PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Ride Height

alan0108
06-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum. I want to get a x5 4.4i very soon. But the dealer has a hard time to locate a car with the adjustable ride height option plus other options that I want for me. I just would like to know comments on this option. Good or bad?

Also, my understanding to this option is that you can adjust the height of the car manually. So, without this option, does the car adjust the height automatically depending on the speed of the car? or it is just at one level?
Thanks in advance.

Emission
06-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I've had my X5 3.0 for about a year-and-a-half. I've never needed adjustable ride height - in fact I didn't even know you could get it! I know they have load leveling... but I didn't realize it worked on all four corners (most of the time, load leveling is only on the rear).

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. What are the other options you are looking for?

P.S. - My little sister just bought an IS300 at my suggestion. It's a great car!

bavarian19
06-23-2004, 11:20 PM
P.S. - My little sister just bought an IS300 at my suggestion. It's a great car!

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

My sister also drives an IS300, and to be honest, I think its a great car. A few things about the aesthetics get to me, but all in all, its a great car. Personally, I would stay with the Lexus before getting an X5.

What do you need the adjustable ride height for? I dont see the X5 as the off-roading type vehicle that could use the extra ground clearance. A friend of mine has the Range Rover with the adjustable ride height, and its pretty worthless other than to show off to friends. Why is this a must have option for you :dunno:

alan0108
06-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Thank you. Yes, I like my IS and I need an extra car... a bigger one. So I am thinking about the x5.

Maybe someone can explain to me how does this adjustable ride height option work.

The main reason I may want this option is because I want the car to be lower when it's on freeway or when taking turns... more stable?

I was reading the owner manual online, and the way it explains it is very confusing. What is the difference between 2-axle self-leveling suspension and adjustable ride height? Are they the same thing?

Also, I understand that the 4.4i comes with a standard automatic self-level suspension. What does this do? And what if there is a adjustable ride height option added on a 4.4i? Would the automatic self-leveling becomes manual self-leveling? I am just curious and confused.