PDA

View Full Version : M Sport suspension

vic
08-15-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm very close to ordering a new X1, but am having a difficult time deciding on which line to get, if any. Overall, I like the M Sport the most on paper, functionally (performance control, sport seats) and aesthetically (wood trim, black headliner, body-colored moldings). The main concern I have is with the sport suspension. I live in an area with generally bad roads and I'm worried that the M Sport suspension will be too harsh. Then again, maybe the suspension travel is sufficient to mitigate the stiffness.

I would just get the Sport Line, but I really can't stand the aluminum or black trim. The X Line and base model don't have the sport seats I have come to love.

Can anyone comment on the ride quality of the M Sport package? I realize most people in the US won't have direct experience, but maybe some others will.

HotRodW
08-15-2012, 05:11 PM
My M Sport build was completed yesterday, so I should be able to tell you in four to five weeks. In the meantime, keep an eye on local dealer lots. The M Sports probably won't be stocked much, but there are a few dealer orders out there. If you're up for a drive, BMW Greenwich has a Mineral White M Sport in stock. While the bigger wheels look great, I would avoid the 19" wheel option.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=49024&endYear=2013&keywords=M+Sport&modelCode1=X1&startYear=2010&makeCode1=BMW&listingType=new&keywordsfyc=M+Sport&searchRadius=0&listingId=327708880&Log=0

vic
08-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for checking around, but are you sure that's an M Sport? The autotrader ad doesn't reference M Sport, and neither does the dealer's website. The "M" at the end of the exterior color stands for "metallic", I think.

Congrats on the order. It's going to be great!

e39frank
08-15-2012, 07:12 PM
As the X1 is based on the e90 chassis I would assume ride over rough pavement to be jarring.

HotRodW
08-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks for checking around, but are you sure that's an M Sport? The autotrader ad doesn't reference M Sport, and neither does the dealer's website. The "M" at the end of the exterior color stands for "metallic", I think.

Congrats on the order. It's going to be great!

Good point. I just searched "M Sport", and there were four results. I didn't really look at the description. I know the one is legit, because there are pictures (it has the 19" wheel option).

To be completely honest, I am a little concerned about the ride. I drive 30,000 to 35,000 miles per year, and I'll occasionally log eight or ten hours behind the wheel in one stretch, so comfort is very important to me. But I read all the initial reviews, and there was very little criticism. In fact, one of the articles described how comfortable it is, and another pointed out that the M Sport's summer tires were quieter than the base models all-seasons. I can walk away from the deal if I'm not happy with the ride upon delivery, but I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. I also intend to replace the runflats with conventional rubber at the first sign of wear.

vic
08-16-2012, 06:43 PM
After a much longer test drive today, I decided to go with the base suspension. For the type of driving I plan on doing, and with the condition of the local roads, the regular suspension is as firm as I want to go.

There is room for improvement in the handling department that I'm sure the M Sport would address, but I'm going for ride comfort this time.