PDA

View Full Version : Will I need any special gear with this PC random orbital model?

iahawkeye
08-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Hello guys and gals.

I've been doing some research on how to properly care for my new-to-me space gray 328 coupe and I have decided that I need a nice PC random orbital.

Recently I was looking to spend some rewards points and I found this exact model:

http://www.portercable.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=21428

My question is, since this is technically a sander, do I need anything to make this work as a polisher?

Will this even work like the 7424 (or other commonly recommended models), or will the model in question operate in a different manner?

I searched through this forum and a couple others and couldn't find anything on this exact model, or anything definitive regarding random orbital sanders. Any help is greatly appreciated!

aray
08-23-2012, 12:00 PM
found this on garagejournal

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127918

take fwiw - don't know how credible this source is, but it appears to make sense

If it doesn't come with a backing plate you'll need one, and you'll need pads. Check out detailersdomain.

iahawkeye
08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the response, aray.

Yeah, it does make sense...I'm just concerned that this sander/polisher would have a slightly different motion to it. Kind of like those power sanders that vibrate as well as have a random orbit.

So instead of a sanding backing plate, I would need a separate/different backing plate for the polishing pad? Not sure if I follow that part.

TOGWT
08-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the response, aray.

Yeah, it does make sense...I'm just concerned that this sander/polisher would have a slightly different motion to it. Kind of like those power sanders that vibrate as well as have a random orbit.

So instead of a sanding backing plate, I would need a separate/different backing plate for the polishing pad? Not sure if I follow that part.

These types of polisher / sander are all Random Orbial or Dual action machine (random elliptical centripetal orbit) is one that has two controlled components of the backing plate / pad; orbiting around a centre spindle, while the baking plate / pad freely spins on its own axis. The backing plate mounting is off-centre, as the drive rotates centrifugal force moves the backing plate in an elliptical motion, to balance this motion a counter weight is fitted to counteract machine vibration

The pad rotation of a duel-action is driven by its orbital speed. The faster the machine orbits, the more centrifugal force is applied to the backing plate, which results in its random elliptical centripetal orbit (OPM). A pad with a large contact area absorbs the orbital action due to its high surface resistance.

Call Phil at Detailers Domain and ask him about the Uber foam pads and backing plate, he is very knowledable and extremly hepful

iahawkeye
08-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Ok, so the only difference then is the backing plate. Thanks TOGWT.

I'll get in touch with Phil too.

Thank again!

Revelation19
09-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Here's a kit (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=12368&url=detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-M29/Porter-Cable-7424XP-55-Starter-Kit-P457/) that has everything you may need for the Porter Cable. You can buy the the backing plate, pads, etc. separately. The link has a good write up on the Porter Cable too.