot, since we rarely got any snow and it was reasonably warm most of the time. Still considering putting some winter rubber on the GC though. We'll see.

#13 ·
I always do 35% tint. It's the perfect balance, IMO. Much darker and I think visibility is hampered at night.

#15 ·
Beautiful! All it needs is a nice set of wheels and it's perfect! Enjoy it in the best of health bro

#19 ·
Tint

Went with the 35%. It was the 2nd lightest tint. With the black interior it makes it look pretty dark most of the time. This is what the tint shop recommended. If you have a white or light color interior you could consider going 1 step darker maybe..... Also, when you roll up the sunshades and close the sunroof shade it will make it darker in the car as well.

#23 · (Edited)
I don't think any 6 is a match for any 8 in terms of that extra smoothness and effortless go. That's not to say that there aren't 6's that handily outperform many 8's. For me, while I intended in getting a 650i GC, I happen to drive the 640i first and then a couple more times, and coming from 8's and a current X50 beast, I can tell you I am pleasantly surprised and quite content with the 6. It wasn't about saving gas although that's a minor added benefit but I felt it was smooth, fast enough and very honestly, this particular 6 feels somewhat like an 8 in terms of never struggling to go. It also has a feel of an 8. Period. Apples to apples of course I would have taken the 650i just for the extra fun. I've owned a Panamera S (8 cyl) and I loved it. My 640i is about the same in terms of performance. That said, the 8 cylinder PCar also got the same mpg that the BMW six gets. That was my biggest surprise.

As others have said, you buy what you like and can afford, as well. I have owned and driven many 5 series. All 550's. when I drove the new F10 535i, I was a bit disappointed. It sounded and felt like a completely different animal than the 550i F10 and my past cars. Not so in the GC. The new N55HP revision has really come very far and is quite impressive. The 535i almost had a tinny sound to it but it very well may have been a bad apple?

On a side note, my car is in service getting the auto stop start disabled or set to remember last setting. I've kind of gotten used to it just a tad. No I don't like it but I think if it truly does save 20%, as I'm told, in gas, it very well may be a useful feature. It does start instantly and goes. It's kind of like coming from a gas engine to electric and we are used to pulling up to a light and still hearing engine. I guess it takes some time to get used to. Sorry to hijack thread, just an added opinion.

One more thing- the stereo. I have premium sound. It's ok. My last premium sounds were far better. I'm almost be tempted to say If you are at all into listening to tunes, someone may be better off spending on the B&O instead of the 8 cylinder if money is an object. Just my 2 cents. A bit disappointed in the premium sound this time around.

#24 ·
I don't think any 6 is a match for any 8 in terms of that extra smoothness and effortless go. That's not to say that there aren't 6's that handily outperform many 8's. For me, while I intended in getting a 650i GC, I happen to drive the 640i first and then a couple more times, and coming from 8's and a current X50 beast, I can tell you I am pleasantly surprised and quite content with the 6. It wasn't about saving gas although that's a minor added benefit but I felt it was smooth, fast enough and very honestly, this particular 6 feels somewhat like an 8 in terms of never struggling to go. It also has a feel of an 8. Period. Apples to apples of course I would have taken the 650i just for the extra fun. I've owned a Panamera S (8 cyl) and I loved it. My 640i is about the same in terms of performance. That said, the 8 cylinder PCar also got the same mpg that the BMW six gets. That was my biggest surprise.

As others have said, you buy what you like and can afford, as well. I have owned and driven many 5 series. All 550's. when I drove the new F10 535i, I was a bit disappointed. It sounded and felt like a completely different animal than the 550i F10 and my past cars. Not so in the GC. The new wN55HP revision has really come very far and is quite impressive. The 535i almost had a tinny sound to it but it very well may have been a bad apple?

On a side note, my car is in service getting the auto stop start disabled or set to remember last setting. I've kind of gotten used to it just a tad. No I don't like it but I think if it truly does save 20%, as I'm told, in gas, it very well may be a useful feature. It does start instantly and goes. It's kind of like coming from a gas engine to electric and we are used to pulling up to a light and still hearing engine. I guess it takes some time to get used to. Sorry to hijack thread, just an added opinion.

One more thing- the stereo. I have premium sound. It's ok. My last premium sounds were far better. I'm almost be tempted to say If you are at all into listening to tunes, someone may be better off spending on the B&O instead of the 8 cylinder if money is an object. Just my 2 cents. A bit disappointed in the premium sound this time around.
I was disappointed in the premium sound in my old f02 750 as well..standard sound system in my Audi q5 sounds better than premium sound in BMW cars.

#27 ·
Paddles. Clear.

We just took re-delivery of our 640i GC after European Delivery. Yea! Kind of a let down to drive stateside. Need to take a road trip to the Rockies, Blue Ridge Mountains or the PCH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.