PDA

View Full Version : battery dead

jrbeamer
09-08-2012, 08:31 AM
hey yall,
my 06 750 this morning would not start ...Dead Battery!!:thumbdwn:,does anyone know if its safe to jump star car with a batt. charger??:dunno: its not a new battery and never had an issue even with the high powered audio system that rarely get turned all the way up...car has been siting for exactly 10 days...any info ?

sirstopher
09-08-2012, 09:04 AM
I would just charge the battery, I don't know if I would use the charger to start the car??? I have read people using one of the emergency power packs.

1bad540
09-08-2012, 09:20 AM
If its the orig battery may be a good time to install a fresh one and have it programmed.

jrbeamer
09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
So yesterday...had car towed to a local shop(master European)so they can install the new battery($235) for $65 including programming.afterwards had a BMW tech (sergžo)change the sparkplugs($17ngkbmw) & adjust all settings of car etc. for $75.car seemed to improve response time &performance

jrbeamer
09-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Total labor $140 vs dealer of $189.99 to program batt. Wo!....don't know what dealer charge for spark plug change,I can only imagine what they do......

bluemaple
09-19-2012, 10:08 AM
This comes from my experience and understanding about the whole myth about programing/registering a new battery to the car.

As you may all know, BMW and most of the new sophisticated cars elecrical/electronic components are very sensitive and depend on the power from the battery. A main computer chip or multiple chips are responislbe for various functions of the car.

If you replace the battery before it is completely dead and with the exact same amperage then you don't need to PROGRAM/REGISTER it with the car.

Otherwise, it is a must!!!. Alternator that charges the battery is controlled by the computer chip(not like the old cars or any other less expenisive new cars for that matter). So, if the computer on the car doesn't know that you have installed, even a slightly different one, then it will charge the battery according to the old information it had before you replace the battery and that will ruin your battery and or the alternator in the long run.

Howerver, if the battery is dead for quite some time, then you might have a whole new problem with the car and it might need a dealer attention to program/register the battery to the car. When the car doesn't have any power source for long time, it lose all or most of the vital information and it will need to be re-programmed. It might sound funny, but you need to understand that all these mechanical parts are nowadays controlled by electronic logic boards/chips. This make everything fancy/faster/smarter but at a cost, for sure. Hope this helps to clear the battery myth.

Note: most of the BMW E60 cars came with the 110 amperage battery and they don't make them anymore. Now they make the 92 amperage battery and that requires programming. Eveything might work now, but might not for long time without programing/registering with the car. The post is little too long, I'm sorry if it has too much information. I thought I'll share everything I know to help.

sirstopher
09-19-2012, 12:05 PM
It is a MUST to register any new battery with INPA for the e65/66.

If not you will run into strange things happening like the max AC not working.

This is from my own experience and is a huge problem with people running into items not working correctly.

kpphoto
11-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I recently had problems with my '03 that I bought privately just 2 months ago.

It would not start if I would leave my 4 ways on or the radio or an open trunk or door for more than a few mins. I had several boosts, went on a 200+ mile trip, but the problem kept coming back. I knew there must be a module draining the battery.

I took it to my BMW Dealer (OH YES I did)...and they found the problem.

#1 - Battery was not original and had been a no name replacement.
#2 - Battery could not hold charge any more because,
#3 - Boomerang Tracking System -also known as LoJack in the USA, factory installed, was drawing power and killing the battery.

Dealer tested the battery and confirmed it could not hold a charge.
They installed a new gel battery and did a power drain diagnostics.
Finding a drain happening after the 30 min sleep time they figured it was the tracking system module. They contacted BMW GERMANY to find out where it was installed (hidden), removed it and the drain went away. As it was an original analogue model and not of any use it in today's digital world, it got chucked.

End of problem.

Final bill............only $1150. :cry:

It could have been worse if it had been an alternator or / or / or etc...

BMW ... Bring My Wallet. :thumbup: