Black Leather
Steptronic
Xenon Lights
Privacy Glass
Premium Pkg
Sport Pkg
MSRP is $44,220.00
Selling is $40,400.00 + T&L

anyway, i have 2 problems and wanted to know if anyone else experiences it.

1. everytime i start up my car the passenger side mirror powers downward. i know it does this when you go in reverse but i will be pulling out of my driveway and driving for bout 5 minutes and it is still aimed downwards. how can i get this to go back to the normal position. i have to readjust the passenger mirror every time i drive the car.

2. my girlfriend is pretty light, less than 95 lbs and when she sits on the passenger side a lot of times the light that says PASS AIR BAG OFF is on. its like it doesnt recognize her sitting there.

anyone else experience these issues? how did you fix it?

LeucX3
06-25-2004, 01:27 PM
I haven't experienced either of those issues. Although i'm sure #1 could be taken care of at the dealer. You might have to take your gf to McDonald's more than a few times to take care of #2. :D

Desertnate
06-25-2004, 02:18 PM
You might have to take your gf to McDonald's more than a few times to take care of #2. :D

:rofl:

Other threads here show a problem like that in the new 5 series with anyone under 120lbs. I wonder if they are related :confused:

BMWNA
07-07-2004, 01:28 PM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

johntchow
07-08-2004, 12:18 PM
VATKENS, how will i be contacted? I was contacted yesterday from BMW NA inquiring about what I thought about my X3 after 2 weeks. I told them the problems I had and they didnt seem to really care. They just wanted to ask me 2 questions, on a scale of 1-5 how would i rate the design of the X3 and the overall rating of the X3.

I've talked to my dealer and he told me I would have to bring in the car with my girlfriend sitting on the passenger side with a technician watching. They aren't even sure the sensitivity can be adjusted but he did say that the minimum weight requirement was 90 lbs.

I also have other problems with my X3. but the 2 biggest ones are the passenger side windows has to be readjusted everytime i start my car and the passenger airbag being disabled for anyone less than 90 lbs.

some other problems i have with the X3:

1. driving over 40 mph with all the window closed and the roof open creates A LOT of noise and causes the car to vibrate pretty bad. once a window is open it seems like the pressure is balanced and the noice and vibration is less noticeable.

2. sometimes as i am backing up in reverse the roof wont slide open, it will only tilt open.

3. is there a way to set the lights on the car to flash when you uinlock and lock the door?

i can be contacted at:

john chow
714-335-0343
johntchow@yahoo.com

THANKS!

cantona7
07-09-2004, 07:19 AM
John, you can have the dealer program your car to flash the lights. I'm assuming you don't have the alarm installed, right?

beware_phog
07-09-2004, 08:59 AM
VATKENS, how will i be contacted? I was contacted yesterday from BMW NA inquiring about what I thought about my X3 after 2 weeks. I told them the problems I had and they didnt seem to really care. They just wanted to ask me 2 questions, on a scale of 1-5 how would i rate the design of the X3 and the overall rating of the X3.

I've talked to my dealer and he told me I would have to bring in the car with my girlfriend sitting on the passenger side with a technician watching. They aren't even sure the sensitivity can be adjusted but he did say that the minimum weight requirement was 90 lbs.

I also have other problems with my X3. but the 2 biggest ones are the passenger side windows has to be readjusted everytime i start my car and the passenger airbag being disabled for anyone less than 90 lbs.

some other problems i have with the X3:

1. driving over 40 mph with all the window closed and the roof open creates A LOT of noise and causes the car to vibrate pretty bad. once a window is open it seems like the pressure is balanced and the noice and vibration is less noticeable.

2. sometimes as i am backing up in reverse the roof wont slide open, it will only tilt open.

3. is there a way to set the lights on the car to flash when you uinlock and lock the door?

i can be contacted at:

john chow
714-335-0343
johntchow@yahoo.com

THANKS!

I experienced none of the problems you seem to be having. If you check the manual regarding the "air bag off" sign, it states the weight limits and why the light comes on (or turns off). I'd be interested in hearing whether the weight limit can be set by a dealer.

EVERY car has noise with the sun roof open and the windows closed. The wind can't come in without having any place to go. That is why when you open a window a little bit the noise goes down as it improves the flow.

I think you just need to get to know you car a little better. Assuming this is your first BMW as I found that most everything in the X3 works just like is does in a 330 (i.e mirrors, etc).

johntchow
07-09-2004, 02:11 PM
i have the factory alarm installed... can this one be programmed to flash the exterior lights of the car? when i asked the dealer he said they could program it to flash the red interior bulb under the rearview mirror but then he came back and told me that they this feature wasnt supported in the version of software for the 2004 X3.

and yes this is my first BMW. as far as making noise from the roof when its open and no windows open, yes its true, but it even make the car vibrate more. if you have the X3 try diriving it on the freeway at greater than 40 mph with the roof completely slid open with no windows open and the radio off. the car seems to vibrate harder and the noise is REALLY loud. the reason is cause on the X3 theres this guard thing with a nested webbing that rises up when the roof is slid open completely. i dont think this happens on your 330.

as for the passenger side power mirrors, i dunno what the hell is up with it. if i press my memory 1 button once it will power the passenger mirror one direction. if i press it again it powers in another direction. the thing is just screwed up. im taking it to the dealer to get checked out next week though.

SergioK
07-09-2004, 02:47 PM
and yes this is my first BMW. as far as making noise from the roof when its open and no windows open, yes its true, but it even make the car vibrate more. if you have the X3 try diriving it on the freeway at greater than 40 mph with the roof completely slid open with no windows open and the radio off. the car seems to vibrate harder and the noise is REALLY loud. the reason is cause on the X3 theres this guard thing with a nested webbing that rises up when the roof is slid open completely. i dont think this happens on your 330.

Wind buffeting at different speeds is something that just occurs. The MBZ W124 chassis (mid 90's 300E model) was particularly bad if only one of the rear windows was rolled even half way down.

beware_phog
07-11-2004, 10:22 AM
i have the factory alarm installed... can this one be programmed to flash the exterior lights of the car? when i asked the dealer he said they could program it to flash the red interior bulb under the rearview mirror but then he came back and told me that they this feature wasnt supported in the version of software for the 2004 X3.

as for the passenger side power mirrors, i dunno what the hell is up with it. if i press my memory 1 button once it will power the passenger mirror one direction. if i press it again it powers in another direction. the thing is just screwed up. im taking it to the dealer to get checked out next week though.

Be sure and set your mirrors when you are NOT in reverse. Put it in Park and set 'em up. That is your standard view. When you flip to reverse, the right mirror will angle down if you have the mirror selector flipped to the right side. If you have the mirror selector on the left, then your right hand mirror will stay up.

I find it very convenient as sometime you want to see the curb and sometimes you don't need to and just want it normal.

asnpcwiz
07-12-2004, 06:33 AM
2. my girlfriend is pretty light, less than 95 lbs and when she sits on the passenger side a lot of times the light that says PASS AIR BAG OFF is on. its like it doesnt recognize her sitting there.

Has anyone suggested using phonebooks to help weight her down?? Hahah, just kidding...I hope you get all your problems resolved. Sucks to have problems with a new car.

johntchow
07-13-2004, 10:53 AM
hey everyone, i ended up getting a Fedex letter from BMW NA customer support. They said i need to go to the dealer to get my key reprogrammed and that would fix the problem with the passenger side rearview mirror. As for the airbag issue they said they havent had any problem reports with it for the X3 but in the new 5 series it seemed to only recognize weight of greater than 115lbs. they told me to take the car back to the dealer and have them look at it.

Emission
07-13-2004, 10:58 AM
"...hey everyone, i ended up getting a Fedex letter from BMW NA customer support."

I think that is pretty good customer support from BMWNA! :thumbup:

It's nice to see they read this board.

LeucX3
07-13-2004, 01:50 PM
I think that is pretty good customer support from BMWNA! :thumbup:

It's nice to see they read this board.
It's also nice to know that F1 sponsorship runs more than just advertising $. :D

johntchow
07-28-2004, 10:18 AM
just an update on my situation: i dropped off my X3 at the dealer last friday and theyre working on the car still...

the passgener mirror problem i had they said they have fixed and it was due to a bad motor on that side. they replaced it with another mirror from one of there other X3's and it works fine now.

they recoded the program in the car that measures the weight of the passenger and they said that this has fixed the problem of not recognizing persons under 100 lbs.

and they said they ordered the lubricants yesterday to fix all the creaking. so this fix should be done today.

they also mentioned that the loud noise from the moonroof is most likely a design flaw and they would get back to me if there is anything they can do. im currently driving a loaner, a 325ci optioned out and when i drive with the moonroof slid completely open, there is virtually no noise.

i havent seen my car yet after he called me last nite to actually test if everything works as he claims but im willing to believe him. ill update here after i get my car back.

LeucX3
07-28-2004, 11:01 AM
just an update on my situation: i dropped off my X3 at the dealer last friday and theyre working on the car still...

the passgener mirror problem i had they said they have fixed and it was due to a bad motor on that side. they replaced it with another mirror from one of there other X3's and it works fine now.

they recoded the program in the car that measures the weight of the passenger and they said that this has fixed the problem of not recognizing persons under 100 lbs.

and they said they ordered the lubricants yesterday to fix all the creaking. so this fix should be done today.

they also mentioned that the loud noise from the moonroof is most likely a design flaw and they would get back to me if there is anything they can do. im currently driving a loaner, a 325ci optioned out and when i drive with the moonroof slid completely open, there is virtually no noise.

i havent seen my car yet after he called me last nite to actually test if everything works as he claims but im willing to believe him. ill update here after i get my car back.
Sounds like they're on everything, even though a bit slow. I had the door seals lubed in mine yesterday and works the way it should now...silently.

The roof opening is extra large, so maybe that's why. :dunno: Hope you're eventually satisfied with it.

xspeedy
10-18-2004, 05:28 PM
Good to know there is a fix for the airbag. My wife at 112 lbs didn't seem quite heavy enough to keep the airbag active. It was kind of intermittent with her during our European Delivery tour.

X5M5
10-19-2004, 04:01 PM
The sunroof thing is common with all cars. A coupe won't have that issue as it's a smaller vehicle.

Buy a aftermarket sunroof deflector, that should solve your problems.