PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with the shadowline on the GC?

southern6er22
09-09-2012, 10:00 PM
The first 650i GC has made it to my dealership (640i GC made a brief appearance about a month ago - didn't sit around as long as most 6ers here) recently.

Observation #1: Either I moved to Australia without knowing it, or BMW is allowing the GC to enter the U.S. in Black Sapphire combined with M Sport. I checked the BYO site, and this combo is still impossible for the coupe. What's going on with this madess? I know asking to explain crazy isn't an easy task, but I'm curious if there is some reason for these strange restrictions.

Observation #2: Why are the test GC's (media vehicles) with M Sport built with shadowline, but the two GC's I've seen in person built with M Sport sans shadowline (they have the standard aluminum). Is there any pattern or reasoning behind this, or is BMW just trying to screw with our heads?

xDrive McGee
09-10-2012, 04:12 PM
You know, when I placed my order for the 2013 650, I got the sense that BMW was more willing to play ball with "non-standard" options - and maybe that is what you are seeing? A model that technically not doable, but doable?

djsaad1
09-10-2012, 08:06 PM
In the gran coupe brochure it shows an option to get shadow line, but I don't see an option when you build one online.

XZLR8
09-10-2012, 09:40 PM
In the US, shadowline on the GC is a "special order" option, similar to the way it was on my '12 Coupe.

djsaad1
09-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Does it cost extra? I am going to place an order for the frozen bronze not sure if it would look better with shadowline or with the chrome

XZLR8
09-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Does it cost extra? I am going to place an order for the frozen bronze not sure if it would look better with shadowline or with the chrome

If I recall on my Coupe, special ordering Shadowline Trim was $450 (retail). I don't yet know what the cost is for the GC, but my dealership is submitting the request today, so I should find out shortly.

Frozen Bronze is gorgeous and would probably look great with either trim, although I always prefer cars with Shadowline. Are you concerned about taking care of the "frozen" paint?

djsaad1
09-11-2012, 06:22 AM
After reading about it, it doesn't seem like it takes too much to maintain. But I am also leasing the car, so I am not too worried about it.

XZLR8
09-11-2012, 06:25 AM
After reading about it, it doesn't seem like it takes too much to maintain. But I am also leasing the car, so I am not too worried about it.

Well, it's going to look amazing, I'm sure.

djsaad1
09-11-2012, 07:14 AM
I need to place my order today, and I really can't decide. Any other opinions? Here is a frozen bronze with shadowline http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661378 and here is one without http://www.autoevolution.com/testdrive/bmw-6-series-gran-coupe-test-drive-2012/i-4397.html

xDrive McGee
09-11-2012, 09:09 AM
My 2c. If you really like the way it looks, maintenance should be a secondary concern. Go for it!