PDA

View Full Version : Dension Gateway 500 in E65 02-05, please post success/horror stories

TUF-FKR
09-09-2012, 10:28 AM
I have an 02 E65 and my ultimate goal would be to stream music via Blackberry. Ideally Bluetooth (which my car does not have today), I would be satisfied initially with using headphone jack as some kind of AUX input.

I have seen the ASK/MMI Facelift, and that is not the path I would like to go down. It appears that the Gateway 500 will get you that and possibly a little more with some adiitional add-ons (Bluetooth, AVI inputs for videos).

I have tried to search this to see if there are any threads that cover this but I was unable to find anything specific to the E65.

Here is the link http://shop.dension.com/en/gateway-500

Amazon has it a little cheaper.

mokh
09-09-2012, 12:35 PM
i've bought the Grom Most box, it works just like the Dension 500 but a lot cheaper :)
unfortunately, i havent been able to get it to work yet...i've tried everything but in vain! i'm starting to think that its not possible nd ive been scammed!

stuartjohn24
09-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi,

I have heard of issues with the dension system and its poor technical support. Thats the main reason I opted for the genuine iPod interface, which I must say is great! Although you need the facelift MMI for it to work, and an iPod/iPhone.....

I try to steer away from anything aftermarket due to the fact you cant guarantee its reliability, especially in a car thats as complicated as the E65/66

I imagine most people will tell you to do the tuner mod, thats about the most realistic and cheap option for a hardwired AUX input. Is there any particular reason you dont want to swap out the MMI or ASK?

I havent had any experience with adding bluetooth, other than the TCU retrofit detailed on this forum. Dension offer a bluetooth kit, but I have no idea of its capabilities, the site seemed a little vague.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

stuartjohn24
09-09-2012, 04:16 PM
i've bought the Grom Most box, it works just like the Dension 500 but a lot cheaper :)
unfortunately, i havent been able to get it to work yet...i've tried everything but in vain! i'm starting to think that its not possible nd ive been scammed!

Which model have you got? The MMI may need coding for it to function, does it imitate the CD changer?

Stuart

DriftGirl
09-09-2012, 06:30 PM
The GROM Most unit doesnt support IDRIVE

Slick444
09-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I have mobridge in one of my cars. Gives you both bluetooth and auc and dock option. Works like a charm. I can take a video if need be.

sirstopher
09-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I got a 100.00 solution for you.

I got the idea today and I am going to try it out as soon as I can. I know allot of you here are tech guys so I will go ahead and let you in on my solution without spending over 100 bucks.

I know this will work on android and iPhone. I am not sure about a blackberry???????

So here is my idea.

1. Do the fm tuner aux mod. It's listed here on the forum. This gives you a 1/8" mini din, but wait.
2. You can run a wire to your center console but my idea is to buy the "tunelink" fm modulator.
3. This plugs into your lighter socket and transmits via fm or 1/8" mini din.

So the idea is to grab 12 volt at the fm tuner after you hardware the 1/8" mini din into the tunelink. Screw the fm modulator use the included jack. Power the unit right at the fm module and pack the tunelink in the pillar.

Tunelink then connects via Bluetooth to your phone, you are hard wired from the tunelink to the fm module.

If you split the Chanel's you could go ahead and run a aux cable to the console or install the tunelink anywhere you have 12 volt power and plug in the aux.

I think this would be a total hidden solution and allow Bluetooth Connection to the audio system.

This will not allow connection of the phone? But the audio will work.

I am looking at diagrams for the tunelink system as I would love to have the RDS work also. Right now I transmit with the fm station, and all my music is displayed on the Idrive.

Thoughts?

I think it's a total hands free music player for the older cars without an aux plug and without spending 1000's on upgrading all the modules.

mokh
09-18-2012, 01:08 AM
The GROM Most unit doesnt support IDRIVE

they didnt at first but after countless battles with their support team they finally claimed to support iDrive. I have yet to see it working :S

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Bimmer App

TUF-FKR
09-19-2012, 05:25 PM
So, I dont want to do the facelift MMI/ASK due to cost. I think spending over $1k on ANY OEM radio is horse$hit. I have always had rockin systems in my cars growing up. I could drop an external COMPLETE system with Large Serius Satellite/Ipod/Video, amps, subs, mids/tweets, etc.. for around $1200. BUT, it wont go through the CAN BUS system of the car (No steering wheel control, existing MMI controls...)

So, spending $1500 to get an AUX jack out of the OEM Unit.. Thats just not happening. I most likely will go down the path of Hard-wiring my FM module (was quoted $100 for installation at High end car stereo shop).

Thanks for the input. Cris, let me know how your Tunelink works out. That sounds interesting.

roadfrog
09-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Based on this post and comments about the Tunelink, I decided to take a shot and ordered it last week overnight delivery from Amazon and have used it for a week.....

This thing is the BOMB! Charges my Iphone at 2.1 amps and has GREAT sound. No wires (other than the charge), AND it displays the song and artist as it plays on the Idrive!

YAAAAY!!

PAPER
09-21-2012, 05:42 PM
I got a 100.00 solution for you.

I got the idea today and I am going to try it out as soon as I can. I know allot of you here are tech guys so I will go ahead and let you in on my solution without spending over 100 bucks.

I know this will work on android and iPhone. I am not sure about a blackberry???????

So here is my idea.

1. Do the fm tuner aux mod. It's listed here on the forum. This gives you a 1/8" mini din, but wait.
2. You can run a wire to your center console but my idea is to buy the "tunelink" fm modulator.
3. This plugs into your lighter socket and transmits via fm or 1/8" mini din.

So the idea is to grab 12 volt at the fm tuner after you hardware the 1/8" mini din into the tunelink. Screw the fm modulator use the included jack. Power the unit right at the fm module and pack the tunelink in the pillar.

Tunelink then connects via Bluetooth to your phone, you are hard wired from the tunelink to the fm module.

If you split the Chanel's you could go ahead and run a aux cable to the console or install the tunelink anywhere you have 12 volt power and plug in the aux.

I think this would be a total hidden solution and allow Bluetooth Connection to the audio system.

This will not allow connection of the phone? But the audio will work.

I am looking at diagrams for the tunelink system as I would love to have the RDS work also. Right now I transmit with the fm station, and all my music is displayed on the Idrive.

Thoughts?

I think it's a total hands free music player for the older cars without an aux plug and without spending 1000's on upgrading all the modules.

This sounds like a solid method , & at
$100. I'm surprised there hasn't been more
Members trying this .

I have no need to do it since I have the OEM
BMW ipod kit , along with the tuner &
Video mod ( I can wAtch movies off my ipod )

But I would like to hear about the results
You get . So please post up your results
& let us know about the sound quality &
Everything .

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

sirstopher
09-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Not to hijack a thread....but

Right now I am just so happy with the little plugin. The fm modulator is super clear, I can hear a little hiss but after three months of ownership I am very happy with it.

The item that is sticking in my head about the hard wiring is that the unit auto detects the Bluetooth, so any time you get in the car with your Bluetooth on the fm will not work unless you have a switch.

Everything always sounds good on paper but until the hard wiring of the tunelink it's all in the air.

I love the fact that my playlist displays and I have multiple playlist on my phone so I can choose the titles as needed.

It works extremely well right out of the box and is in my eyes a great solution so far without spending hundreds.