PDA

View Full Version : OK... Who Knows The EXACT Dimensions Of the 8" Subs Under Our Seats?

TXSTYLE
09-07-2012, 03:18 PM
I am about tired of this paper plates known as a sub under my seats! :mad:

I want to keep my install "as simple as F'n possible!" Meaning no box in the trunk. If I had a ski pass-thru I might consider a box. I just need some more punch. I am seeing Earthquake and Alpine 'shallow mount thin subs' available but I want to be certain they will fit.

Are the factory subs in some sort of enclosure/box or simply in a space molded in the floor? Is it 1 or 2?

I can't find any pics/dimensions online...

~ Big Marcus

KingSilverback
09-07-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm in the same boat big bro, I love this car but the sound system is just ****ty, but I don't wanna put a big ol sub box in the trunk, yesterday I was thinking if I did put a box in the trunk maybe I'd go with two shallow subs and try blending them into the stock look of the car, I'd be interested to find out if we can replace the floor subs with aftermarket stuff

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

Rookie2008
09-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Tx I'm not sure what the exact dimensions are but Yes they are in some sort of enclosure which sits in the floor. Before I replaced mines with the OEM subs I was looking to go the same route with the EQ. I was advise by the stereo shop here in L.A that there will be no fitment issues. I don't have a exact asnwer on that cause I just went with a factory replacement.

TXSTYLE
09-07-2012, 03:38 PM
^^^ Yeah man this sh1t is ridiculous! I mean the braniacs in Germany should've known better than this BS! And then expecting the foking head/CD unit to drive a sub. mid and tweeter! WTF.

Check this post from another forum from 2006:

Postby silver525 Sun, 12 Sep 2010 12:35:22 UTC
I had Logic 7 in my last E65, that's why when I bought this car I set out to do the above. While some people seem to consider the L7 subwoofers not that great, I thought they were quite good. Certainly a good idea with them being ported into the sills.

I have actually fitted the Logic 7 woofers and tweeters into my front doors. There's a really big difference in that you now get as much bass from the front doors as you do the underseat woofers (I don't know if that just makes the underseat woofers more pathetic, but there you are!) and it's clean and punchy. If anyone wants to do this there seems no harm. There is a slight impedance difference so you lose a little volume but it's not a big difference and shouldn't cause any harm to the amplifier in the CD unit. I'd advise sticking with the standard tweeters as the L7 ones are titanium domed not soft domed like the standard ones and are therefore a bit bright for my liking.

I find it frustrating that BMW thought it was a good idea to run a relatively big subwoofer and a door speaker and tweeter off a single output from the CD head unit, I mean what!!! Anyway, it is the way it is...

The fact that it is mostly only europe that got the very basic system of course means that unless you speak german, other forums don't shine much light on what i'm considering doing.

One of the most bizarre things is that acording to wiring diagrams it is only the 7 series whose underseat woofers are wired in series (a single wire loops round from positive to negative on the subwoofer from the front door wiring.) The E60 5 Series and E90 3's etc don't have the underseat woofers wired like this on thier basic system. This is most frustrating for me because on these cars you could simply pick up your (speaker) line out at the subwoofers. whereas in the 7, you're going to have to find them elsewhere, like behind the CD head unit. Not impossible but a lot more work and effort, and this extra complexity has stopped me (so far!!)

TXSTYLE
09-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Tx I'm not sure what the exact dimensions are but Yes they are in some sort of enclosure which sits in the floor. Before I replaced mines with the OEM subs I was looking to go the same route with the EQ. I was advise by the stereo shop here in L.A that there will be no fitment issues. I don't have a exact asnwer on that cause I just went with a factory replacement.

Sorry if I forgot, but what did you end up doing?

Here are some options I'm looking into:

http://www.earthquakesound.com/SWS04.htm
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3SD28/Rockford-Fosgate-P3SD2-8.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130SW841D/Pioneer-TS-SW841D.html#customer-reviews-tab

They had to be Fkn 8"s! :mad:

If 10"s there are much nicer options:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236FPR1202/MTX-FPR12-02.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2060CVT654/Kicker-10CVT654.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_975E10W/HELIX-Esprit-E10W.html

TXSTYLE
09-07-2012, 03:48 PM
I am still trying to figure out if we are dealing with a removable box/enclosure or if it's a space molded into the floor? I mean I'd like to try some shallow mount 10's if possible!

Rookie2008
09-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Well its a 8" sub which sits in a rectangular style box. The box it self sits in the floor. I just used new OEM subs I never went with the EQ's. here is what the enclosure looks like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-7-SERIES-E65-E66-LOGIC7-SUB-WOOFERS-L7-OEM-02-03-04-05-745-74LI-/150890923200?hash=item2321ccc4c0&vxp=mtr

TXSTYLE
09-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the link.

Damn...

So what exactly did you do Rookie on ya install?

Rookie2008
09-07-2012, 04:09 PM
To be honest nothing. I just put replacement OEM subs back in. Its a pain in the rear to remove the subs too. 1st you have to remove the seat bolts then remove grille then the carpet, then there are like 3 nuts to remove 1st casing then then remove the enclosure then there are like 3 or 4 tiny screw to remove the enclosure lid then 3 screws holding the sub in place.

TXSTYLE
09-07-2012, 04:12 PM
To be honest nothing. I just put replacement OEM subs back in. Its a pain in the rear to remove the subs too. 1st you have to remove the seat bolts then remove grille then the carpet, then there are like 3 nuts to remove 1st casing then then remove the enclosure then there are like 3 or 4 tiny screw to remove the enclosure lid then 3 screws holding the sub in place.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8xvaq7d731qa7570.jpg

Rookie2008
09-07-2012, 04:12 PM
If you want a bit more bass you can get the flat pickup truck style boxes an put in the trunk so it don't take up too much room:dunno:. Maybe something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-150-Single-10-Sub-F150-Pickup-Subwoofer-Speaker-TRUCK-Box-Enclosure-MDF-/120953628673?pt=US_Speaker_Sub_Enclosures&hash=item1c2965e801&vxp=mtr

TXSTYLE
09-07-2012, 04:15 PM
If only I had the ski pass-thru I would def buy a box and port it thru that opening!

Rookie2008
09-07-2012, 04:21 PM
To be honest the car is ski pass an cool box ready. Meaning you can remove the plastic housing in the middle of the 2 seats an there will be a metal plate with foam insert in between. Then remove that an you have a ski pass without the bag. There are a few screws holding it in place. That's how my cool box fit there.

Rookie2008
09-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Ok so when you open your trunk you will see the panel which is located up against the rear seat back rest see pic 1. remove that
Then you will see a metal plate in pic 2 remove that.
Then remove foam padding which is located in pic 3. Remove that.
Then from the inside of the car remove plastic trim in pic 4.
From looking inside the trunk, the end results will look similar to the last pic in the link I sent you below.
From the interior point of view will look similar to pic 3.
If you can locate a Ski door an paint it your color you can put it in the middle of the seats so you can open an close that area as you please so you are not stuck looking at the hole an the subs. I hope this helps a little about putting subs in the trunk.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/20/24

TXSTYLE
09-07-2012, 04:50 PM
^^ Appreciate that post!

~ Big Marcus

Rookie2008
09-07-2012, 04:52 PM
No problem if you can find the ski bag door like this then you will be good to go. No one would know you have a box back there unless they open it.

AUBURNTIGERFAN
09-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Just finished wiring up an amp and box sub in my trunk literally 20 minutes ago. I had the ski pass and just took out the bag and built a plate to cover the hole. I covered the plate in black leather and used a Polk Audio speaker grille I had to cover the port. Turned out looking great and the bass now is awesome ! I am using a Polk Audio amp and a Blaupunkt 12 inch woofer in a small box. This, combined with the front tweeter replacement and front center channel replacement I did (prior post), have really upgraded the sound system- I'd now put it up against some of the aftermarket systems I've had before.

MakaveliFaison
09-07-2012, 07:04 PM
The enclosure under the seat can be removed. I put 8 inch earthquakes in there

Suri [TBR]
09-07-2012, 07:11 PM
The enclosure under the seat can be removed. I put 8 inch earthquakes in there

Did it make a huge difference? And how much did the whole setup run you? :D

blue22flames00
09-07-2012, 07:16 PM
;7060550']did it make a huge difference? And how much did the whole setup run you? :d

+1

wilk187
09-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Just finished wiring up an amp and box sub in my trunk literally 20 minutes ago. I had the ski pass and just took out the bag and built a plate to cover the hole. I covered the plate in black leather and used a Polk Audio speaker grille I had to cover the port. Turned out looking great and the bass now is awesome ! I am using a Polk Audio amp and a Blaupunkt 12 inch woofer in a small box. This, combined with the front tweeter replacement and front center channel replacement I did (prior post), have really upgraded the sound system- I'd now put it up against some of the aftermarket systems I've had before.

Pics??? I have aftermarket equip in my trunk also, but haven't put together a good cover/shroud for the ski-pass yet. thanks

Db750
09-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Ok so when you open your trunk you will see the panel which is located up against the rear seat back rest see pic 1. remove that
Then you will see a metal plate in pic 2 remove that.
Then remove foam padding which is located in pic 3. Remove that.
Then from the inside of the car remove plastic trim in pic 4.
From looking inside the trunk, the end results will look similar to the last pic in the link I sent you below.
From the interior point of view will look similar to pic 3.
If you can locate a Ski door an paint it your color you can put it in the middle of the seats so you can open an close that area as you please so you are not stuck looking at the hole an the subs. I hope this helps a little about putting subs in the trunk.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/20/24

Great post Rookie! :thumbup: Lovely garden/lawn as well. Your manservant deserves a treat. :)

Rookie2008
09-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Great post Rookie! :thumbup: Lovely garden/lawn as well. Your manservant deserves a treat. :)

Thanks Db but I almost fired him today. I was very displeased to see when I walked outside my grass is 1" too high. I can always tell when my feet starts to disappear in the rough;) I hate when that happens. Since you gave him a compliment on his gardens skills I guess we will give him another shot. :D

Rookie2008
09-07-2012, 09:15 PM
;7060550']Did it make a huge difference? And how much did the whole setup run you? :D

This is what I was going to put in my car before I replaced them with another pair of OEM subs. Only $263.00 you can install them your self just can be a pain in the ass if you strip the little torx screws.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-EARTHQUAKE-SOUND-SWS-8XI-8-SLIM-SUBWOOFER-2-OHM-2-/160785146848?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item256f8aa3e0&vxp=mtr

MakaveliFaison
09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
It made a difference. Only problem is from the outside you hear the floor rattling lol. So I suggest you put dynamat under the enclosure or something. I had a jl audio 250/1 pushing them. 250/1 turns on and off automatically without remote wire. I still have the subs installed but now i have 2 jl 12s for my bass due to the fact that floor rattling from outside didnt sound so nice.

quarterto8
09-07-2012, 10:34 PM

Lmao! David always has the funniest comments.

quarterto8
09-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Pics??? I have aftermarket equip in my trunk also, but haven't put together a good cover/shroud for the ski-pass yet. thanks

+1
I wanna see too! I have two 10" subs in the trunk and my floor subs disconnected and all new speakers. My car sounds amazing but I'd like to see how I can turn my subs facing the rear seats and make the port or whatever it's cAlled. Does the porting make that much of a difference?

jcharris
09-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Anyone ever looked into the stealth box with 2 ten's from JL Audio? This box is cool as the other side of the pillow but $1300 is really costly for some tens....

gmcclintock
09-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Anyone ever looked into the stealth box with 2 ten's from JL Audio? This box is cool as the other side of the pillow but $1300 is really costly for some tens....

A member on here was recently selling his because he was getting rid of his car. It is a cool box just a bit expensive in my opinion. I would bay 500-700 for it but the price they are asking is crazy.

TXSTYLE
09-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Those fuggers are smoking plain and simple. They have fine speakers but they are price gauging on their name alone.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

KingSilverback
09-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey TXSTYLE I was thinking If I upgraded my sound system I would replace all the speakers with the Bavarian Soundworks http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/602/174/bmw-speakers-upgrade-7-series-e65-e66/ , Leave the floor subs as they are and put a 12" sub in the ski pass, JL Audio is smoking rocks if they think we'll pay $1300 for that lil box with two tens in it. But I think this would improve the sound a lot. Anyone have an exact idea what size box fits in the ski pass? Rookie thanks for all that info too man

AUBURNTIGERFAN
09-08-2012, 02:46 PM
For those who asked for pics, here they are. I cut a 1/4" piece of plywood the size of the opening, cut out a "port", covered in black leather, added a grille I had and installed. I set it back in the opening a bit so that I can still close the flap and arm rest when I want to. The only thing I am waiting on is a quick connect plug http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8lLZmT8xP3t/p_120FASTPLG/VIBE-FastPlug.html which will allow me to quickly remove the amp from my trunk when I need the space. I'll clean up and route the wiring when I receive this. I purchased the amp new but opened box and the subwoofer and enclosure for $150 (both). The first amp wiring kit I bought was garbage, so I had to buy another ($50), so I have a total of about $200 invested for everything. This gives me all the bass I would ever need- I had to turn down the amp gain because it was too much !

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/9316/img1458l.jpg
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6626/img1460hz.jpg
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3059/img1461ge.jpg
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1924/img1462l.jpg

wilk187
09-08-2012, 07:07 PM
interesting...i just took the ski pass out so when i fold down the seat you can see a bit of sheet metal on the edges. Thats what i want the shroud/trim to cover. Looks good man. Guess that will give me a project for the next couple of weeks

Rookie2008
09-08-2012, 07:11 PM

Emeer18
09-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Im think about putting a system in mine too. I used to have a JL 1000/1v1 powering 4 Fosgate P3D415's. But i think thats to much power for this car. My question is, what adapter did everybody use to connect there L7 to there aftermarket amp? And has anybody experimented with putting a second battery or capacitor with there new system?

Emeer18
09-09-2012, 05:36 AM
+1
I wanna see too! I have two 10" subs in the trunk and my floor subs disconnected and all new speakers. My car sounds amazing but I'd like to see how I can turn my subs facing the rear seats and make the port or whatever it's cAlled. Does the porting make that much of a difference?

To make your subs face the seats get your box built backwords. In my experience with ports, well it depends what you want. I never liked a ported box. With a port sound may travel barely noticibly farther. The thing i noticed with a port aswell is you loose the smooth vibration, its like the subs are driven as strong. I would recommend you get a vented box. Its a small rectangular port. It lets sound travel and keeps air in the box

jkidem
09-09-2012, 07:57 AM
you thought about doing this in the backseat center console using kickers i seen this on a 7 but cant find the pic or post

http://blondesearch.ru/img/32/32c/1999_2005_BMW_330ci_E46_convertible_custom_fibergl ass_subwoofer_speaker_box_Solo_Baric_L7.jpg

KingSilverback
09-10-2012, 11:13 PM
you thought about doing this in the backseat center console using kickers i seen this on a 7 but cant find the pic or post

http://blondesearch.ru/img/32/32c/1999_2005_BMW_330ci_E46_convertible_custom_fibergl ass_subwoofer_speaker_box_Solo_Baric_L7.jpg

That looks pretty neat, Here's my final idea for the sound system I wanna put together for my car, I'm thinking buy Technic's L7 Harness, Have a box made similar to the JL Audio Stealthbox that holds one 12" sub and install an amp in the trunk floor out of sight. Then instead of powering the floor subs with the L7 Amp I'll use the other amp to power them through Technics Harness and also power the 12" sub from that same amp (thought about replacing the floor subs with two 8" earthquake subs but I think this is a better idea). My question to the knowledgeable sound guys on here is what 12" sub would you recommend and also what kind of amp since I would use it to power floor subs + the 12' sub??

My objective is to keep everything looking stock even after the install so no one will even know I have a sub in the trunk just by looking

First_745Li
09-11-2012, 08:31 AM
That looks pretty neat, Here's my final idea for the sound system I wanna put together for my car, I'm thinking buy Technic's L7 Harness, Have a box made similar to the JL Audio Stealthbox that holds one 12" sub and install an amp in the trunk floor out of sight. Then instead of powering the floor subs with the L7 Amp I'll use the other amp to power them through Technics Harness and also power the 12" sub from that same amp (thought about replacing the floor subs with two 8" earthquake subs but I think this is a better idea). My question to the knowledgeable sound guys on here is what 12" sub would you recommend and also what kind of amp since I would use it to power floor subs + the 12' sub??

My objective is to keep everything looking stock even after the install so no one will even know I have a sub in the trunk just by looking

You guys are killing me..lol.. I am tempted to add this to my list of mods. When I first bought the car, note to self: leave well enough alone.....guess what? I didnt listen..lol

TXSTYLE
09-11-2012, 08:45 AM
You guys are killing me..lol.. I am tempted to add this to my list of mods. When I first bought the car, note to self: leave well enough alone.....guess what? I didnt listen..lol

That's what its all about my man. ;)

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

KingSilverback
09-11-2012, 09:09 AM

lol do it!!! I think that would make a great set up seriously. I said I wouldn't go crazy with mods too which I didn't except upgrading lighting to LED's, but ever since my L7 amp took a crap on me and it wasn't that great to begin with I think a sound upgrade is in order. I love music so I need a good setup with solid bass

TXSTYLE
09-16-2012, 05:32 PM
So I wanted to chime in real quick on this subject...

My boy who recently picked up a 03' 745i brought his car by for me to check it out.

I was AMAZED at the 'punch' his stereo had! :yikes: Stock Logic 7 but boy did the factory under seat subs hit hard as fok! I could NOT believe what I was hearing!
So after researching this subject all over the net and talking with Illya, it appears that the L7 Amp simply is a crap shoot. Meaning eventually it will fail. When is the question? In the case of my friends car, he is VERY fortunate to not have experienced this. His stereo hits waaaaaaay harder than my much newer and lower mileage 750.

If my car had as nice low-end as his, I'd be content! So I will be getting my L7 amp fixed first and then decide if changing subs is needed.

~ Big Marcus

KingSilverback
09-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Is your amp broken or are you just I said f it and I'm gettin the earthquakes this week and power em with an RE 1000.1 amp and later add the 12 in the trunk, gonna dynamat the floor around the enclosure

TXSTYLE
09-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Is your amp broken or are you just I said f it and I'm gettin the earthquakes this week and power em with an RE 1000.1 amp and later add the 12 in the trunk, gonna dynamat the floor around the enclosure

Nice! I'm subject to change my my mind lol! I have the crackling speakers in rear doors and underwhelmed sound from subs which are typical of failing L7 amp.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

KingSilverback
09-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Nice! I'm subject to change my my mind lol! I have the crackling speakers in rear doors and underwhelmed sound from subs which are typical of failing L7 amp.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

Oh yes it's only a matter of days now, one side usually dies first before the other lol